Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: Free bus, but...

It depends upon what you want to do. Do you really want to invest the time, effort, and resources to put it back out on the road? Do you have a chunk of cash to put into it? Do you want to salvage it? I have no idea. I have a farm I'm renting. Thus the reason I have five trucks (including the bus). This allows me more options than the usual suburban dweller. I also have the option to buy the farm (I hear the puns now...). So, without being there it's hard for me to have any real effective advice. I suppose that's what most everyone else will think as well. You need to look at your options and make the best decision for you. Find out what's wrong with the bus. Did the engine blow up? Is the tranny shot? Is it electrical? Is it an easy fix, or is it serious cash? Be up front with the current owner. Let them know you want to figure out what's wrong with the bus before making a commitment. Thus, if it's an easy fix, hey, you're way ahead of the game. If its expen$$$ive, then you can decide to salvage or pass. Just sayin'.......

Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25
Re: Free bus, but...

I was in a similar situation once. Instead of a bus, it was an old Spartan travel trailer. I don't know if it will help you or not, but might be an option: contact the scrapyard you would be selling it to and ask them if they'd work something out with you to bring the bus in, have it weighed, then you remove the parts you wanted , weigh the parts, and then settle the difference.
I only wanted the fridge and stove out of the trailer I mentioned, so it only took me about half an hour to have them both out.
The point is, I didn't have a place to store it while I scrapped it out correctly, so I did it that way. I think everyone was happy (I know I was). Of course, it was a lot easier to move the trailer than it will be to move a dead bus, I'm assuming.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote