Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Gnome needs help in WA! Bus found!

https://moseslake.craigslist.org/cto/5926052152.html

Could anyone let me know what they think of this offer? Nice guy selling it. Buys/sells car on reg for added SSI income. Bus was recently acquired from school district in Washington (8months ago), and has full service reports. Used as a substitute bus and runs well. No rust supposedly.

What do I want to do with it? Convert it into a mobile boutique/living situation/workshop with a half cab of another vehicle attached to the top. Size is something to think about here, is it enough space for me? I believe it's probably a 25' long bus. Driving wise it'll be easier to move, living wise it could be small and tight. Any thoughts on what would be a good length for all this? Searching for ideas!

Listed in ad are some but also has these additional fixes:
starter 2011
injectors 03
turbo 2010
water pump 09
head gasket 2010

Price is slightly negotiable too, but he says he's been getting that price for them. Seems high to me but for this size, it's not easy to find them. It has all the specs I want though: motor, transmission, body/chassis combo.

Miles seem high as well, but everything's been so well maintained that I don't think it makes the biggest difference. Any thoughts?

TheGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post

Could anyone let me know what they think of this offer? Nice guy selling it. Buys/sells car on reg for added SSI income. Bus was recently acquired from school district in Washington (8months ago), and has full service reports. Used as a substitute bus and runs well. No rust supposedly.

What do I want to do with it? Convert it into a mobile boutique/living situation/workshop with a half cab of another vehicle attached to the top. Size is something to think about here, is it enough space for me? I believe it's probably a 25' long bus. Driving wise it'll be easier to move, living wise it could be small and tight. Any thoughts on what would be a good length for all this? Searching for ideas!

starter 2011
injectors 03
turbo 2010
water pump 09
head gasket 2010

Price is slightly negotiable too, but he says he's been getting that price for them. Seems high to me but for this size, it's not easy to find them. It has all the specs I want though: motor, transmission, body/chassis combo.

Miles seem high as well, but everything's been so well maintained that I don't think it makes the biggest difference. Any thoughts?
Hey Gnome,

That looks like it could be a very nice bus. However, I am not sure that I would take the mileage so lightly. At that price you can find numerous buses with lower mileage and possibly a more desirable drive train.

The 5.9 is a great motor. I love the ones in my pickups. In a significantly heavier rig I have a strong preference towards the larger power plants. DT466 or Cummins 8.3 are good candidates.

Regarding the transmission, if it has an AT545 together with the 5.9 I would not be excited at that price. If by chance it has an MT647 that would make it much more attractive.

Hope that is helpful.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Where are you located?

Ability to inspect and cost of getting it home should be part of your purchase decision.

So far I like this one better: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/gn...tml#post179242

Bigger engine, better possibility of a lockup transmission, lower miles and a lower price.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:

starter 2011
injectors 03
turbo 2010
water pump 09
head gasket 2010

Hahahahahaha, no.

I wouldn't even pay 2 grand for that bus. Way too many miles even for a 5.9 Cummins. Probably doesn't even have air brakes.

There was a bunch of Bluebird TC1000s out of Bend, Oregon on Govdeals a couple weeks ago. I think the average selling price ranged from $1,500 to $2,000. Most of the buses had the newer 24v Cummins as well.

Don't waste your time with people like this. They ask way too much money and spend months trying to peddle their overpriced junk on Craigslist. That particular bus has been listed for quite a while, IIRC.

Wait til the spring to buy a bus. In a couple more months the public auction sites will be flooded with loads of school buses fresh off school routes.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

The price seems to be a bit high for something that old with that many miles.

Here are some other choices you might want to consider:

Blue Bird 1997 TC2000

GILLIG 1968 C190-12

International 1993 AMTRAN

Used 2002 Blue Bird Wheelchair Accessible School Bus B03903-Used2002Blue BirdTC/2000

1993 Blue Bird – Stock #16UB050 | Western Bus Sales

1994 Blue Bird – 13UB157 | Western Bus Sales
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:

starter 2011
injectors 03
turbo 2010
water pump 09
head gasket 2010

I hope you got a suitcase full of money, you want to add a vehicle to the top of a bus, and use it for business. that bus is overpriced , lots of great busses will be for sale this spring. good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Bus Nut

They are telling you the straight up truth. That bus will dollar you too death. Some body got it hot and it is old and going to have continual problems.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #8

HI I am new to this forum. I was actually just browsing through it when I happened upon your post. I looked at the ad and I live in Colorado and that same bus is for sale on CL here as well as CL in Idaho, New Mexico, and California. So unless you can physically go and see that bus I am pretty sure someone is running a scam.
Jaws535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws535 View Post
HI I am new to this forum. I was actually just browsing through it when I happened upon your post. I looked at the ad and I live in Colorado and that same bus is for sale on CL here as well as CL in Idaho, New Mexico, and California. So unless you can physically go and see that bus I am pretty sure someone is running a scam.
Good catch. Farkin scammers...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Bus Nut

It's a nice bus. . .but too many of the "nice" things about it don't help your conversion at all. (The interior on that things looks MINT - there's been some time and money spent giving it a good cleaning and detailing.) That stairwell, and the exterior - looks like a fresh coat of yellow.

Things I wouldn't pay for if I was going to re-paint it, and gut the interior anyways. The size is nice, but the mileage is still high. That engine is fine for that bus as a bus, as an RV, I'd want a bit more oomph.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, craigslist, forsale, helpme, washington