Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They pop up lately, but seems like when someones out looking "right now" they can't find one.
Just have a few grand ready and when a killer one pops up be READY!
Understood! My darn unimportant wedding 😝 is taking up all my funds... but the first thing we want to do is get a short, to mid sized bus. Good to know they are available for a reasonable amount of money!

Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerbus View Post
Understood! My darn unimportant wedding 😝 is taking up all my funds... but the first thing we want to do is get a short, to mid sized bus. Good to know they are available for a reasonable amount of money!
You're going to have to become more of a hustler. You get family and friends to pay for the wedding. Tell them you don't want to start your new civil union with your head barely above water. You need savings and security! Just don't mention the savings are for a bus..
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #23
Skoolie

Now THAT is plan! Good thing is it will all be done with next to debt! But yeah, these shorties are exactly what I am looking for. Want to make a weekend warrior/tailgate bus for medium range trips with friends.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
You're going to have to become more of a hustler. You get family and friends to pay for the wedding. Tell them you don't want to start your new civil union with your head barely above water. You need savings and security! Just don't mention the savings are for a bus..
That's close to what I told my niece and her intended. True love is all well and good, but if you want to say "forever" to each other don't buy 12K's worth of unsaleable finger bling, buy a HOUSE together! But noooo.......
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
That's close to what I told my niece and her intended. True love is all well and good, but if you want to say "forever" to each other don't buy 12K's worth of unsaleable finger bling, buy a HOUSE together! But noooo.......
I have 2 friends that got married and did just that!! both of them had apartments already nicely equipped.. so no need for furniture or housewares..

they forewent the Big massive wedding, fancy rings, and attire, and instead bought a house together, and then had a nice housewarming party a couple months later.. such party was mainly funded as it was potluck style so everyone brought something.... they own a nice home now and still got to spend time with family / friends and celebrate.. since both had apartments, the home is decorated in the styles and preferences of both.. and is magical in how well everything goes together from 2 very unique residences.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have 2 friends that got married and did just that!! both of them had apartments already nicely equipped.. so no need for furniture or housewares..

they forewent the Big massive wedding, fancy rings, and attire, and instead bought a house together, and then had a nice housewarming party a couple months later.. such party was mainly funded as it was potluck style so everyone brought something.... they own a nice home now and still got to spend time with family / friends and celebrate.. since both had apartments, the home is decorated in the styles and preferences of both.. and is magical in how well everything goes together from 2 very unique residences.
-Christopher
We were naive enough to think we could do it on the cheap, but as we approach the month mark that is not the case. But oh well, all will have fun and we will not take any debt. Then hopefully in the spring we will be in position to join the Skoolie Fam.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
IMHO: Keep it simple and invest in your future.

When I got married in 1987 we spent $23k on the wedding and related expenses and moved into a 980sq ft rental.

When I got married the second time in 2004 we got married on the beach and spent about $1000. Then we our $$ on a new house.

I very much think that the second time we did exercise some common sense.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
IMHO: Keep it simple and invest in your future.

When I got married in 1987 we spent $23k on the wedding and related expenses and moved into a 980sq ft rental.

When I got married the second time in 2004 we got married on the beach and spent about $1000. Then we our $$ on a new house.

I very much think that the second time we did exercise some common sense.

Just my $0.02
And that is a valuable $.02!

All said and done with rings, honeymoon and the big day we will be at $14,000.

After this experience, i am convinced there is no way to do it cheaper if you want it to be at a venue.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #29
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Did it back in '95.

We rented-out an entire B & B (dozen rooms) and guests paid their own room. Pre-party was a BBQ onsite, reception catered and we were able to buy our own booze. Ring was $2K from Tucson Gem Show. Photographer allowed me to keep the negatives, including Hasselblad med format. Dress off-the rack. DJ was weak point- thanks, Jerry.

$5K total. No complaints from guests.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote