Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Looking for aluminum wheels

Bus salvage yards, and sales yards......they normally strip the buses that they cannot sell, and try to sell the parts, ie wheels, tires, engine, trans etc...
have seem a few with aluminum wheels but they are far and few between.

Good luck

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I think you will find that your wheel studs are too short unless you plan on changing them.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

The chrome wheel liners look good if not better than the aluminum wheels to me plus they are cheaper but not by much........
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We have the chrome liners on the Class C... let me amend that, we removed them off the rear duallys because they were a PITA when it came to changing tires and putting air in the tires (which is a PITA anyway). The from liners are all shiny... and muddy from a dirt dobber nest that was in it when we hit rain while coming out west (haven't had enough rain since). The spiders LOVE to spin webs all in the liners.

The BB has super rusty liners on the front wheels and not on the rear. I will just paint the rims with Rustoleum Hammered (either black or the copper I painting everything with). I might paint the front liners if the rims under the liners look bad. More painting.... You also have to take into account that I don't like chrome.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
You also have to take into account that I don't like chrome.
Why didn't you just say so........

I had both the liners and alumunum wheels....... The liners where easier to clean than the wheels.
Plus we had the value extenders which made it a lot easier to air up the tires....
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I do a lot of work at a quarry and all their OTR trucks have aluminum wheels to save weight. they get them from a truck/trailer salvage yard so you just need to find a large salvage yard near you and start negotiating. Almost all trucks and trailers run aluminum because it saves a lot of weight. Now most if not all will be larger than what you need if you only need 8.25 wide tires. Also do you know if you have stud or hub centered wheels? You will need to know that before you go looking. Just look at your lug nuts, if a wedge like a car then you have stud centered wheels, if they have a big washer on the wheel side of the nut then they are hub centered. good hunting sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

montgomery salvage in montgomery city Mo 573 564 2489 give them a call, they aren't cheap though, and see if you can deal with them, they will probably come with some kind of tire on them, remember to tell them if you want stud or hub centered. You might get a better deal if you buy wheels with good tires rather than just bare wheels. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

An aluminum wheel is probably worth close to $125-150 just as SCRAP...you will pay THROUGH THE NOSE for good ones. I don't like them, I'd rather run painted (black, to throw off heat) steel wheels even at the same price. Those chrome simulaators are lousy...easy to damage, they can make tire pressure checks PAINFUL (those edges are sharp!), and they hold heat in the brakes.

For me, it was moot: my Genesis has Dayton wheels.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote