Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Looking for a Skoolie!

Hello, I've been searching high and low, first it was transits and promasters, than it was used sprinters, now I've realized the great price and size I can get with a 18 passenger skoolie!

anyway I'm in North Jersey and I have found one with 220k miles, less rust than a lot others I've seen, one leak coming from the drivers side front left of the engine block, and decent tires. The guy said he wont go lower than 2k$.

Any more experienced buyers/mechanics, could please help me out with a recommendation. I'd even be willing to pay a mechanic to come with me to see the van and figure out what needs to be repairs.

Please let me know! would be much appreciated. Thank you

rcc188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
With "less rust..." and an indeterminate leak, I believe my first recommendation would be to keep looking. A leak may be repairable with an unknown level of cost and effort, but rust ... that will require a *LOT* of cost *AND* effort. If it were me, I'd keep looking.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Less rust than the others means you're still looking at buses in the wrong area. It is good that you're looking at buses because you're going to learn a lot. You may even have a chance to drive some, but don't buy a rust bucket. If you can see rust, there's going to be more rust under those panels. Just say NO. Don't do rust.

The cost of those rusty buses will be similar to a good bus. Make it easy on yourself. It's risky buying any used vehicle. Don't add rust repair to the list of things that need fixed. You'd be better off and much further ahead to drive a good bus back from CO or somewhere.

Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation
Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions
https://www.govdeals.com/