Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Looking for Converted School Bus

Hello,
I'm posting this thread to get information on the best way/places to find already converted buses. My husband and I are looking to buy one we can live in so would like it to have bathroom, kitchen, and water tank system already installed. We are willing to do some repairs or upgrades but nothing too major. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Kelsey

groners8914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd say be picky. You don't want to be buying someone else's mistakes and problems. If it still has the metal interior, you can bet its a hasty conversion.
If you're near Colorado get in contact with forum member "Charles M". He knows bus conversions.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. If we were in Colorado I'd look the guy up. Taking our time to find the right one. Unfortunately we don't have the time or space to do a major conversion ourselves.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Tell us your surrounding area and what type of body and conversion you are looking for? That might open up a few more leed's?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by groners8914 View Post
Hello,
I'm posting this thread to get information on the best way/places to find already converted buses. My husband and I are looking to buy one we can live in so would like it to have bathroom, kitchen, and water tank system already installed. We are willing to do some repairs or upgrades but nothing too major. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Kelsey
With the right budget & time you could do it in a few weeks.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

We are in Virginia but willing to travel for the right bus. Ideally we would like a blue bird all american but willing to look at other models. Would prefer fully converted but could go for a bus that just needs a few things needed to be finished. I know we could do it ourselves but with our current jobs and living situation there is no way to do it.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If it still has the metal interior, you can bet its a hasty conversion.
The metal interior? I own a skoolie and I'm still learning so many basics every day. So, mine still has the metal interior. Do most people remove it? What is this called? Is there a guide to this? What are the advantages?
jMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jMyles View Post
The metal interior? I own a skoolie and I'm still learning so many basics every day. So, mine still has the metal interior. Do most people remove it? What is this called? Is there a guide to this? What are the advantages?
If the bus still has the aluminum panels on the sides and the original metal ceiling then that means that there is a very strong possibility that the original fiberglass batting insulation is still behind the side panels and ceiling. That insulation is notorious for harboring mold and critters and has horrible insulation properties.

If you're going to spend any length of time living in the bus then you are better off taking the side panels and ceiling off so that moldy insulation can be removed and better insulation can be installed in it's place.

Josiah is doing a great job on his bus and you can get an idea of how to take those panels down on his site: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/re...ess-11820.html
Old 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
If you're going to spend any length of time living in the bus then you are better off taking the side panels and ceiling off so that moldy insulation can be removed and better insulation can be installed in it's place. X2

Josiah is doing a great job on his bus and you can get an idea of how to take those panels down on his site: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/re...ess-11820.html
Thanks FlyboyHPD. Totally agree with you, that insulation needs to be removed and replaced.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote