Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking to buy 40' bus

Hello everybody,

We just became members on this awesome site a few weeks ago, and I've learned so much already!

We are looking to buy a bus with a budget of about $6000, hopefully a little cheaper but we'll see.
Since we're a family of 4, and a dog, we were thinking about one with the most livable space.
I've heard good things about the Bluebird, but are open to anything. Engine, the 5.9 cummins, or the 8.3 (but seems to be getting harder to come by). But again, any engine will do, as long as it will take us out west (preferably without problems).
Also, a little rust and somewhat descent tires. A raised roof would be awesome, but maybe now I'm asking too much.
The year is of no concern to us (was told to even go with a mid 90's so as to avoid all the new electronics etc.). Again, have still so much to learn.

We are located in Cincinnati, Ohio so would be nice to be somewhere in a 5 to 10 hour range, but can be further if need be.
Ok, I think that about sums it up for now.
We are going to be living out of our future bus for a least 5 years, perhaps even much longer, time will tell.
Please let me know if you know of any one out there...

Thank you so much in advance!
Wim

WimMorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Try Midwest Transit. Lots of buses on inventory and not that far from you.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks CaptSquid!

I've been in touch with them over the phone, and yes, they even have several 40's for sale at a price around $6000 to $6500. But don't want to be in a rush and keep my options open. Would prefer buying from a someone on this forum or graigslist etc. instead of a dealer where it's always going to be more expensive.
The issue I have with the 3 to 4 different dealers I've spoken with so far is that they don't really check their engines too much. They pretty much just buy bus somewhere, and then just turn around and sell it again (for profit). You would expect that they do a thorough checkup and look for anything and everything, and then sell accordingly.

We'll see, a bus will show up that's meant to become ours...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Their buses, unless otherwise noted, are thoroughly checked. I bought my 2003 for $8K and drove it back to Montana from Kankakee. So far, no problems.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

At the dealer

That's great about your bus, but that's not what he told me (on the phone yesterday). Not sure when you bought your bus there, but maybe they changed their police, don't know.
When I asked him the question about checking the engine etc. he said I can either take it to a mechanic or pay extra for one of his people to take a serious look at it...
Of course, they all mention that if I were to buy a bus and drive it home and something happens that I'll either get my money back or trade for an other, which is great, but still...
We'll see, it'll all work out.
Thanks,
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
I dont know how old the post is but....
2005 International Yellow | Single Bus - BusesOnline - Buses for Sale | Used Buses | New Buses
Listed by owner. Cheap. Looks good. Already stripped down for insulation?
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Tyania,
Thanks for sharing! The price is definitely right, but is only a 55 seater and we're really looking for an 84. Looks good though...
Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

So take a day trip down to see them. It's worth the drive.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

I have a few buses for sale in Maryland. You can text me at 2405774086. Im trying to figure out how to post pics on here. For right now a text might be quicker.
mhunter1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

dealer

Yes, I do plan on taking a trip down there and check it out.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
THe best buses come from west of the Mason-Dixon line. Look at the AZ buses on Public Surplus!!! 8.3 Cummins air ride 40 footers!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

"West of the Mason/Dixon Line"? So far as I know, the line runs east/west so you can be north or south of it. It does have a western terminus; maybe you're referring to buses from WV or OH?

I looked it up, and it does have a north-south component! Who knew? So "west of the Mason/Dixon Line" means "anywhere but Delaware".
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
"West of the Mason/Dixon Line"? So far as I know, the line runs east/west so you can be north or south of it. It does have a western terminus; maybe you're referring to buses from WV or OH?

I looked it up, and it does have a north-south component! Who knew? So "west of the Mason/Dixon Line" means "anywhere but Delaware".
dang, I meant west of the mississippi. BUsy day!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: 1998
Engine: cummins 5.9 12 valve
I have a 40 ft bluebird with 5.9. Runs good. Clean title. I'm in Dallas area. It's currently inspected.. air brakes...it has 120,000 on the odo.. if you are interested let me know. Probably could get it for around 2500 if you come n get or around 4000 if I have to drive it to you.
Di75fj40 is offline   Reply With Quote