Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 40
Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
FS: 43k miles CA Registered 25' 2001 International/AmTran 3800 DT466e + AC + Heat

I spent a long time looking for this bus and it's worked great for years but now parking has become an issue

It's basically unmodified on the inside with just some of the seats removed.
(I strap down shelves to turn it in to a camping/utility bus)

Registered in CA as a van- insured through GEICO

Asking $9,500 - much less and it just makes sense for me to pay for storage

RUNS AND DRIVES PERFECTLY
I USE IT WEEKLY TO HAUL MY KIDS AND TOYS/BIKES TO BMX AND TO THE PARK

The good stuff:
EXTREME LO MILES - 43K AND 4000HOURS
(the was the backup handicap bus in a rural St Louis district)
DT466e = actual 9mpg documented over thousands of miles
AC units front and rear ($1000 to repair one) both work great and keep the bus cool in 100+ temps
Aux diesel heater
Tinted Windows
Rear wheelchair lift rated for 700lbs
Massive 3" trailer hitch installed ($1000)
Air brakes
Tires at 90% ($1500)

This was 95% the "perfect" bus for me, full-size capability in a more compact form- the shelving is strapped down and removable, or you can keep it fi you'd like (since they're custom-cut heightwise to fit)

I've maintained it properly with the correct coolant etc and the only mechanical issue it has ever had is when the alternator blew while I was driving it back to CA from St Louis 3y ago)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170717_212804.jpg (197.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170920_140113.jpg (270.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170901_192337.jpg (204.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170927_133918.jpg (302.7 KB, 47 views)
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
I was interested when you said it was 25 feet in length as it is unusual to find a DT466 in bus that size, but they do exist. Looking at your pictures that bus is a 9 window and thus must be about 30 feet in length. Just to point out real size as I need a bus 25-27 feet due to limitations on driveway length and yours is too big.

patrick
pathod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,732
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathod View Post
I was interested when you said it was 25 feet in length as it is unusual to find a DT466 in bus that size, but they do exist. Looking at your pictures that bus is a 9 window and thus must be about 30 feet in length. Just to point out real size as I need a bus 25-27 feet due to limitations on driveway length and yours is too big.

patrick
Yeah its probably 30ish feet.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
Pizote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 139
Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
My 8-window is 31’ long with 20’ to the threshold and 24’ to the windshield. This is probably 24-30” longer than that so about 33-34’ by my guess.
__________________
Follow my build - and adventures at https://www.facebook.com/pizote.adventures
Pizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 40
Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Hey guys- sorry, I think you're right and I'm thinking of one of my previous buses and this one is more like 30'. I'll get out and measure it tomorrow and will update.
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
What's the inside height?
Mt 643 tranny?
Sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Is that Black Rock City I see in one of those pictures?
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
Is that Black Rock City I see in one of those pictures?
Sure looks like it to me
Ab01ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 40
Year: 2001
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Ok- so I measured it and it's exactly 30' bumper-to-bumper.

And it's an AT545 tranny.

And yes that's Black Rock

I know people on this site don't think highly of the AT545, but 2 of my 3 buses have had them, and I think that most people forget that these buses as-delivered are engineered systems.

Usually, the "bus" tune on a T444E or DT466E is under 200HP, and as long as you don't change that, the AT545 remains unstressed and is expectedly lasts as long as a typical service vehicle like this *should* last

The 9+MPG was accurately measured over 1000+ miles because I too was curious about exactly what kind of difference the lockup/non-lockup issue would make. I can also mention that the steepest descents I've run it through are some of the most stressing in the country (out of Tahoe Basin and down I70 in Colorado) and they presented no issue to the transmission. It was capable of complete engine-braking 90% of the time during those descents.

In short- don't be scare of the AT545- there's *thousands* of them out there in daily service with zero issues whatsoever
scosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,732
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosol View Post
Ok- so I measured it and it's exactly 30' bumper-to-bumper.

And it's an AT545 tranny.

And yes that's Black Rock

I know people on this site don't think highly of the AT545, but 2 of my 3 buses have had them, and I think that most people forget that these buses as-delivered are engineered systems.

Usually, the "bus" tune on a T444E or DT466E is under 200HP, and as long as you don't change that, the AT545 remains unstressed and is expectedly lasts as long as a typical service vehicle like this *should* last

The 9+MPG was accurately measured over 1000+ miles because I too was curious about exactly what kind of difference the lockup/non-lockup issue would make. I can also mention that the steepest descents I've run it through are some of the most stressing in the country (out of Tahoe Basin and down I70 in Colorado) and they presented no issue to the transmission. It was capable of complete engine-braking 90% of the time during those descents.

In short- don't be scare of the AT545- there's *thousands* of them out there in daily service with zero issues whatsoever
Yeah, school buses are engineered to mainly pick up kids every few blocks. The AT545 does ok under the typical start-stop conditions they see in normal school bus duty. Highways, toll roads, mountains... those kill the 545.
I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying your bus. 545's are THE most common transmission until about 2002. But c'mon man they don't even come close to full engine braking.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.