Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Red face How do I know which bus to buy?

I'm finally at a place where I can buy my bus and start building my new home! I've been looking at different projects and different buses for sale - everything from shuttle buses to vintage school buses and even vans, trailers, trolly buses, RVs ... ugh! My gut tells me to go with a short bus but I'd love to hear what you think.

I would like the length of a short school bus or shuttle bus (usually with 4 or 5 windows down each side). Perhaps around 20-26ft? I don't think I would feel comfortable driving anything longer.

The plan is a complete gut. A roof lift. And a cross country trip (maybe two). I'd like to go as off grid as possible with solar panels etc.

I love the older vintage buses, but I would be concerned about cost for any upgrades.

My primary concern is safety (on and off the road) and durability/longevity. This will become my home so I want it to last as long as possible. Future plan is to find land and park my home.

Oh, and I'd like to go as green as possible but within a budget.

Here's the catch ... no matter how many photos of buses for sale I look at I still don't have any idea what is best. Make, model, year, mileage, condition, history, tire wear .. I could continuously look at ads and ask the experts here about each and every one .. OR .. Maybe I should look at someone helping me find it?

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks for your time!

Mikabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you're serious look at this like a college course. Spend the next 30 days reading every single post on this forum. All of your questions will be answered. I spent almost 5 months researching here before deciding on a bus, it really took that long to decide and find the "right one". I actually got impatient and bought one sight unseen. It had major issues and was lucky to get my money refunded, I don't think that is typical. I still read every post made here and am still learning.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #3

Unhappy

I've actually been looking for a few years. I still don't know which is best.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Figure out what amenities you want and start drawing floor plans, that will help decide what size. Then there's another 100 criteria to decide.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikabe View Post
I'm finally at a place where I can buy my bus and start building my new home! I've been looking at different projects and different buses for sale - everything from shuttle buses to vintage school buses and even vans, trailers, trolly buses, RVs ... ugh! My gut tells me to go with a short bus but I'd love to hear what you think.

I would like the length of a short school bus or shuttle bus (usually with 4 or 5 windows down each side). Perhaps around 20-26ft? I don't think I would feel comfortable driving anything longer.

The plan is a complete gut. A roof lift. And a cross country trip (maybe two). I'd like to go as off grid as possible with solar panels etc.

I love the older vintage buses, but I would be concerned about cost for any upgrades.

My primary concern is safety (on and off the road) and durability/longevity. This will become my home so I want it to last as long as possible. Future plan is to find land and park my home.

Oh, and I'd like to go as green as possible but within a budget.

Here's the catch ... no matter how many photos of buses for sale I look at I still don't have any idea what is best. Make, model, year, mileage, condition, history, tire wear .. I could continuously look at ads and ask the experts here about each and every one .. OR .. Maybe I should look at someone helping me find it?

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks for your time!
There's no universal "best". Everyone has their own ideas. I'd simply suggest the search bar and try queries like "what bus to buy".
Sounds like you want a shorty. I'd recommend the full size chassis shorties.
Here are mine-

One has a Cat 3126 and one has a DT466E. Both are good engines. The cat has a 545 transmission and the DT has a 2000. The 2000 is vastly superior. Has lockup and OD.
Look for little to no rust, good tires, etc.

happy hunting!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

What price range?

Also I'm in BC.

Tags
bus advice, bus choice, bus conversion, short bus conversion, tiny house bus