Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 623
Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Looking For ... Unicorn?

Need some advice - tell me if I'm looking for a unicorn....


Is there a shortie or "turtletop" bus with a powerful enough drivetrain to pull a fully-loaded two-horse trailer (about 5-6000lbs) at highway speeds? My wife is currently using an older Buick Enclave (but only one horse at a time). The Buick is acting up and we'd really like to transport 2 horses at a time.



If there isn't a shortie or "turtletop" that can do it, is there a bus more like Mullet's that can?


Thanks!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 3
Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
Chassis: TBD
Engine: TBD
Rated Cap: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Need some advice - tell me if I'm looking for a unicorn....


Is there a shortie or "turtletop" bus with a powerful enough drivetrain to pull a fully-loaded two-horse trailer (about 5-6000lbs) at highway speeds? My wife is currently using an older Buick Enclave (but only one horse at a time). The Buick is acting up and we'd really like to transport 2 horses at a time.



If there isn't a shortie or "turtletop" that can do it, is there a bus more like Mullet's that can?


Thanks!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...809041564.html
allupinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Whistler BC Canada
Posts: 8
Year: 1986
Coachwork: chev bluebird
Engine: v8
Rated Cap: 16 adults or 22 kids
shorty

I'd . think the techies on this site would know
diesel?

when i think about your request and if my shorty would do it i'm not sure
the hitch would need changing for sure as mine's rated for 6000 but if it was me i'd go higher.

motor wise mines gas. runs fine, new trani, pulls a trailer loaded with canoes not problem. (2500 pounds) but 6000 probably, i think your gas bill might be high

1986 Chevy 30 Blue Bird, 195,000 km (120 miles) gas 16/22 pax
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 2017-04-25 12.03.28 2018-01-26).jpg (309.6 KB, 20 views)
eric801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,037
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Need some advice - tell me if I'm looking for a unicorn....


Is there a shortie or "turtletop" bus with a powerful enough drivetrain to pull a fully-loaded two-horse trailer (about 5-6000lbs) at highway speeds? My wife is currently using an older Buick Enclave (but only one horse at a time). The Buick is acting up and we'd really like to transport 2 horses at a time.



If there isn't a shortie or "turtletop" that can do it, is there a bus more like Mullet's that can?


Thanks!
I have seen a number of DT-466 equipped 6 windows. A couple with 5 speed manuals.

I would think that a DT-466 equipped shorty with an MT-643, 2000 or a manual transmission would be a great tow rig.

May have to visit Christopher's magic computer though
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 498
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
6,000 lbs of horses is a lot. Shuttle bus (turtletop) do come with diesel engines.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,128
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the ford 6.0 and 7.3 E350 Vans (and busses) have the same drivetrains as their pickup truck counterparts.. other than the vans get a little different turbos.. from what i understand because of the space constraints in a van..



of course the 6.0 should be bulletproofed and a good trans cooler installed.. the 7.3 is pretty solid as is.. a big trans cooler is a must on these too..



I dont know how much those guys pulling car trailers with theier F350 Dualies are towing.. but has to be close to 6000 lbs with 2 cars on them?



of course starting out with a bus vs a truck or van adds a good bit of weight to your rig before you hitch up the trailer... tongue weight would be a concern with a bus body already on the rear axle

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 623
Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
6,000 lbs of horses is a lot. Shuttle bus (turtletop) do come with diesel engines.
I was factoring in the weight of the trailer as well. Heavy horses weigh in about 1500lbs, 2 @ 3000lbs, and another 1500lbs for aluminum trailer, or 3000lbs for a steel trailer (yup, pulled a steel trailer once, don't want to again). Therefore, 6000lbs is hopefully an unusual, worst-case scenario pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the ford 6.0 and 7.3 E350 Vans (and busses) have the same drivetrains as their pickup truck counterparts.. other than the vans get a little different turbos.. from what i understand because of the space constraints in a van..
I figured it was something like that, but having it confirmed is great. TY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
of course the 6.0 should be bulletproofed and a good trans cooler installed.. the 7.3 is pretty solid as is.. a big trans cooler is a must on these too..
Ok, 7.3 or larger if I can find it. BTW, what would that engine be called? T444? (I know about the DT466E and the Cummins 8.3/5.9....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I dont know how much those guys pulling car trailers with theier F350 Dualies are towing.. but has to be close to 6000 lbs with 2 cars on them?
Oh, gosh, not a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
of course starting out with a bus vs a truck or van adds a good bit of weight to your rig before you hitch up the trailer... tongue weight would be a concern with a bus body already on the rear axle

-Christopher
Hence why I'm wanting a shortie with the rear wheel already pretty far back. I don't want the horses hitting the roof when my wife or I go over a bump....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 623
Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have seen a number of DT-466 equipped 6 windows. A couple with 5 speed manuals.

I would think that a DT-466 equipped shorty with an MT-643, 2000 or a manual transmission would be a great tow rig.

May have to visit Christopher's magic computer though

Even though my daily driver car is a manual, I'm not sure I want a bus that's manual - at least not yet.


But the DT-466 6 window sounds just-about-right.


I'm betting that those go "like hotcakes" at the auctions....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,224
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Even though my daily driver car is a manual, I'm not sure I want a bus that's manual - at least not yet.


But the DT-466 6 window sounds just-about-right.


I'm betting that those go "like hotcakes" at the auctions....
I only buy a manual if possible when car shopping.
I loathe driving big stuff with a clutch, though. Missing about 40% of my left quadracep so YMMV.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 691
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the ford 6.0 and 7.3 E350 Vans (and busses) have the same drivetrains as their pickup truck counterparts.. other than the vans get a little different turbos.. from what i understand because of the space constraints in a van..



of course the 6.0 should be bulletproofed and a good trans cooler installed.. the 7.3 is pretty solid as is.. a big trans cooler is a must on these too..



I dont know how much those guys pulling car trailers with theier F350 Dualies are towing.. but has to be close to 6000 lbs with 2 cars on them?



of course starting out with a bus vs a truck or van adds a good bit of weight to your rig before you hitch up the trailer... tongue weight would be a concern with a bus body already on the rear axle

-Christopher
I gross at 26,000lbs with my dualie. Dodge with 5.9
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.