Old 07-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Thanks, Steve! I wish we could tell more about the condition of their buses from the listings. Pictures are too few and undetailed. The listings are undetailed. One might think they're hiding the details on purpose or over-pricing their buses. I can't make many 400-500-mile road trips simply to inspect a bus. Perhaps there are better sources of used buses?
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Thanks, Steve! I wish we could tell more about the condition of their buses from the listings. Pictures are too few and undetailed. The listings are undetailed. One might think they're hiding the details on purpose or over-pricing their buses. I can't make many 400-500-mile road trips simply to inspect a bus. Perhaps there are better sources of used buses?
I was on PublicSurplus and saw a couple of busses from a local school district. I called and the folks at the bus barn were extremely friendly and accommodating. I bid on one of the busses and thought that I had it and stepped away to the little bus drivers room and someone outbid me in the last 10 seconds.

I didn't get the bus but I did learn that my local bus barns are the first place I will look in the future. Unfortunately for me, there are no longer any Crown's in my area

Call your local school districts and get in touch with their bus maintenance folks and ask when, where & how they dispose of their busses.

I am shopping for a bus for my sister as well. The local district has one coming up that the maintenance guys told me is a solid ride so I am waiting for that auction to come up. 30 minute drive to inspect.

Something else to consider, First Students has busses all over the country. The list that they sent me has busses in numerous states. They may have some close to you.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
... someone outbid me in the last 10 seconds....
Does PublicSurplus.com have a hidden maximum bid feature, or is there an automated sniping service one can use on that site? My local district (great folks and what look like really good buses) uses them and I don't want to lose in a similar situation.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Pretty impossible to snipe. It has bid extensions.
I bid what I'm willing to pay early and anyone that wants it can pay more than I'm willing to pay. Simple.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Recently, I inquired with First Student about two or three buses on their website.
Long story short... I found FS clearly not interested in selling me a bus.

As I understand it, most of their buses are bought by wholesalers who buy a whole bunch at the time and take them to Mexico and also further south.
So a one-bus-a-decade-or-two customer isn't worth their time.

I don't blame them for this. It is a simple business decision.

Also, I have found that FS seldom updates their website listings.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Recently, I inquired with First Student about two or three buses on their website.
Long story short... I found FS clearly not interested in selling me a bus.

As I understand it, most of their buses are bought by wholesalers who buy a whole bunch at the time and take them to Mexico and also further south.
So a one-bus-a-decade-or-two customer isn't worth their time.

I don't blame them for this. It is a simple business decision.

Also, I have found that FS seldom updates their website listings.
I think individual FS terminals sometimes sell buses locally. I found a few First Student buses on Minneapolis Craigslist for example.

2002 FREIGHTLINER THOMAS SCHOOL BUS

2003 THOMAS SCHOOL BUS

2003 FREIGHTLINER SCHOOL BUS
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can easily write a program to auto-bid .. but moist of the auction have a 5 minute bidding window... it will keep extending the auction end time by 5 minutes as long as someone bids within that window of time.. so everyone has 5 minutes.. i think its a great feature.. I wish FleaBay would go to the same methids.. ive been sniped so much on there it isnt funny..

but not all govedeals auction will extend.. some DONT have the message 'auction may extend'.. those auctions you can be sniped on..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Pretty impossible to snipe. It has bid extensions.
I bid what I'm willing to pay early and anyone that wants it can pay more than I'm willing to pay. Simple.
I do agree.

You can't really "snipe" on this site because any bid in the final moments does extend the auction by a few minutes to give competing bidders a chance to drive the price up at the end.

Proxy bid is my favorite. Bid once and you are done. On this one there was some change of mind as to what the max bid should be so there was bidding at the last moment.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
Skoolie

Any opinions on this batch of 1999 - 2001 Bluebird buses? They all have the T444E motor and the Spicer 2500 manual trans. Is the Spicer an overdrive unit or otherwise geared for highway driving? Seller mentions that the buses are currently governed at 55 mph.

Public Surplus: Auction #1644069
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I put in a serious bid on one of those last time they were listed. Looks like someone was jacking around and wanted to "bus block" me.