Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Looking for a crown bus

John,
Yes, I bought this bus from Patrick. I will need to go pick it up in the next few months. Nebraska has different classifications for a commercial drivers license, and I will need a different class if the GVRW is over 36000 pounds, so I will just plan on it. Thanks for the help! Let me know if there is anything else I should look out for.
Brock

tubing&adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

CDL laws should be national which was the whole point of the system, to be able to track driving infractions and have uniform standard for commercial drivers. Before this, each state had its own standards and did not all reciprocate on points (they still dont for regular class drivers, only CDL). Any straight vehicle over 26,001lbs requires a CDL (B) and any vehicle over 15 passenger would require a passenger endorsement. There are some places that exclude the passenger for people such as mechanics that may need to drive a bus to swap or check it out but you as the owner would probably not qualify for this exemption. You would be in the clear if the title is changed to an RV but that isnt really an option if you are transporting people for rafting.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Kamoo, from what I have read up on, you are correct. I will be needing a Class B CDL and will need endorsements for passenger and air brakes. I am pretty much screwed since I will be actually using the bus to transport people instead of an RV. After I pass the written tests, I will have to take a driving skills test...which might pose a challenge since I don't have the vehicle here. I may be stuck with trying to borrow a vehicle, which may be tough to find. I was thinking about checking with some local bus companies to see if they offer driving tests for their employees. Another thing that I have learned is that I get stopped for a traffic violation, whether I am in my bus or in my regular vehicle, then it will be a federal offense rather than a state offense...due to the CDL being governed federally. So that makes it almost impossible to have violations dropped or have lesser charges. Oh well, it is what it is, I guess.
Brock
Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Smitty,
As I build this business up, I will need to. Right now, I am handling everything myself. I already hired a couple 16 year old kids to help out next summer, but I will be doing the driving. Maybe the summer after that i will hire a driver. I will definitely have to hire more as I purchase more buses.
Brock
Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Another thing that I have learned is that I get stopped for a traffic violation, whether I am in my bus or in my regular vehicle, then it will be a federal offense rather than a state offense...due to the CDL being governed federally. So that makes it almost impossible to have violations dropped or have lesser charges.
That's the first I heard of that. What is the source of the information? I have a CDL, and would really like to know.

I know that if you have a 'professional' license, an officer may be less likely to let you off with a warning, since you are supposed to know better. And your moving violations may track across state lines, so a persistent violator can be identified.

The idea behind Federal CDL laws was to make it illegal to have a pocket full of licenses. In the old days, a percentage of drivers would take multiple road tests. If you got stopped in Pennsylvania, show the officer your Kansas license. If you got stopped in Kansas, show one from Louisiana. Now, each driver gets to keep ONE license from the state of his/her choosing (or residence).
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I have often wondered this myself but as far as I can gather, you are only ticketed as per the vehicle you are driving. I have received many tickets in a normal vehicle and there is always a check box as to wether you are in a commercial vehicle or not. If you drink, the CDL DUI is .04 which is typically half of most states .08 bus should only be enforced if you are caught driving a CMV. I have had 2 problems with normal driving and a CDL. 1. I lived in VA and had a few moving violations which, due to the CDL, transferred back to My Florida license (which did not happen for my wife, they were wiped clean with a normal license) 2. In Florida you can take a class to get rid of your points if you have a ticket but with a CDL you cannot wether the infraction was CDL or not. Its such a hassle to get one so I never dropped it and it has got me out a few tickets the latest being 86 in a 65 (unfortunately not in my bus since it only goes 60). BTW, to get a B with passenger, you have to take the road test in a bus unlike any other endorsement which makes it a double PITA
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

I got that information from a friend of mine that is an attorney, but she may not know what she is talking about. She did mention that you cannot take the class to whipe the ticket off your record if you have a CDL. And she mentioned that if you get a DUI, then you cannot make any deals for a lesser charge. She said that people with CDL's are held to a higher standard, so that is why they are treated that way. Again, she may be full of it too.

So if I have to take a driving test in a bus, does it have to be one as large as the one I am getting, or can I take it in a regular school bus?

Brock
Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Road tests generally need to be in a "representitive vehicle" for the license you are trying for. I have a bunch of endorsements from passing the written tests, but my "passenger endorsement" on the CDL is restricted to 7 seats because I showed up with a semi-tractor and low-boy trailer. I need a new learner's permit and second road test to have the restriction lifted.

To get a Class B, you will almost certainly need a bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. Pass in one rated at 26,500, and you can drive as big a straight truck as you want to afterward. Use one 26,000 or less, and you probably get a Class C with a weight limit.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, so I have a new question. I have seen a lot of crown buses with top lights on the front and back that have a "bug" look or "dog ear" look to them. The bus I bought does not have them, and I would like to purchase some for it. Does anyone know where I can buy some from?
Thanks,
Brock Beran
Tubing & Adventures
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78

I have now read the entire thread.................Of Brocks travails..........notice not Travels...........When I first read he was transporting "tubers" I assumed he had some esoteric clandestine potato smuggling business.
Are people smoking these now? As I read along, I noticed, yeah I'm really bright..........That as one door opened it seemed another few doors also opened and eventually what was the initial "stumbling Brock", "I'm looking for a Crown" eventuated to a mystical tumble down the Bunny Hole......with adversarial circumstances clothed as Federal Agents with CDL armbands, Jumping from well forested trees carrying "breathalizers" (sP) in their tool belts intent on searching what might have been Just a guy in a yellow Crown.........going up for some tubing with his Friends. Let me see if I can climb out of the "Bunny Hole"..offer some suggestions..........Number 1.) Get the Bus registered as an RV...do not pass go do not collect $200.00. If they won't do it in California...........get it done in Nebraska. In California, as long as you are not Commercially operating the Bus, Air Brakes or not no CDL needed. Get a temp tag in California........and take your Bus Home. Title it as an RV.
Now the second part, Part 2........requires a little more art. Make sure that your state requires a CDL for operating Air Brakes. Please try to disassociate yourself from your notion that somehow Air Brakes, and CDL's go hand in hand. Many Motorhomes, RV's, etc...........have air brakes..........and don't require drivers to have a Class B..........or a CDL....Wow..........Now I'm Crazy.........

Number 3. Insurance for operating a "Commercial Enterprise"........particularly a Crown "tuber" delivery service..........will certainly find its way into some esoteric insurance premium.....then again maybe not........I would not make transportation in any way part of the package you sell.............In other words........all payment.....and conditions of payment should specifically preclude any associated fees for transportation............Transportation should be free....In other words your going up the mountain with a bunch of your friends to do some tubing............Your just a guy that has discovered some really "neat places" to "Tube"........you know how to get there, you have a lot of equipment to Rent, once you get there you can counsel on the Tubers "do's and don'ts. Your a guide.........providing a service...........You are very good at what you do. You develop relationships and trust with the people who come to you. If I were doing this "tuber thing" I would have each "potato" a "contract" That is explicit in what services you DO provide. Absent in this contract any language that speaks to transportation..no reference to travel at all. They may ask you, your clients, and you may answer them in a friendly way. In fact, you could say '"My friend I'm going to make sure you and the rest of our friends get safely to our destination"....Think about it. Even if you get stopped for some infraction, you could tell the officer, I'm just taking some friends up to go tubing. After all, presumably, you have committed some infraction in order to draw their attention. Let them ticket you for that. You could actually prior to starting out on your trek to your favorite Tubing Site, Swear them all in as your friends: that way they can testify in Court, or we available as witnesses for your hanging. Sometimes we just need to move ahead like free men, and do what comes naturally. After all..........you have retained your status as a non-professional........and we have pretty much established that holding a CDL establishes a much more stringent thresh-hold you need adhere to. So keep it simple.....you can't be expected to know all of these things, your a guy that likes floating around in rubber donuts.........I'm just trying to make a living your honor........I'm just running down a Dream. Get away with what you can get away with for as long as you can get away with it. That's my advice. Learn to Drive your Bus. Take it out by yourself, find out what it's like to have to Brake in an instant, find out how to navigate and Brake in Gravel, learn your turning points, learn how to safety check your coach, check the fluids, the air, keep your tires legal, and your steering tight.................Get a feel for this Machine you are driving...........Become a Driver...........If you can do these things my Son..........If you can become One with your machine, to where it is a soul felt extension of your mind......and read a couple of books.........in 6 months go take your CDl.........and blow the guy away with your Driving Test...........The book stuff is simple.......Weights per Axel..........setting up emergency signs.....traffic laws............
GO OUT ON YOUR OWN WHERE YOU CAN'T HURT ANYONE BUT YOU.........AND LEARN, ABOUT THE BEAUTIFUL MACHINE.........AND LOVE THE BEAUTIFUL MACHINE.........AND ONE EARLY MORNING, WITH A LIGHT MIST IN THE AIR, ON A CLEAR BRIGHT NIGHT, YOU WILL FEEL THE MAGIC.......IN THE TRANCE OF JUST YOU.......THE SMOOTH SWEET HUM OF THE CUMMINS SIX, AS YOU SAIL ON A SMOOTH WIDE HIGHWAY...........DRIVING RIGHT INTO THE MOON....STRAIGHT INTO THE MOON.....JUST YOU THE SOUND OF YOUR MACHINE..........AND THE MOON BABY...........THAT'S HOW i ROLL...........Coming out of the hatch now...........Good luck Brock.........thanks for letting me have some fun.........This is Mokibra Out.........Proud new owner of 1990 Crown.......40ft...mid-ship Cummins NT855..300 HP..........5sp Fuller Eaton.........full tint..........doesn't say School bus anywhere on it...........but it's Yellow Baby...........152,000 verified miles....I've got some driving to do.........Maybe there's a job for me in Nebraska...........Tubing? hhhhhmmmmmmm Tubing?..............................NNNNaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Mokibra...what can I say. I am truly impressed. While reading your poetry, I couldn't help wiping away a few tears rolling down my face yet contain the excitement. I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas. In all honesty, I do appreciate your advice, and I will take it under consideration. Regardless if they are my friends or not, Nebraska law states that a CDL is required when carrying 15 or more passengers. I do agree with you that I need to get a feel for the bus and practice driving it before I take my road test. Feel free to add your comments and advice any time you want, because that just made my cloudy/blizzardy day much brighter.
Brock