Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
That'll probably be the 6V92 Detroit. That will be one quick bus on the highways. It should pass everything on the road, including many gas stations.

Ages ago I drove an old Peterbilt that had the 8V92(?) (often called the 318 Detroit) that would run well over 90 on flat ground. It had "mufflers" (hollowed) and could be heard on a clear night several miles away. They are known to be loud. Buses usually have much improved mufflers.

For the asking price, I'd snatch that up quick if it checks out.
I totally concur!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNaomi View Post
I found this nearby, that looks really tempting. Aside from the fact that I'll need to take the CDL course for it, can anyone tell me anything I'm missing about it that an experienced bus person could tell from the ad?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/r...265687907.html
That is a very attractive bus especially for your needs. Just make sure you inspect everything Any vehicle that is almost 40 years old can have lots of little things that need attention. And on a vehicle with components like a bus those little things can add up quickly. Not saying it will it looks well maintained from what I can see. If you know someone who is very mechanically inclined take them! Never hurts to have a second opinion I hope it works out for you I really like your idea.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Close. It was the 8v71 that was referred to as the 318. A common configuration of the 8v71 produced 318hp.

I put 250k miles on my last one and I will agree that they are great motors.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I lived in a vanHool bus for 4 years and it was great. For overall space I experienced then that a FE with that long drive shaft wastes a lot of space.
Unless you are going to spend major time on a roof raise it is always going to be a tunnel or cave feeling, can be cozy , if it is your style.
For an open feeling with 8 ft ceiling I would go with a low floor transit bus.
I know,.. may be not the charm and simplicity of a true skoolie aka truck chassis ... but very easy to convert, very spacious and pleaant to get in.

Take a drive with the local city transit buses so that you can see if it would work for you.

Great idea to have a mobile massagynis,
Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think a transit bus woukld make a fantastic massage bus.. the rear portion that usually has a raised floor could make for storage units.. the low floors and kneeling capabilities make it great even for customers with trouble walking stairs.. face it one of the toughest things to do if your back hurts and you want it relaxed is to climb narrow steep steps..

transit busses look professional.. you could even leave the windows in it (whiuch are dark tinted) and then simply use privacy insulated / darkening shades on the inside.. this way it blends in more and looks more like a standard bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think a transit bus woukld make a fantastic massage bus.. the rear portion that usually has a raised floor could make for storage units.. the low floors and kneeling capabilities make it great even for customers with trouble walking stairs.. face it one of the toughest things to do if your back hurts and you want it relaxed is to climb narrow steep steps..

transit busses look professional.. you could even leave the windows in it (whiuch are dark tinted) and then simply use privacy insulated / darkening shades on the inside.. this way it blends in more and looks more like a standard bus..

-Christopher
IMO a transit bus would look a lot more professional.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IMO a transit bus would look a lot more professional.
I'm trying to arrange a time to go look at the transit bus I posted the ad for. I'll report back about what happens!
PocketNaomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Also keep an eye out for any nice Gillig transits. I seem to see a lot of them up in your area on the auction sites from time to time.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

I've seen them, but they're really expensive so far.

At the moment, the options within my price range seem to include -- unless that party bus actually shows up -- I talked briefly to the owner but he's dropped off the planet since -- a couple of gas-fueled RV/buses which I'd need to find a place to fuel up, because the gas station near me has a roof that's too low for the bus to go under... and this skoolie:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...263650201.html

Anyone want to weigh in on the merits or flaws of the skoolie? I don't MIND using a school bus, if it can be renovated to do what I want to do, but I want to get a good one if I can.

If none of the options make sense, I'll wait and not get anything till I find something which does. But I want to be realistic about what I can get for the price I can afford, and if that means that I have to either go gas-fueled transit bus or diesel-fueled school bus, I'm inclined toward the school bus unless I learn more about why gas is OK.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've seen them, but they're really expensive so far.

At the moment, the options within my price range seem to include -- unless that party bus actually shows up -- I talked briefly to the owner but he's dropped off the planet since -- a couple of gas-fueled RV/buses which I'd need to find a place to fuel up, because the gas station near me has a roof that's too low for the bus to go under... and this skoolie:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...263650201.html

Anyone want to weigh in on the merits or flaws of the skoolie? I don't MIND using a school bus, if it can be renovated to do what I want to do, but I want to get a good one if I can.

If none of the options make sense, I'll wait and not get anything till I find something which does. But I want to be realistic about what I can get for the price I can afford, and if that means that I have to either go gas-fueled transit bus or diesel-fueled school bus, I'm inclined toward the school bus unless I learn more about why gas is OK.
lowest headroom and inward slanted walls from the windows up on that.
You'll want a high headroom BlueBird or International/IC/Amtran if you're using a school bus, IMO. Something like a shorty TC1000.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
lowest headroom and inward slanted walls from the windows up on that.
You'll want a high headroom BlueBird or International/IC/Amtran if you're using a school bus, IMO. Something like a shorty TC1000.
Shorty anything wouldn't work. I need at LEAST 20' of space just for the actual work area, and then add in a bathroom and preferably a small office area. Ideally, I'm looking between 24' and 30', depending on the layout. But I take your point about the headroom. If I get it, I'll definitely need to raise the roof, and that's money I'll need to factor in.

Is there anything else you can spot that I need to consider about it that a beginner wouldn't know?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Shorty anything wouldn't work. I need at LEAST 20' of space just for the actual work area, and then add in a bathroom and preferably a small office area. Ideally, I'm looking between 24' and 30', depending on the layout. But I take your point about the headroom. If I get it, I'll definitely need to raise the roof, and that's money I'll need to factor in.

Is there anything else you can spot that I need to consider about it that a beginner wouldn't know?

TC1000
flat floor, high headroom. About 20 feet or so.

Tags
buying, mechanical, wanted