Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Looking for an Awning on a budget...

Im trying to find a reasonably nice used RV awning for cheap, any suggestions on where to look. Or if someone wants to get rid of theirs...

Or even if someone knows how to make one cheap.. Please let me know...

Thanks

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Almost There

Send a message via Yahoo to TravelingMan
I know your putting alot of effort into your bus, so this may not do the trick for you but I plan on buying a new canvas tarp from Atwoods put some good heavy eyebolts in the roof and carry some polls to stake in the ground. I know they sell some 30ft tarps so you could have shade the length of you bus.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

Saw an RV in a bone yard in North Billerica, MA.
Jack's Auto Parts, try the phone book or google, or something, I don't have their phone number to hand.
The awning and supports looked to be in VERY good condition.
The RV was formerly owned by Red Hook Brewery, or at least it's decorated with all of their large grapics.

The awning is mounted on a late '80's RV, don't remember the brand.
It also has a fairly clean three-way fridge in it, among other things. I bought a small (pop-up sized) three-way fridge from them for $20, they might charge you $50 for it.
It also has a built-in vac system, and a good furnace and oither stuff IIRC.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

Awesome, I'll give them a call and see whats up. I wish I could get out there and see it, but I'll take your word on it. If they have it, I hope they can strip it off and ship it w/o charging me a fortune. We'll have to see...

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Skoolie

Well, I found one and got it ordered. Great Lakes Awning, in Wyoming, MI, had a few on ebay, but none of the color and size that I wanted. So I emailed them to see if they had any others. Turned out they had one 21' with red-fade fabric in stock. for about $400. So I said what the hey... other name brand 21'ers are going for like $750.

But they didn't want to sponsor my bus by giving me $80 free shipping in exchange for their logo on both sides of my bus. Just not interested they said, ha! Oh well... more freebees will come im sure.

It should be here next week, can't wait to see it and get it on there after I paint.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

How did it work? I'm also looking for some type of awning solution.
7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Our awning, for reference. Made from hardware store materials, costing just under $50.

Sean & Rhonda
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. There is an ebay power seller called TRI STATE SURPLUS who has some parts & pieces. He won't ship the awning & roller, but given your location that might be within your reach for a dirt cheap price. You can look through his store, he has the arms in one auction, the awning in another....
TRI STATE

I have bought several items for my bus from this guy, he's a good seller and fast shipper!! Got all my RV windows, one of my cargo doors, some cabinet trim etc....

The awning arms are at $75, and the awning & roller is 17' long cost $149...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Skoolie

SeanF, try a drilled hole and a simple nail or pin to keep the lower end of your awning supports in their pipe supports.

Another idea I had just now, as I've been doing fence and gate repairs:
go to a place that sells fence and gate stuff. Then look for the 90-degree gate corners, and use the 1-3/8 inch pipe that fits it, to make up awning frames. This stuff is heavier than conduit/EMT. However, it may not have the adaptability of the EMT, with all it's fittings.....

Also, you can get top-rail-ends for fencing (terminates the top rail of a chanlink fence at the end posts), and use the same 1-3/8 fence pipe...this allows an eylet end on a pipe, and lets you pivot on another fitting. Lets you keep the awning permanently attached, it's already galvanized, etc.
Just put extra grommets on any awning material, and thread the awning on with loops of rope going through the grommets....jeez, I really gotta figure out how to use a camera and computer so I can post photos of what I'm talking about!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Grimm
SeanF, try a drilled hole and a simple nail or pin to keep the lower end of your awning supports in their pipe supports.
Good stuff... we'll see how it behaves with the first good gust of wind!