Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Taylor Lake Village, TX
Posts: 182
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
I think I found the one.

Hi folks,
I'm new here. Been lurking for some time, until I was absolutely sure I wanted to join all you skoolie folks. I've read so many threads on here about how to choose a good bus, and I think I've found the one for me. She's a 1996 Ford B800 CE with a 5.9L Cummins and a 5 spd manual. Let me know what you think, just please don't bid on her.

~Alf

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/180530/item/DD2768

djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,440
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think tires are on the shopping list soon, other than that nothing jumps out at me that says run away. I'd like a closer look at the rust underneath but other pics make it look not bad.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,113
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Nice looking bus.

Like Marc said, check closely for rust issues.

The mechanical 5.9 and 5 speed with only 117k miles is nice. Not a speed demon but definitely a desirable setup.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 213
Looks good to me.

I can see a few things I might rust treat under the bus on the back, but the picture of the floor looks good.

Also looks good that the front axle looks like it was kept clean/painted over the life of the bus.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 644
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Great bus. Welcome aboard.
__________________
Mullet's Thunder Bus Build
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Taylor Lake Village, TX
Posts: 182
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Honestly with the paint, it wouldn't surprise me if it was painted on just for the auction. It looks a little too fresh, but it looks fairly well taken care of, and the pictures and video make it hard to hide serious issues.

I decided to start looking for the Cummins 12v instead of the DT466 mechanical, due to the sheer number of parts availability and familiarity. I'm pretty handy with automotive work myself (my first degree), so I feel confident that I can fix just about anything that goes wrong with it with maybe just the purchase of a few more tools.

I know people say it's underpowered, but those blocks have proven their capability to handle serious power, and with the p pump and simplicity of a strictly mechanical system, it should be no problem for long.

Wish me luck,
~Alf
djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,113
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post
Honestly with the paint, it wouldn't surprise me if it was painted on just for the auction. It looks a little too fresh, but it looks fairly well taken care of, and the pictures and video make it hard to hide serious issues.

I decided to start looking for the Cummins 12v instead of the DT466 mechanical, due to the sheer number of parts availability and familiarity. I'm pretty handy with automotive work myself (my first degree), so I feel confident that I can fix just about anything that goes wrong with it with maybe just the purchase of a few more tools.

I know people say it's underpowered, but those blocks have proven their capability to handle serious power, and with the p pump and simplicity of a strictly mechanical system, it should be no problem for long.

Wish me luck,
~Alf

Keep in mind that while the 5.9 can make a lot of power but it comes at the expense of longevity and reliability.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Taylor Lake Village, TX
Posts: 182
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Keep in mind that while the 5.9 can make a lot of power but it comes at the expense of longevity and reliability.

Yeah. Stupid physics... Im not ctrying to hot rod a bus, I just don't want to have any problems climbing the rockies.


~Alf
djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post
Yeah. Stupid physics... Im not ctrying to hot rod a bus, I just don't want to have any problems climbing the rockies.


~Alf
The DT466 is hands down the best diesel bus engine. The Cummings is good but the DT466 beats it hands down IMHO.

It's a beast of an engine..... pretty much bullet proof, lots of parts for decent "diesel" prices and can be rebuilt if need be in the bus.

The gearing of the bus means the most as far as pulling hills..... Power second. The DT466 has the juice.

Also, for me......if I was running the rockies a lot, I'd prefer a manual tranny as well. Sure helps on them downgrades!

If I would buy a diesel school bus.........the DT466 would, by far, be my first choice. Preferably with mechanical fuel injection.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Taylor Lake Village, TX
Posts: 182
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post
The DT466 is hands down the best diesel bus engine. The Cummings is good but the DT466 beats it hands down IMHO.

It's a beast of an engine..... pretty much bullet proof, lots of parts for decent "diesel" prices and can be rebuilt if need be in the bus.

The gearing of the bus means the most as far as pulling hills..... Power second. The DT466 has the juice.

Also, for me......if I was running the rockies a lot, I'd prefer a manual tranny as well. Sure helps on them downgrades!

If I would buy a diesel school bus.........the DT466 would, by far, be my first choice. Preferably with mechanical fuel injection.

I'm not trying to suggest that the 5.9 Cummins has the same power as the 7.6 DT. I have neither, but what I have learned from doing a whole heck lot of research is



1. The cast iron 5.9 is plenty strong enough to make 500hp without digging too deeply into the engine or my pockets.


2. While the DT has a faithful following in MDT circles, the 6BT has an equally if not larger following in the LDT arena which means an abundance of cheap parts and cheaper information.


3. I can hope to have a few mpg advantage in the 5.9 vs the 466.


And if I don't like it. I can try swapping in a 8.3


~Alf
djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.