Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I need wheels!

Our bus is equipped with old split rims and tube tires, which I'm told are dangerous and less reliable than conventional tires. I'm hoping someone around this area (KS) can tell me where I can get some cheap wheels and tires. THANKS!

7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I have the same kinds of rims, with tube tires. I did a lot of research on tires before buying a bus, and finally decided that as long as the tires themselves were in good shape, it really didn't matter. Split rims are different to work with, and require the proper equipment (safety cage); however, many tire shops that deal in tires to fit buses and trucks have such equipment -- it's not like you're going to be doing your own tire mounting -- so that's not really an issue. If you have a flat on the road, you're most likely going to call a service truck to fix it, so handling the wheel is probably not an issue. The "danger" from split rims comes primarly in the process of mounting and tires on the rims. Once the rim is on the bus, it's no more likely to than any other rim to be dangerous (practically speaking).

Tube tires are slightly less reliable than radials in some regards, but, again, for practical purposes (such as tailgaiting or camping), they are probably not noticeably less reliable than a radial.

I bet you'd spend a minimum of $500 or $600 to replace all your tires and rims (if you could find a used set in good condition), and you could easily spend much more.

On a cost-benefit basis, I'd suggest that your money would be better spent on other things. Of course, if you have plenty of money to throw at your bus, and you want some nice new rims and tubless tires, there's no reason not to get them. If you do replace them, you might consider getting the single, big, wide 14" tires and rims in the rear instead of buying another set of dually rims. The single, wider tires are supposed to give better fuel economy and a better ride. Plus, they get you around some restrictions on vehicles with 6 or more wheels!

There are plenty of split rimmed, tubless tired trucks and busses running around without problems. Lots of the schools still use them, and if the things were as dangerous as you have been told, the schools would be replacing them all with newer equipment.

If I had a jillion dollars to spend on the bus, I'd get a 6 speed manual transmission, a lower rear end ratio, and a set of wide rims for the rear.

Among other things!

This is just my opinion. Other folks might see it differently.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
I have the same kinds of rims, with tube tires. I did a lot of research on tires before buying a bus, and finally decided that as long as the tires themselves were in good shape, it really didn't matter. Split rims are different to work with, and require the proper equipment (safety cage); however, many tire shops that deal in tires to fit buses and trucks have such equipment -- it's not like you're going to be doing your own tire mounting -- so that's not really an issue. If you have a flat on the road, you're most likely going to call a service truck to fix it, so handling the wheel is probably not an issue. The "danger" from split rims comes primarly in the process of mounting and tires on the rims. Once the rim is on the bus, it's no more likely to than any other rim to be dangerous (practically speaking).

Tube tires are slightly less reliable than radials in some regards, but, again, for practical purposes (such as tailgaiting or camping), they are probably not noticeably less reliable than a radial.

I bet you'd spend a minimum of $500 or $600 to replace all your tires and rims (if you could find a used set in good condition), and you could easily spend much more.

On a cost-benefit basis, I'd suggest that your money would be better spent on other things. Of course, if you have plenty of money to throw at your bus, and you want some nice new rims and tubless tires, there's no reason not to get them. If you do replace them, you might consider getting the single, big, wide 14" tires and rims in the rear instead of buying another set of dually rims. The single, wider tires are supposed to give better fuel economy and a better ride. Plus, they get you around some restrictions on vehicles with 6 or more wheels!

There are plenty of split rimmed, tubless tired trucks and busses running around without problems. Lots of the schools still use them, and if the things were as dangerous as you have been told, the schools would be replacing them all with newer equipment.

If I had a jillion dollars to spend on the bus, I'd get a 6 speed manual transmission, a lower rear end ratio, and a set of wide rims for the rear.

Among other things!

This is just my opinion. Other folks might see it differently.
Well the problem with our current tires is they have some terrible dry rot on them, especially the steer tires. I don't want to lose one of those on the highway!

We want to replace the steer tires now and the back tires later on. Do any school districts run the wide singles on the back, I might be able to get some cheap used ones from them.
7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I used to have split rims on my bus and could not find ANY place that would put a new tire on them. Nobody in central iowa has the equipment anymore and nobody want to touch them. These are the nubbed (hammer together) type split rim not the turn to lock type.

Call around to the local junkyards its the easiest place to find replacement disc wheels. Just make sure to measure you bolt pattern properly.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote