Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 17
[East Coast] Really beautiful 6 window blue Skoolie at a steal of a price

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...3800-120336419


Check it out. If I was in NY or PA I would be all on it.
elrayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 751
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrayes View Post
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...3800-120336419


Check it out. If I was in NY or PA I would be all on it.
As the proud owner of a bus from NY, I'd recommend getting photos of the underside, specifically of the wheel wells, so you can get a sense of the rust situation. You can see significant rust poking through the new paint job on the back.

Better pics of the seats would be good too, specifically of where they're bolted to the floor. On my bus at least, the degree of rustiness of those bolt heads was a good indicator of how rusty the floor underneath it turned out to be.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,272
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrayes View Post
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...3800-120336419


Check it out. If I was in NY or PA I would be all on it.
Looks like its rotten at the rear. That rust never sleeps.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,656
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Looks like its rotten at the rear. That rust never sleeps.

exactly the same spot you had to fix on your last amtran... and i remember you had to do some work... that looks 3X worse than that bus was on those corners..



4.78 rear gears, mid profile tires, T-444E, AT545 it will be a 62 MPH top speed bus..


-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 751
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
exactly the same spot you had to fix on your last amtran... and i remember you had to do some work... that looks 3X worse than that bus was on those corners..



4.78 rear gears, mid profile tires, T-444E, AT545 it will be a 62 MPH top speed bus..


-Christopher
Do you happen to have a link to something about this issue? I have rust in the same spot on my bus and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about it.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,272
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Do you happen to have a link to something about this issue? I have rust in the same spot on my bus and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about it.
Its usually rotten inside worse than outside.
IC/AmTran seem to rust here the worst.

This was under the reflective tape on Sandi's bus-



They also like to rust under the windows on the rear.

This was inside mine on the rear. I soaked it all in rust converter then patched it up. sandi's walls are completely rotted out inside though. Patched it the best I could.


If shopping for a keeper I'd just avoid rusty buses. Too much work and in the end its never gonna be as good as just starting with a solid example.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 751
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If shopping for a keeper I'd just avoid rusty buses. Too much work and in the end its never gonna be as good as just starting with a solid example.
Yeah, that horse (name's "Rusty") has left the barn - I've gotta deal with what's there in my bus. My back end is in similar shape as these pics, and I have bubbling paint where the license plate goes.

What is actually the source of this rust in this spot? Does the back end leak in various places and water accumulates inside the back wall?
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,656
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the back of a bus is sloped down a bit.. and takes a LOT of water spray from the road, take that many times the window seal on the back windows starts to shrink and split with UV and you end up with water in the wall. it also can come from slight leaks around warning lights, clearance lights, etc on the top cap..



Leaks in the front of a bus will get lots of complaints from the driver to the bus barn, leaks in the back, the kids may never notice unless it drips directly on them so they get left untouched..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,272
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeah, that horse (name's "Rusty") has left the barn - I've gotta deal with what's there in my bus. My back end is in similar shape as these pics, and I have bubbling paint where the license plate goes.

What is actually the source of this rust in this spot? Does the back end leak in various places and water accumulates inside the back wall?
YEah moisture accumulates. I think its the poor window seal but ANY source of moisture will lead to this. The moisture gets trapped in the ass end and causes MAJOR rot.
This is just SOME of what came out-

That used to be the structure of the rear wall of the bus!

Honestly, I'd just kill the rust as best you can, cut off the stuff on the surface and patch it up.







__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 751
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the back of a bus is sloped down a bit.. and takes a LOT of water spray from the road, take that many times the window seal on the back windows starts to shrink and split with UV and you end up with water in the wall. it also can come from slight leaks around warning lights, clearance lights, etc on the top cap..



Leaks in the front of a bus will get lots of complaints from the driver to the bus barn, leaks in the back, the kids may never notice unless it drips directly on them so they get left untouched..

-Christopher
I'm planning on making my rear internal wall as an easily (hopefully) removable panel, so I can periodically check the watertightness back there from inside. I'd like to build the whole bus this way, but not really practical.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.