Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #41

Ruckersville, VA CL buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico89 View Post
I have not had any time to get up there to see them yet. I keep checking their inventory to see if my favorite has sold and so far she hasn't. My wife is totally on board with the idea but she wants me to wait until after my deployment to pick her up. Torn on what I'll actually do. I've been in trouble before LOL!
I recently checked out most of the buses at M and M auto salvage ( paying particular interest in the international drivetrains) I saw several decent transit style buses but every conventional bus without major issues such as leaks and rust had a T444e and an at545 trans. There were 3 conventional buses with a 175hp dt466e and spicer 5 speed (number 70, 53 and 93). They do not have 2 speed rear ends. The second lever near the shifter is for the parking brake. Each had excessive oil leaks, a little more body and frame rust than I would have liked and #70 has a major leak from the differential pinion seal and the power steering pump.

Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C. View Post
I recently checked out most of the buses at M and M auto salvage ( paying particular interest in the international drivetrains) I saw several decent transit style buses but every conventional bus without major issues such as leaks and rust had a T444e and an at545 trans. There were 3 conventional buses with a 175hp dt466e and spicer 5 speed (number 70, 53 and 93). They do not have 2 speed rear ends. The second lever near the shifter is for the parking brake. Each had excessive oil leaks, a little more body and frame rust than I would have liked and #70 has a major leak from the differential pinion seal and the power steering pump.
Buddy you just saved me a long weekend! The wife and I had figured we could go after I return from a short business trip in mid March to check out #70 specifically. She is very interested in this as well and wants to see for herself what we are getting. You answered everything I would have asked if I could have found someone to go up for me! Thank you so very much for that. Looks like the search continues as I'm not thrilled with the information in the response (but very happy with the response!).
Medico89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C. View Post
Nothing beats a pair of eyeballs on the ground. You just saved Medico 10-12 hours of driving time.

Early on in my search for a bus, I was told that second lever was for the 2 sp rear.......if that lever always a parking brake? And, if so, where is the shifter for the rear located?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
If it had a 2 speed rear end with a manual transmission, the 2 speed function would be a push pull button on the gear shift lever
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
If it had a 2 speed rear end with a manual transmission, the 2 speed function would be a push pull button on the gear shift lever
Gotcha.....thanks.

I learned to drive on my grandpa's farm tractor, and the hi/lo lever was mounted the same as that parking brake lever, so I never questioned it.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
just remember...most two speeds are Low...and Lower.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote