Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

looking for good source for radiator

It is time for a new core for my Crown bus. My radiator is made as a top tank, center core and bottom tank. I need a phone number of a radiator shop who can sell me a core and ship to me. Thanks, Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Very poor uninformed posts

Please read this inquiry. I am an old guy with many years of mechanical experiences. My history is of owning 16 buses of which i still own 6 buses. I have lots of mechanical past. The suggestions by ben2go and smitty are terrible. Thanks ben2go, please just go. I do not need or want a lesson on radiator design. Do ya have a bus? Please don't give more advice till ya get a bus. To smitty, thanks, you are correct, there are radiator shops in my town. My Crown bus has a 3 part radiator. To the other post, it is my understanding that a vessel under pressure, will raise the boiling point 2 degrees for every pound of pressure. I am merely seeking a cheep easy source for buying a core size that can be bolted to my top and bottom tanks. All radiators are not one piece. My radiator is side mounted and down flow with no ram air. Side flow is used to slow the flow thru this cooling system. The core is 39 inches wide, 16 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches thick. My engine is a Cummins 14L. Poor posts are not helpful to anyone. Opinions are of less value. My last Crown core cost $1080 plus $80 shipping 3 years ago. Frank in Idaho
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0798a.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: looking for good source for radiator

Ok, Frank. I'm going to be of no help to you, but I've never seen a radiator like that. So the tanks can be removed and are presumably gasketed and bolted to the core? It's an interesting design. What prevents them from recoring or resoldering that design?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

radiator repair

Big rig and some buses use a 3 piece radiator that rarely needs any repair. If the outside tubes are damaged, then some minor repair can be done. These radiators are built to last a very long time. Most big equipment use a coolant filter which also dispenses chemicals to keep the ph of the coolant neutral. The pieces of the radiator are indeed gasketed with over 100 5/16 bolts holding parts in place. The radiators can be disassembled by any competent mechanic by merely changing parts. Radiator shops mostly remove the center section called the core, and demand about 1.5-2.5 hours, for this work. The cores are heavy and made at a factory for a special radiator. The cores are constantly being changed to maximize the cooling design. Some cores have 6-8 rows of tubes. Some modern tubes are tear drop shape as to increase the ability to shed temps, and the tubes are staggered to make a restricted air pathway. The heat load of heavy equipment is very difficult to manage with the different topography, up and down the mountains. Frank in Idaho
Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

Even if I had the answer, would I dare to state it, and risk the wrath?
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

It might pay off to make a call to one of the northern CA school transportation departments. With the Crowns on the way out you may get lucky and find a surplus part or one of their local radiator shops that they use having what you need sitting around. Maybe it will turn into a good parts source for you in the future.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote