Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester
If my wife would let me....

http://boulder.craigslist.org/ctd/2804181928.html

This would be a fun conversion.

RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: If my wife would let me....

I don't have the money to buy one of the long diesel powered trollys.. but that is what my wife wants me to convert..
One could take a school busor a truck and do a conversion, but the window frames, etc, would all take a long time to build, so there would be a lot of metal to purchase, and lots of glass, etc.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Think outside the box and use your imagination...
On the computer:
Choose a pic of flat faced bus. Overlay a pic of a trolley (or rail car) whose style you like. Stretch to get it lined up. Print the trolley out on regular paper and the schoolbus on a sheet of translucent tracing paper. Lay the schoolbus over the trolly and use a pencil to sketch in the trolley attributes you want.You will need to shift the paper around. Don't worry about scale at this point. Use a white craft eraser on the paper (I buy mine from DollarTree). You are making a "faux" trolly.. you will have "faux windows, you really don't want clear glass everywhere... use a "faux" frost (paint) with "mirror" solar film on plastic. Attach to the outside of the bus and trim out with "faux" wood (PVC.. doesn't rot, paint as desired). Use overlay trim to turn rectangular windows into arched windows. Clearstory in roof... Good place to run a roof top AC unit and ductwork (don't make too high... stay under 12'6" overall). Inside: recess lights and build down a 1" frame to accept plastic ceiling panels (use velco to keep from falling out). Paint PVC pipe brass for all the brass railing. Check out places like Renovators Supply or Van Dyke Restorers, mags/books on Victorian stuff. And when you look at pics in the mags/books onVictorian stuff, bear in mind that, in many cases, ORIGINALLY the marble, fancy woods, leathers, plaster and metals were "faux" or very thin veneers.

With a little "tweaking" , we could create a flat fronted bus that would look very close to the top pic. I would not have operational windows for most of the unit as they let in a lot of cold air in the winter and windows "get in the way" of cabinets and closets. The clearstory could be "opened" in a spot or two inside to add a little height between roof ribs and the side windows could be real in those spots and could let light in. Or they could all be simply white panels covering a few light bulbs that could be lit up at night.

Use your imagination. This method will help you visualize how to turn any bus into almost anything. It's all an illusion.

Flame on....
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

...no flames, I agree with you. A clerestory is a great idea for a skoolie.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: P35
Engine: 6.2l diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
...no flames, I agree with you. A clerestory is a great idea for a skoolie.
I saw a bookmobile with a clerestory roof and instantly fell in love with it. If I ever do a roof raise, it would be a clerestory style roof.
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

hmm an 1984.. odometer only 5 digits. heck of a wheel base on it to lol. would be neat being the door is so big and back.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote