Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I want that one.... Is having 3 buses that you are working on at the same time too many???

The text appears to be wrong. Otherwise I must have a 6.6l in my Bluebird The engine pic and the placard both look like it has a 250hp 8.3 Cummins.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I want that one.... Is having 3 buses that you are working on at the same time too many???

The text appears to be wrong. Otherwise I must have a 6.6l in my Bluebird The engine pic and the placard both look like it has a 250hp 8.3 Cummins.
Yeah, saw that.
IDK, I can only do 2 buses right now. Still no letter from the city about my daily driver 98 shorty. Knock on wood.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Yeah, saw that.
IDK, I can only do 2 buses right now. Still no letter from the city about my daily driver 98 shorty. Knock on wood.
I still find it hard to believe that here in the "Land of the Free" that they are dictating what kind of rig you can park in your own yard. B.S.!!!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Some would give you tetanus of the eyeballs just looking at it.
Sounds like an ex of mine...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Sounds like an ex of mine...
Your ex is rusty??? I've heard of crusty but not rusty.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Quote:
I've owned some shady cars over the years. Some would give you tetanus of the eyeballs just looking at it. Never had a brake line rust thru. Catch a rock in an air tank and you won't need to worry about that steep grade. You're stopping in the middle of the interstate whether you want to or not. I think that is more likely to happen than a brake line rotting.

I don't think either are likely to happen on a regular basis tho so it would come down to e-stops and ease of checking/repairing the systems.

Great you a good wrench. Your bus is a lot newer than mine from the past. I have had 2 buses and 1 Ford F600 Flat bed with a hoist and they all had brake lines replaced. I have had brake failure in both air and hydr(not my vehicles). Just keep a sharp eye out .

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Great you a good wrench. Your bus is a lot newer than mine from the past. I have had 2 buses and 1 Ford F600 Flat bed with a hoist and they all had brake lines replaced. I have had brake failure in both air and hydr(not my vehicles). Just keep a sharp eye out .
A thorough inspection (and complete fluid change) after buying. Any sketchy stuff replaced then. And if whatever the system is fails, hopefully it's pulling out of a Wally World parking lot and not while going down Pike's Pike.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
A thorough inspection (and complete fluid change) after buying. Any sketchy stuff replaced then. And if whatever the system is fails, hopefully it's pulling out of a Wally World parking lot and not while going down Pike's Pike.
I filled in to drive a load of flat limestone rock on a F600 with 4&2 irrc. Exarmy guy told me he was taught too down the hill in the gear you went up in. On a steep s curving hill with 200 ft on the deep side my juice brakes failed. The guy before me had got them hot and glazed them. Sweated all the way down and held the shifter in gear.

I have seen buses with dual wheel cylinders on each side. A plus but a rebuild cost in there.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Quote:
I filled in to drive a load of flat limestone rock on a F600 with 4&2 irrc. Exarmy guy told me he was taught too down the hill in the gear you went up in. On a steep s curving hill with 200 ft on the deep side my juice brakes failed. The guy before me had got them hot and glazed them. Sweated all the way down and held the shifter in gear.

I have seen buses with dual wheel cylinders on each side. A plus but a rebuild cost in there.
That's not the way I do it in a car. There's a decent hill (couple of miles) on teh way to the gf's. I crest the last hill at 40. By the bottom I tap the brakes before making the last turn at 70. Without a tap it would be 75 and might be too much for my current tires. It pains me when I get stuck behind someone with PA tags. They ride teh brake the ENTIRE way. PA farm bois can't read or write but they know how to go slower than the posted limit.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Well- at least the AWESOME bus of the decade went to someone I kinda know!

I bid on it, too. Told the world about this beauty. Its pretty much got EVERYTHING! Guy's soooo lucky!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well- at least the AWESOME bus of the decade went to someone I kinda know!

I bid on it, too. Told the world about this beauty. Its pretty much got EVERYTHING! Guy's soooo lucky!
Haven't watched with sound yet. Why does he need another bus?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Haven't watched with sound yet. Why does he need another bus?

His friend bought a bus and he is just along for the ride.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #73
Bus Nut

Quote:
That's not the way I do it in a car. There's a decent hill (couple of miles) on teh way to the gf's. I crest the last hill at 40. By the bottom I tap the brakes before making the last turn at 70. Without a tap it would be 75 and might be too much for my current tires. It pains me when I get stuck behind someone with PA tags. They ride teh brake the ENTIRE way. PA farm bois can't read or write but they know how to go slower than the posted limit.
Factor in that i had about 6 tons of rock behind me.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
Factor in that i had about 6 tons of rock behind me.
That only adds to the excitement.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
I've owned some shady cars over the years. Some would give you tetanus of the eyeballs just looking at it. Never had a brake line rust thru. Catch a rock in an air tank and you won't need to worry about that steep grade. You're stopping in the middle of the interstate whether you want to or not. I think that is more likely to happen than a brake line rotting.

I don't think either are likely to happen on a regular basis tho so it would come down to e-stops and ease of checking/repairing the systems.
I had a Ford f100 that was in awesome shape. Drove it for almost a year. Went to stop at a red light and the pedal went to the floor and I cruised through with no brakes. A steel line rotted about halfway between the front and rear in a spot I couldn't see without laying under the truck with a spotlight and mirror. Steel lines will rust out. Would rather come to a stop than white knuckle with no brakes in something that weighs 20k lbs.
Air brakes take some learning. There is no pedal "feedback" like hyd brakes. But after learning how they stop, it becomes second nature.
As far as working on them. They aren't any more dangerous than regular drums, as a matter of fact they have less springs! They are bigger but the design of the rollers lets you unload the springs before you remove them and hook them to the shoes before you load them (no screwdriver!) The spring brake is dangerous if you don't know what your doing, but with some research anyone can figure them out. If your spring brakes actuate and you need to be towed, they have to be "pinned"... That's some dangerous stuff.
The hardest part of doing large truck/bus brakes is lifting the vehicle and getting the lugs off and torqued back on. The tires are heavy. The drums are heavy. The knowledge to change out the components isn't heavy. If I can do it (and I have on a some old international trucks) anyone can.
The correct tools make the job easy.

Sorry for the long ramble, just want to give a fair look at air brakes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I had a Ford f100 that was in awesome shape. Drove it for almost a year. Went to stop at a red light and the pedal went to the floor and I cruised through with no brakes. A steel line rotted about halfway between the front and rear in a spot I couldn't see without laying under the truck with a spotlight and mirror. Steel lines will rust out. Would rather come to a stop than white knuckle with no brakes in something that weighs 20k lbs.
Air brakes take some learning. There is no pedal "feedback" like hyd brakes. But after learning how they stop, it becomes second nature.
As far as working on them. They aren't any more dangerous than regular drums, as a matter of fact they have less springs! They are bigger but the design of the rollers lets you unload the springs before you remove them and hook them to the shoes before you load them (no screwdriver!) The spring brake is dangerous if you don't know what your doing, but with some research anyone can figure them out. If your spring brakes actuate and you need to be towed, they have to be "pinned"... That's some dangerous stuff.
The hardest part of doing large truck/bus brakes is lifting the vehicle and getting the lugs off and torqued back on. The tires are heavy. The drums are heavy. The knowledge to change out the components isn't heavy. If I can do it (and I have on a some old international trucks) anyone can.
The correct tools make the job easy.

Sorry for the long ramble, just want to give a fair look at air brakes.
I don't scare easy. I'll try most anything once. I'm dumb like that.

I do. NOT. like specialized tools nor do I like stupid designs.... removing the radiator overflow to change oil... thx Mini. But rebuilding a bus engine and having to buy a 2 7/8 the one inch drive socket doesn't bother me (until I get to the checkout line). The coffee can full of "leftover" parts is a bit worrisome but if it starts it's all good.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #77
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
... If your spring brakes actuate and you need to be towed, they have to be "pinned"... That's some dangerous stuff.

You mean caged? not dangerous, the special bolt you need is on the side of each of the brake chambers. Spring brake activates every time air pressure is lost- default is brakes-on.

Maybe you are thinking of changing the diaphragm that is dangerous- with the death spring. That is best left up to the pros. You can unbolt chamber safely and bring it in for repair.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You mean caged? not dangerous, the special bolt you need is on the side of each of the brake chambers. Spring brake activates every time air pressure is lost- default is brakes-on.

Maybe you are thinking of changing the diaphragm that is dangerous- with the death spring. That is best left up to the pros. You can unbolt chamber safely and bring it in for repair.
Nope, diaphragms don't get changed anymore. Chambers are made sealed now so idiots can't kill themselves taking them apart.

But yeah, the only thing dangerous about caging brakes is the possibility of forgetting to block wheels and having the vehicle start rolling.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:

I have seen the pin shoot out like a bullet when caging.
Quote:

I have seen those bolts let go and shoot off like bullets when trying to cage the brake. And I wouldn't ever try and change the diaphragm spring... Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #80
Bus Nut

When you own special equipment like a Skoolie and you have a concrete floor work area. Then a wheel dolly is a major work saver. A dolly will easily pay for it self.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-1769A-Tru.../dp/B000M1H3YI