Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: 7.6 L / DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Pass.
Looking for RE adventure bus!

My fiancé and I are from Savannah, GA interested in an RE bus. I heard that IHC DT466/530 or Cummins 8.3L/ISC in 285-325 are good ones to consider. I would like something for long distance. What type of specifications should I be looking for? If you know of anyone selling or you yourself are selling let me know!!

Does this look like a good bus? I think this a city/school bus instead of long trip-going over mountain type of bus, but might as well ask.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5792301229.html

Also I attached some floor plans if anyone is interested! Let me know which ones you like the best.

Thanks

TheRoanBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

You have several floor plans that look really nice. What I didn't see is a floor plan where you can walk around the bed.

Trust me when I say this, having a walk around bed is no longer a "nice-to-have feature" at dark thirty in the morning and you have to go to the bathroom and you are next to the wall.

If you are under the age of 30 you probably won't understand this. But again, trust me on this, the importance of having a nice comfy chair in which you can sit at the end of the day can't be stressed enough.

I have seen several floor plans that included a drop down panel to cover the stair well so that the co-pilot could sit with their feet on the floor. Those that had co-pilot seats like that built them so that they could swivel at least 180*. In that way the seat could be used not only when going down the road but when the bus was parked as well.

Avion made three different floor plans for their tri-axle trailers. One had a rear bathroom, one had a side bathroom, and one had a pass through bathroom. Of the three, the 34X with the rear bedroom and pass through bathroom is the most sought after. The difference between the pass through and the side bathroom is instead of all of the plumbing being on the street side the pass through bathroom had the toilet and basin on one side and the shower/tub was on the other with the hallway between. With doors on either end you could close off the bathroom for privacy. And instead of having a bathroom the size of a phone booth you have a bathroom with enough room to stretch your arms all the way out. http://www.gradeless.com/avion/1988/1988.pdf
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

By the way, the IC RE bus for sale for $3,350.00 doesn't look like a bad bus and the price is very reasonable.

If the bus has the DT466 it is a real bargain.

If the bus has the T444 it is an okay bargain.

The DT466 will push that bus down the road, uphill and down, with very little "effort".

The T444 will do okay on the flat but will slow way down on the hills and will do everything as if it was huffing and puffing to do it.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I put my bed across the wheel wells and it was awesome. Not too big a hassle to either go around the back ddoor or stp over it....for the first TWO months! After that i moved it to the side and asked myself "oh why did i put myself through that for two months!"
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoanBus View Post
My fiancé and I are from Savannah, GA interested in an RE bus. I heard that IHC DT466/530 or Cummins 8.3L/ISC in 285-325 are good ones to consider. I would like something for long distance. What type of specifications should I be looking for? If you know of anyone selling or you yourself are selling let me know!!

Does this look like a good bus? I think this a city/school bus instead of long trip-going over mountain type of bus, but might as well ask.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5792301229.html

Also I attached some floor plans if anyone is interested! Let me know which ones you like the best.

Thanks

What program is this for doing lay outs.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
You have several floor plans that look really nice. What I didn't see is a floor plan where you can walk around the bed.

Trust me when I say this, having a walk around bed is no longer a "nice-to-have feature" at dark thirty in the morning and you have to go to the bathroom and you are next to the wall.

If you are under the age of 30 you probably won't understand this. But again, trust me on this, the importance of having a nice comfy chair in which you can sit at the end of the day can't be stressed enough.

I have seen several floor plans that included a drop down panel to cover the stair well so that the co-pilot could sit with their feet on the floor. Those that had co-pilot seats like that built them so that they could swivel at least 180*. In that way the seat could be used not only when going down the road but when the bus was parked as well.

Avion made three different floor plans for their tri-axle trailers. One had a rear bathroom, one had a side bathroom, and one had a pass through bathroom. Of the three, the 34X with the rear bedroom and pass through bathroom is the most sought after. The difference between the pass through and the side bathroom is instead of all of the plumbing being on the street side the pass through bathroom had the toilet and basin on one side and the shower/tub was on the other with the hallway between. With doors on either end you could close off the bathroom for privacy. And instead of having a bathroom the size of a phone booth you have a bathroom with enough room to stretch your arms all the way out. http://www.gradeless.com/avion/1988/1988.pdf
Haha, Ive had the wall side of the bed for almost 4 years now. I actually prefer to be cozy in the corner and when I wake up I can usually crawl over the legs to get out. The foot of the bed is also blocked off with a dresser. I like small tiny spaces, so I hope it will work for a 6 foot male and 5'11 me.

I love the idea of a cover for the stairs and a swivel chair for the driver!

That $3,500 seems like a good one! I talked with the man and he's sold over 200, drove them all home from 700 miles away. It supposedly has a 2015 engine! Maybe thats my bus!?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
What program is this for doing lay outs.
The program is Adobe Illustrator CC 2015. I have it since I do graphic design. Its pretty $$ but fun!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I was looking at this one too! They said it was a former school bus so maybe its not equipped for long mountainous rides, or maybe not. Should I be looking for a DT466?

Its a 1991 Blue Bird TC 2000 72 passenger. Completely refurbished since 2013 with new paint, engine, transmission, alternator, tires, radiator, and other new parts. 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel and Allison automatic transmission. 151,000 miles.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5826991114.html

I saw this one too. Same guy as my first post. 1998 International 3000 AmTran School Bus. 147,xxx Miles. Caterpillar Diesel.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5803976103.html
Old 10-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
It looks like none of the floorplans had access to that left side emergency door that's standard equipment rear engine buses anymore. You want to keep that and all other emergency exits accessible just in case, heaven forbid, something should happen and you need to beat a hasty exit.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I was looking at this one too! They said it was a former school bus so maybe its not equipped for long mountainous rides, or maybe not. Should I be looking for a DT466?

Its a 1991 Blue Bird TC 2000 72 passenger. Completely refurbished since 2013 with new paint, engine, transmission, alternator, tires, radiator, and other new parts. 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel and Allison automatic transmission. 151,000 miles.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5826991114.html

I saw this one too. Same guy as my first post. 1998 International 3000 AmTran School Bus. 147,xxx Miles. Caterpillar Diesel.

Guy seems to REALLY hype up his used buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
It looks like none of the floorplans had access to that left side emergency door that's standard equipment rear engine buses anymore. You want to keep that and all other emergency exits accessible just in case, heaven forbid, something should happen and you need to beat a hasty exit.
Same with the rear window exit as well. Besides, it's also a nice bit of ventilation in the back with a window screen

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

There's a thought.... not sure how putting a screen on it would be done but it's something to consider.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Thats a good point! Im not even sure what bus I'm getting yet, if it has an emergency door or not. Ill definitely keep that in consideration when doing the floor plans.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Guy seems to REALLY hype up his used buses.
Haha, yup. Do you think the 1991 Blue Bird TC 2000 would be adequate for mountain/cross country driving? https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5792301229.html

Or this one? Im ready to buy a bus!!

(I posted these ones before)
Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thats a good point! Im not even sure what bus I'm getting yet, if it has an emergency door or not. Ill definitely keep that in consideration when doing the floor plans.
It's been a long time since I've seen a bus that DIDN'T have at least one side door, some rear engine buses have two (not a lot, but there are a few out there).
Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
It's been a long time since I've seen a bus that DIDN'T have at least one side door, some rear engine buses have two (not a lot, but there are a few out there).
I have one on the left plus the rear window, and that seemed pretty standard at the ones I looked at.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #17
Skoolie

Great looking floorplans!

Small world, I am actually in Savannah right now for work.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Haha, yup. Do you think the 1991 Blue Bird TC 2000 would be adequate for mountain/cross country driving? https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5792301229.html

I would steer clear of the Cummins 5.9 for much long distance travel. It's *OK* for flatlands travel, but will struggle up long hills.

I would also steer clear of Cat engines - the older 3208 (V8 style) engines weren't one of Cat's best engines, and even the more modern and much improved engines aren't bad ... but they are more expensive to work on, and you can *ONLY* get parts from a Cat dealer. Which could be a really bad thing when you break down ... at 6:05 P.M. ... On a Friday Afternoon ... In the middle of nowhere ... on a long holiday weekend ... (In other words, you'll be stuck until the nearest Cat dealer re-opens the following business day).

I'm not far from Atlanta, if you'd like an experienced driver to help go over any prospective buses with you.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Essentially any bus conversion is designed around the toilet! The poo tank should be on the driver's side so its dump valve is somewhere just ahead of the left rear wheels - that's where most dump stations are set up for. For minimum flush water usage and simplest plumbing the loo should be directly above the poo tank, so the loo ends up being on the driver's side towards the rear. Once the loo's position is established, everything else just falls into place.

I'll have a queen-size bed with side access on both sides, and directly forward of it a floor-to-ceiling 25"-deep closet on either side - this will effectively extend the bedroom forward and make it feel much larger. Ahead of the closets is the bathroom on the port side and a nice big shower on the starboard side, ideal for two people who want to shower and pee at the same time! The kitchen is set up with the sink on the right side just next to the shower head to minimize hot water pipe lengths, and the water heater is directly below the sink. The left side of the kitchen will have my Splendide washer/dryer and the fridger (a chest freezer converted to run as a fridge), then everything forward is a big living room.

Oh yes, one more thing. Get highway gearing and the biggest engine possible, then you'll have a comfortable long-distance cruiser that can tackle serious mountain grades. Cummins 5.9 engines and AT545 transmissions won't get you over Tioga Pass! School trip and activity buses that are used to take teams to away games, along with all their baggage and equipment, usually make good conversion buses.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

not so much. I'd bet they're 444E's.
BUY this one-
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...=1&acctid=9245

SERIOUSLY! Buy it!

Quote:
1997 Blue Bird TC2000 BUS, 8.3L L6 DIESEL.
rear engine

lower storage compartments

Engine 8.3 liter Cummins

mileage 95,206

Starts and Runs

No Cracked Glass

Normal Wear on interior

Minor Scratches Dings and Dents

Decals will be covered
This is a perfect opportunity to pick up a really REALLY great bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlanta, floor plan, savannah