Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
EMERGENCY Exterior Light Monitor Needed

Any chance of finding a 16 light indicator panel? It's the thing on the dash panel that lights up to show you what lights are doing what on your rig. Mine off of a 1990 Thomas (International chassis) shorted out on me. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but since it also happens to actually control the lights instead of just acting as an indicator (bad design if you ask me), I kinda need them... But since I am packing up my friends and I for a cross country trip to California (from Michigan!) set to leave on the 26th of December I'm hoping to find a new panel before then. I know I can manually strip the wires and connect them that way....but I'd rather go OEM and make sure everything the first time\every time. Any assistance locating a replacement would be greatly appreciated! All reasonable offers entertained.

No_Loitering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: EMERGENCY Exterior Light Monitor Needed

i have driven a bus from michigan to cali and back. where are you from in mi?

have your turned up the rpm's or the fuel for your motor yet? Once you do that, you'll never go back! i drove my dt360 to nevada and back 3 times. The last trip was after i turned up the hp and the rpm's and it really rocked! Increased the buses cruising speed from 57 to 65 and had way more horse power which was awesome for hillclimbing in the mountains. And i improved my fuel economy too. These mod's are simple, and free. Do you have a tach? how fast does your motor turn. 3100 rpm is absolute redline for that motor. I think mine was turning about 2300 when i got it. i increased the rpms to around 2700 which is still quite safe.

if you don't live too far away, i'd be more than happy to stop by and help ya out.

as for the electrical panel you need, i'm no help at all.

i live near flint.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Re: EMERGENCY Exterior Light Monitor Needed

I'm just south of Ann Arbor in Tecumseh, I'd say that's about an hour and a half from Flint. I've read some posts in the past about turning up the fuel rate and RPM's and I've been very interested in experimenting with it. I've been in Arizona the last 6 months though so I haven't had much of an opportunity to play with my bus, unfortunately (Had to leave her here in Michigan). So I think that would be fantastic!

Tops out at about 60 MPH (lol, with tailwind and hill!), I don't remember what the tach was pegging at. I've talked to a few bus garage guys and they say that they've had a DT360 all the way up to 3600 RPM's in some applications (safe for a bus, I don't think so...they were trying to jerry-rig it as a generator). Either way the transmission I have is an Allison AT545 (5.38 rear end) so max speed will never be that great, but any bump up in the low end for those mountains would be pretty sweet. You say you've gotten better fuel economy with this?

She's only got 4,500 miles or so on the new tranny and 50,000 miles on an engine rebuild so I don't think she'll be damaged by any tinkering.

I've heard alot about the famous (or should i say infamous? ) jacuzzi busses, any chance you're working on one of those right now?

You've made this trip before, for burning man I presume? Any tips for driving that distance? I've made several cross country treks, but normally in a car... The furthest I've gone in the bus was 2,000 miles spaced out over a week and a half.
No_Loitering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
eng turn up

ha need some help me ,,,,i have a 95 bird with 5.9ta cunninis 160 hp with an at545 trans with a 478 rear she runs at 58 to 60mph at 2500 rpms and what can i do to get more speed from her,,, now the cunnis people here say that cant' turn her up or she'll blow up ans some say she can be turn up,i need to know what i can do to her,,,or who to belive,,,,i would like to run at lease 65mph...this bus only has 35000 miles on her. i need to know from someone who know there SH**t about these eng's HELP & thanks
keith is offline   Reply With Quote