Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Hard to say. My feeling is that you wouldn't be liable at all, being that it was sold from a private party putting all due diligence on the buyer. But if they can show that you were aware of the problem, and sold it without informing the buyer, I'd say you'd be in a pickle real quick. But all of that can change at the drop of a hat with lawyers and judges and what not, especially if insurance companies are involved.

Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

I'm not so worried about liability. I want to have my bus to live in and I don't want to run into mechanical problems. My budget is so low, I don't think I can afford a bus that doesn't have some draw back... Maybe I'm getting hung up on the solar power thinking this is a better deal than it is. But he's willing to trade for some cash and my Vespa, which will save me the trouble of selling it for bus funds.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
What year is the Vespa?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
No you don't. In CALIFORNIA, if it's registered as commercial, you need a class b with the proper endorsements. If it is registered as a RV, a regular license is fine. If going somewhere else, you need to figure that out in your state.
This applies to ALL states and provinces, not just Kalyfornyastan.

CHECK WITH YOUR STATE'S DMV/MVD for requirements. NO ONE on this site is the absolute authority as to licensing/titling requirements. ONLY YOUR state/province has the accurate information.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #25

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
This applies to ALL states and provinces, not just Kalyfornyastan.

CHECK WITH YOUR STATE'S DMV/MVD for requirements. NO ONE on this site is the absolute authority as to licensing/titling requirements. ONLY YOUR state/province has the accurate information.

Yup, he's right. I'm talking out of my butthole. Check with the DMV and come back here and tell me that I'm wrong.

Unlike the average person, I have dissected this a dozen different ways. I have owned a transportation company for over thirty years. I had a guy from the CHP come out every year for my commercial inspection. He would stay for about 3 hours going over all my records, employee pull notices, vehicle inspections, maintenance records, drug testing reports, etc. We would talk for a couple of hours about staying legal because the FINES ARE PRETTY STIFF.

Along with that, I have owned and registered about a dozen buses, at least a dozen trailers and a concrete truck. Driving out of class when driving commercially can get you a serious ticket and even arrest. Every day I run into people that have no clue that they are driving illegally. Example, they are pulling a trailer that has a GVW of 12k and don't realize that they need a Class A license.

So yes, check with the DMV or CHP to find out how about the requirements.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
What year is the Vespa?

I have a beautiful, bright red 1965 VBB. I got her fully restored from a friend and have put just about two thousand miles on her. She's in good shape and rather attractive.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote