Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need a space to park

We have a 2000 Thomas flat nose and haven't been able to secure parking to start the conversion. Does anyone know of some where or someone in the DC, MD or VA area?

MarqnDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

A placed has been secured
Old 04-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Good to hear! What did you end up with, and how far is it from where you live?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

Good job getting something so quick!

For anyone else with the same problem, I posted on Craigslist that I was looking for somewhere to store/work on my bus and got quite a few replies. Ended up paying 40/month to keep it parked in a secure space behind a business.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

We thought we secured a place to park on a friend's inlaws property but when the time came they bailed out. Then I posted several ads on Craigslist. We got a few resposes lol one being as high as $1400 a month to park then they tried $1000. Not trying to pay a mortgage. I took a chance on reaching out to a few different parking lots with the big dump trucks and one came through at $80 a week.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqnDee1 View Post
We thought we secured a place to park on a friend's inlaws property but when the time came they bailed out. Then I posted several ads on Craigslist. We got a few resposes lol one being as high as $1400 a month to park then they tried $1000. Not trying to pay a mortgage. I took a chance on reaching out to a few different parking lots with the big dump trucks and one came through at $80 a week.
a week?
where the hell do you live?
$320 a month to store it is a ripoff, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

That's Northern Virginia for you. If you know of anywhere cheaper were open.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqnDee1 View Post
That's Northern Virginia for you. If you know of anywhere cheaper were open.
IDK, but I'd just sell it as opposed to paying nearly 4 grand a year to store it. Maybe buy some land and try again. Just MY thoughts on it... Not trying to discourage you but the money you're paying is sick. You could probably buy some crappy land outside town and pay less per month to finance that land.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDK, but I'd just sell it as opposed to paying nearly 4 grand a year to store it. Maybe buy some land and try again. Just MY thoughts on it... Not trying to discourage you but the money you're paying is sick. You could probably buy some crappy land outside town and pay less per month to finance that land.
You don't know DC. Land anywhere around here (within a 2 hr commute) that isn't a Superfund site is $125K/ac. That's One Hundred Twenty Five Thousand Dollars An Acre. If it is a Superfund site, it's only $80K/acre. You own some of that, what are you gonna tell some schmuck with a bus?

That price is not too bad. Consider that the OP could only be there 6 months if he hustles with the conversion. I've been checking the few RV storage sites closer than Frederick or Fredericksburg and they are in that range with "No work on it" policies. One even had a "No converted buses" rule. To store it. for $400/mo.

That's one of the many reasons that my motto is "Get me the f**k outta here!" even if I am a native son.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I'd convert it somewhere else then. Seems like if I lived in that area I'd just get out yesterday and be done. Didn't realize folks were so used to that sort of thing.
My "lot rent" is I smoke a doob with my friend whos land I'm using.

I'm buying a lil quarter acre lot to build buses on here in FL. The whole property will set me back $4500 cash. Maybe you could find something like that.
Sorry you're stuck in that odd, expensive parallel universe!!

Hit up SuperDave. He's in VA and may know of somewhere you could do this and save thousands.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Our bus is now parked on a Rv etc park and storage lot for $200 a month. So that's better and they don't mind us working inside of the bus, now the project can begin.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd convert it somewhere else then. Seems like if I lived in that area I'd just get out yesterday and be done. Didn't realize folks were so used to that sort of thing.
My "lot rent" is I smoke a doob with my friend whos land I'm using.

I'm buying a lil quarter acre lot to build buses on here in FL. The whole property will set me back $4500 cash. Maybe you could find something like that.
Sorry you're stuck in that odd, expensive parallel universe!!

Hit up SuperDave. He's in VA and may know of somewhere you could do this and save thousands.
I'm 6 or 7 hours from him in the boonies.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Here in MA, storage would be about $150-200 per month within a reasonable driving distance of me.

There might be some cheaper deals if I headed towards the Western end of the state, but it would add time/money to get to any future projects.

There just isn't that much plain, open, empty land in this area. I could either afford to buy and do the conversion, OR park it. . .but not both.
(So I'm waiting to buy/start my project.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote