Old 02-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I think buying a school bus is much less a risk than buying a used car from a lot.
A school district isn't nearly as likely to exaggerate condition and they tend to maintain buses better than the average car owner.
Believe me, I think we all get the "Crown superiority". Some of us want a two thousand dollar bus to build a thrifty house or RV from, though.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Time is valuable being stuck on the side of a road isn't fun...............I read the questions that have been asked, none of them are probing in the least..........I don't know if you or others have had conversations with maintenance or transportation departments but from what i see there, one picture, no probative questions at all listed..........I ask a lot of questions. Whether sixth gear is unlocked or not I want to know: I want to know if it's dropping fluids, gauges, lights etc.............etc I definitely want to know the rear axle ratio: And whether "we all get the Crown Superiority" thing or not that had not ought to preclude me from advancing it when the spirit moves me............but keeping it in context the point I'm advancing is I just know them so well: Thomas buses I don't..........I hear many stories about them.........even New deliveries get returned with significant problems........granted what you say is generally true with regard maintenance. It is also true that some do it far better than others and some just drive them till there little more than a wreck:

Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona come to mind. When I do buy buses on line, other than Crowns I actually try to find out as much about the demographics of the district as I can, as to wealth, I also try to find out precisely the history of the bus as well as the availability of maintenance records. it doesn't take long before what seems as a bargain, once you factor in time, travel, and potential disappointments that the bargain bus gets to be not so much of a bargain.....We all have our own objectives and our own end game and go about getting there in our own way. That's the way we do it.

I work hard for my money. I am a big time advocate of risk reward: I am also an advocate of minimizing risk...........And I have also noticed that northern school districts, New York in particular, will even throw a new coat of paint on their buses once their work cycle is complete.............A 14 year old Thomas from MD..........may look good on the surface and may be a tattered ruin of rust underneath.............step wells............etc. Not saying that's the case here.............but what would be the problem of having maintenance staff shoot some photo's and pass them along to you?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #53
Bus Geek

For what most buses auction for, I just don't see how disappointed it can be. Worst case I'd pull the drivetrain and scrap it. Still worth a couple two three grand.
Its cheaper than a ten year old used Hyundai...
Demographics? Some of the poorest districts have the nicest buses... I like Kentucky and they are among the poorest states in the union. Mine is from the least populated, most rural part of Ky too.
I see your points, and on some I agree.
I'm sure a Crown is a great machine, but on the east side of the country one may live their whole life without even seeing one.
I call and talk to the yard maintenance guy when I'm interested. I also have had them send me pics or info.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm convinced its just shill bids. I'd buy it if Md weren't so damn far from here.
There is 5 of them just like this on GovDeals in Florida right now
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #55
Bus Geek

no there aren't.
Those ones on GovDeals in Fl have bad engines. From really under-funded schools.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Okay only 3. One just says doesn't run and 2 say bad injectors. I wonder what their reserve is ?
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #57
Bus Geek

IDK but for two grand or less that one in MD runs.
Bad injectors/doesn't run= hundreds and hundred to have it towed and to fix it. Maybe even thousands...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Hey! Id buy that old loadstar international on looks alone! I love those loadstar grills. If i could have found one near me i would have snatched it up without a second thought. I like your style man!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #59
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
There ain't no way that 6th is unlocked on that bus. Worth checking, sure. But more chance of having brand spankin' new tires and the engine rebuilt 100 miles ago than the transmission being unlocked.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #60
Bus Geek

This would make a nice home for someone.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...ew?auc=1242440