Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 162
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Final Price of a local auction bus

I happened to be watching this auction because it was close to home. The bus was bid over 5k even with a few days left in the auction. Looks like final price was 6k plus an 8% premium.

I know that an auction can sometime get you committed to getting a bus you are bidding on and end up bidding a little higher than you wanted as you battle with the other remaining bidder. But this one was at a solid price with multiple days left.

I was just wondering if I am missing something on what makes this bus more valuable than several others I have seen

99 International 78 passenger
DT466 MT545, 151k miles (personally with low miles I am suspicious that the speedo might have been replaced)
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/au...ew?auc=1943741

Just want to educate myself to understand prices and value better as I was hoping to not have to spend 6500 on a bus.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,857
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I like everything about that bus except for the tranny. Big engine, reasonable mileage, good condition. It was worth that much to the winner, i would have been out bid.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,525
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Same. As an owner of two AT545s, I don't think I would even consider a DT466 with an AT545. That transmission is workable for a 5.9 or a t444e but it's only rated for 445 lb/ft of torque and my "lowest possible tune" 175hp T444E is pushing 460, and was sold as high as 620. The lowest tune 466 is rated at 520 lb/ft and can go as high as 800 from the factory.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,744
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Same. As an owner of two AT545s, I don't think I would even consider a DT466 with an AT545. That transmission is workable for a 5.9 or a t444e but it's only rated for 445 lb/ft of torque and my "lowest possible tune" 175hp T444E is pushing 460, and was sold as high as 620. The lowest tune 466 is rated at 520 lb/ft and can go as high as 800 from the factory.
There are lower rated DT's that are in a lot of the buses that have 545's. 175hp and I'm not certain the torque rating.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 846
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Same. As an owner of two AT545s, I don't think I would even consider a DT466 with an AT545. That transmission is workable for a 5.9 or a t444e but it's only rated for 445 lb/ft of torque and my "lowest possible tune" 175hp T444E is pushing 460, and was sold as high as 620. The lowest tune 466 is rated at 520 lb/ft and can go as high as 800 from the factory.
Not trying to nitpick, but my 1997 DT466E is rated at 175HP (2300RPM) and 430lb/ft (1500RPM) per International Vehicle Information Report (Spicer 5 speed).....do I have an abnormal deficiency of torque for a 466?

Concerned because I'm in the process of sourcing a 3.73 or 4.10 differential to swap in, and now wondering if I have enough torque to push it down the road.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,744
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Not trying to nitpick, but my 1997 DT466E is rated at 175HP (2300RPM) and 430lb/ft (1500RPM) per International Vehicle Information Report (Spicer 5 speed).....do I have an abnormal deficiency of torque for a 466?

Concerned because I'm in the process of sourcing a 3.73 or 4.10 differential to swap in, and now wondering if I have enough torque to push it down the road.
I think you'll be just fine, man. Your bus is light compared to the 40 foot conversions.
I did the math, IIRC, and yours would do well with a 4.10 or 4.44.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 846
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think you'll be just fine, man. Your bus is light compared to the 40 foot conversions.
I did the math, IIRC, and yours would do well with a 4.10 or 4.44.
Cool-o. You did recommend the 4.10 before, that's why it's on my search list.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×