Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

looking to buy short bus conversion

hey y'all. new to the community here! my partner and i are looking around to find an already converted short bus, preferably diesel, with solar hooked up.

if anyone comes across something, let me know! we're on the east coast but willing to travel for the perfect new home.

any tips while looking for a bus? what should we be looking out for? thanks!!

mo

maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The first thing would be to see if the bus was initially stripped and insulated through the whole thing, if not, walk away. Look through the classifieds here. Most of the converted schools will be on Craigs List.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Almost There

Hi there,
I have been looking for a bus for a year off and on. I have done all the research and I even researched step vans. I could have bought a few short ones in CA.this past winter.
You have to be careful. You go and see it and find out it came from NH!
I chickened out. Single female.
Now I am back East, have less money and kicking my self. I got scared to take the plunge. I am looking again now seriously and in the wrong State(salt)! will look at auctions again.

what is hard is getting to the bus, check it out and to drive it home if you buy it. I have no one to go with me. Little public trans but I could get to the train in Albany.
I would have no problem flying someplace to drive it back but $$? and would have to hire someone to check it out in person.

Is there a bus fairy out there someplace?
Good luck
802trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802trees View Post
Hi there,
I have been looking for a bus for a year off and on. I have done all the research and I even researched step vans. I could have bought a few short ones in CA.this past winter.
You have to be careful. You go and see it and find out it came from NH!
I chickened out. Single female.
Now I am back East, have less money and kicking my self. I got scared to take the plunge. I am looking again now seriously and in the wrong State(salt)! will look at auctions again.

what is hard is getting to the bus, check it out and to drive it home if you buy it. I have no one to go with me. Little public trans but I could get to the train in Albany.
I would have no problem flying someplace to drive it back but $$? and would have to hire someone to check it out in person.

Is there a bus fairy out there someplace?
Good luck

so many friendly helpful people here on this site. stay active, keep looking, perhaps you will find the help you need to start living the skoolie dream!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
I'll part with my bus for $80k.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
Check out FloridaChurchBus.com in the Tampa area Greg will deliver the bus Of your dreams. I bought mine, a Ford /Thomas short wheelchair bus With a Cummins /Allison six years ago and have only had to repair a brake rotor and recharge the air in all that time. They can also strip out the seats, paint, and lots of other services Cheaper than you can get it done . I love mine and use it for daily transportation since iv'e ben in a wheelchair for 11 years. Greg has more in his brain than most on the subject of buses.
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy a bus, conversion, short bus