Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
looking for a base for conversion project

located in NM and looking for a larger size 60-90 passenger bus. preferable TD466 engine with relatively low mileage. looking to spend no more than 7000 on unconverted and a little more if some of the work is already done.

Rbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sounds like a very realistic plan. Your bus choice also seems to be what most people want so the competition maybe a little fierce. You've budgeted more than you should need for a bus like you want.

Welcome ad have fun.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
located in NM and looking for a larger size 60-90 passenger bus. preferable TD466 engine with relatively low mileage. looking to spend no more than 7000 on unconverted and a little more if some of the work is already done.
Check out AAA Bus Sales, Inc. in Phoenix, Arizona.

They may have what you are looking for. I paid way less than that for a 2002 International Conventional with the T444e engine.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Also be looking on GovDeals and Public Surplus. Our primary shopping experience.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

thank you guys for all of the info and help. AAA in AZ was a hit. I found several that i am going to look at on monday. IF all goes well I should have a bus to take home tuesday. Does any one have advice to getting home and putting title in my name before conversion and considered an RV? I have read that I need to take stop sign off, any lettering indicating it is still a operating bus, most likely pull a few rows of seats to make it look like its heading in the direction of an Rv, and cover the blinking lights. Any other suggestion to getting it home without any issues by the law? once home getting it in my name before conversion is complete? Thank you guys for all of the help!!!!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
thank you guys for all of the info and help. AAA in AZ was a hit. I found several that i am going to look at on monday. IF all goes well I should have a bus to take home tuesday. Does any one have advice to getting home and putting title in my name before conversion and considered an RV? I have read that I need to take stop sign off, any lettering indicating it is still a operating bus, most likely pull a few rows of seats to make it look like its heading in the direction of an Rv, and cover the blinking lights. Any other suggestion to getting it home without any issues by the law? once home getting it in my name before conversion is complete? Thank you guys for all of the help!!!!
Everyone that goes to that dealer comes away with a good story, it seems.

Sure, you pay dealer prices (but not the highest), and they make sure everything works before it leaves the lot.

They should be able to issue a temporary tag for the drive home, all you will need is insurance. You will also have to check your state rules on your driver's license. Some states will require you to test and add a vehicle class, some won't.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3L T444 Navistar Diesel Automatic
Quote:
Since they are a full blown dealership they can set you up with a 90 license.

If your state doesn't charge sales tax on vehicles you can get the tax refunded to you when you register in your state.

Please let them know that Mike J in California referred you. They don't pay me at all but I'd like them to know that I'm recommending them.

I drove my bus home to SoCal without changing a thing on it. No worries about that at all. I even used the stop sign at a crosswalk when I got into town to help an old lady cross the street.
mikej42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

thanks mike J I will let them know you referred me. We are going to AZ tomorrow and if all goes well monday or tuesday will be returning to NM with a bus. My family and I are very excited! thank you guys for the info.

When registering bus upon return home... any suggestions? I know things vary from state to state, just looking for general advice for getting title in my name asap. it will be parked until conversion is complete so i can register it as a MH. I've seen some people send thing off to VT to get registered as MH... any have any luck with that or advice?