Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Looking to purchase - first one - partially converted, full

I am looking to purchase my very first bus to convert, finish converting or get in and go. Will be traveling around the US with two labs (my babies). I unfortunately don't have a HUGE budget for the actual purchase of the vehicle. Any leads, known buses for sale, I welcome tips, tricks, recommendations, etc. I am located in Massachusetts but willing to travel to pick up if bus can be driven back.

Thank you (If this is the wrong place for this post I apologize as I am new to this forum).

Denise
niserae@gmail.com

SweetD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Denise! Welcome. You re in the right place. There are many options and many opinions on where an how to get a bus.
The first thing to decide is on the type of bus - and then start looking into auctions.
I found some good deals on Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions - but ended up at a used Bus Depot. I paid a little more - but was able to test drive it.
Some have been posted on craigslist - not too sure the results of those - like with anything - you can get good deals in the oddest of places - and bad deals in the simple places.

But this is a place to ask - I have learned a lot just looking through the threads - and posting questions.

I am converting a 28 foot - 8 window bus to travel the country with my three dogs.

- Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
I am looking to purchase my very first bus to convert, finish converting or get in and go. Will be traveling around the US with two labs (my babies). I unfortunately don't have a HUGE budget for the actual purchase of the vehicle. Any leads, known buses for sale, I welcome tips, tricks, recommendations, etc. I am located in Massachusetts but willing to travel to pick up if bus can be driven back.

Thank you (If this is the wrong place for this post I apologize as I am new to this forum).

Denise
niserae@gmail.com
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:

Denise
niserae@gmail.com
Welcome. I am in Massachusetts too.
Westfield. When you find your bus, anything I can do, just ask.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Roger,

Thank you so much for the information. Looks like we have the same idea in mind - travel, simple living, fun, and with no better company then our fur babies

I will check out the info you provided and safe travels and good luck.

Thanks again for sharing!
-Denise
Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. Good old western, MA. I have friends who went to Westfield state (years ago, lol). I appreciate the reply and offer.. Good to know there are other people near by
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Your welcome. I am in the early stages myself. Had the bus since April. My build is all about a family camper that will allow us to bring our pets. I am tired of boarding them and worrying. I haven't found a place yet that can handle my pup, and my cat is the epitome of a house cat, she needs to be with people.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Roger, you mentioned that you ended up getting your bus at Bus Depot... Could you send me the link to that site? I found a bus depot but it looks like it sonly parts UNLESS I am not searching right (which is definitely possible).
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
The Bus Market was a good experience because I could browse - test drive and look at the bus - plus the guy fixed anything up that looked like it needed to be fixed.
TAMPA BUS MARKET INC - Home

The other local one is around here is not recommended - as many here may agree. I have not seen any bus there that was not at least $5,000 - $15,000 over priced...
http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com

They are both in central Florida area - I know there are others up North - I am just not sure where.

If I were to do it again - I would save up a little extra and take my chance at a Public Auction.

- Roger

Quote:
Roger, you mentioned that you ended up getting your bus at Bus Depot... Could you send me the link to that site? I found a bus depot but it looks like it sonly parts UNLESS I am not searching right (which is definitely possible).
Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

You sir are the best. Thank you so much I will take a look.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know if you are lookinfg for a dealer up north, there is Don brown bus sales in New york..

Don Brown Bus Sales, Inc - Home

they tend to be priced more reasonable than other dealers.. their site tends to be a bit outdated too so i would call and talk to them about what you are looking for..

of course up north you ru nthe risk of rust-buckets. so you'll want ot look carefully or have LOTS of pictures sent of any bus you are looking at.

and of course there are the auctions that are mentioned all over this board where many here have gotten their busses. (and the percentage rate is high of people who get good running / driving busses from auctions).
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Hi Denise,

I'm in the process of buying and after searching everywhere, I found the best option in my local district and a couple of prospect with a local company. I just have to wait until classes finish at the end of the month.

Call your school districts in the area. By law they are only able to use their buses for a limit of years (here in jersey is 15 years) and after that they sale it.
Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
Hi Denise!

Just posted our bus up on Skookie: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/19...tml#post208867

I am originally from NH and buying/converting a bus had always been a dream of mine. As you have probably found, many of the retired school buses from New England are rusty. That's one major reason we ultimately bought ours from a school district in Colorado.

I am so sad to let our bus go, but my partner and I went through a breakup. . .which is why we are selling her prematurely

We had two pups - a border collie and a husky. Built a "den" under the bed for my border collie, Chi, because he has never liked riding in moving vehicles of any sort.

Anyways, I will email you as well. Good luck on your search!
Plantresilience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I am having trouble finding the right contact #for the local companies that take the out of fleet buses. I have called all the school districts, they give a # to call and that person is little to no help or just gives me another number. I live south of Boston and good old MA in general is a headache nevermind trying to find people to give you the correct info,.

Tags
bus, buy, conversion, purchase, skoolie