Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

More questions about picking a bus...

So my bus search is still the two semi local busses (each about 1.5 hours from me). However I now actually have money to get either one! I do not know anyone that knows about diesel engines to have them come look at a bus with me. The more I talk to the person with the '60 bus with a 'new' engine the more like a salesman he begins to sound. It turns out the bus wasn't really his and he is selling it because he got it as a trade in for another vehicle. The 1980 international school bus seems like a better bet now. The person sems to really care about the bus since he converted it to both an rv and to run off of veggie oil himself. He told me he is in no hurry to sell it and would only sell it if I could promise to never sell it for scrap even if it meant taking less than scrap value when I was finished living in it. He says he starts it and drives it around his property or into town weekly but hasn't lived in it for a couple of years. I just wish I knew someone in Eastern OR that has knowledge of diesel and veggie oil to pay to look at the bus for me!

Any suggestions? I plan on looking at one of the busses this upcomming week. What should I be asking and what should I take pics of to post on here?
Thanks

DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: More questions about picking a bus...

if the guy is gonna sell it under scrap value to ya id be learning bout the diesels!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

if ya dont know anything about busses. esp diesel ones, don't buy a really old one.. buy something that runs very well and has relatively low mileage on the engine, that way, over the years while it is running good, you can learn about the mechanical aspects of it by interaction with other people, and you can also buy the service manuals and study them.
there are several good diesel busses in the idaho, wa,ore, north calif area. and you can get a 1990 or so newer diesel skoolie for around 3k. most wont have more than 200k miles, and most will have rebuilt trans, good tires and brakes... but not all so ya gotta check.
and if ya dont know anything about a proper wvo system, and the normal engine problems associated with it, you shouldnt get into that right off the bat.

just my 2 cents,

if u find one in northern willamette valley in ore, i would be happy to check it.
i certainly wouldnt want a bus that hadnt been driven for years - because one of the above newer good diesel ones would be far less work on the mechanical..
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

By good buses do you mean ones that have been coverted to live in? So I should consider both of the buses I'm considering too old?
I guess I will be waiting for WVO till i have a bus then I'll consider it. Willamette valley isn't too far from the area I have been looking in, so I guess I'll check out the Eugene area and see if there is anything I can afford.
Thanks
DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

what i mean by a 'good' bus, is one that is mechanically excellent.. so you wont have trouble with the expensive stuff...