Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
FL Toter

I want one of these some day!
https://lakeland.craigslist.org/rvd/5599852893.html

Cummins N14 and a 10 speed!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

It's the utility car for the whole family!
When International first released their pickup a while back, i was like "omg who's gonna buy that monster!". few years later, saw one on duval st. literally taking the whole rd!

Now, I'm waiting to get older, move to a smaller house with more land, get a barn, buy larger bus, so i can drive my shorty as my car (good thing wifey is not a member, here...)
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
It's the utility car for the whole family!
When International first released their pickup a while back, i was like "omg who's gonna buy that monster!". few years later, saw one on duval st. literally taking the whole rd!

Now, I'm waiting to get older, move to a smaller house with more land, get a barn, buy larger bus, so i can drive my shorty as my car (good thing wifey is not a member, here...)
These are what I was referring to on another thread about CDL requirements! Many full timers use them to pull 5th wheel rv's because they are much more comfortable and safer for towing, especially in the mountains, and the engines are designed to last over 1 million miles. The engines are also very easy to get parts for since there are millions of them on the road and you can get quick service on them at the thousands of truck stops and truck repair shops across the country.
If you look on the Escapee forum you'll see them listed for sale, as well as a section dedicated just to Class 8 toters. I still haven't gotten an answer on if a CDL is needed if it is registered as a private truck. All of the ones you see the full timers use are registered as RV's in the states that have lax rules about converting titles. Unfortunately VA is strict about title changes so I'm investigating registering whatever I get as a private vehicle. It's just so hard to find the one person in the DMV that is the absolute authority/expert on answering these questions.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
These are what I was referring to on another thread about CDL requirements! Many full timers use them to pull 5th wheel rv's because they are much more comfortable and safer for towing, especially in the mountains, and the engines are designed to last over 1 million miles. The engines are also very easy to get parts for since there are millions of them on the road and you can get quick service on them at the thousands of truck stops and truck repair shops across the country.
If you look on the Escapee forum you'll see them listed for sale, as well as a section dedicated just to Class 8 toters. I still haven't gotten an answer on if a CDL is needed if it is registered as a private truck. All of the ones you see the full timers use are registered as RV's in the states that have lax rules about converting titles. Unfortunately VA is strict about title changes so I'm investigating registering whatever I get as a private vehicle. It's just so hard to find the one person in the DMV that is the absolute authority/expert on answering these questions.
I've inquired at our local tag office. If its privately registered there's no need for a CDL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

IF it's in good shape and has no issues that's a good price for a toter. They don't mention the mileage which makes me wonder. Most of the full time rv crowd are older and looking for auto shifters because they are easier to drive, so you can usually get a standard stick shift toter a bit cheaper. I've been investigating these for several years in my dream of the full time life at retirement (or before if I can work it out). One of the best forums to find out everything you ever wanted to know about toters and full timing is the Escapee forum. They have excellent info on these setups. They are to the full time "regular" rv crowd what Skoolie.net is to those of us that like everything Skoolie!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote