Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 493
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
need opinion on a bus

So, randomly stumbled across a bus today, caught my interest, and im definitely considering it to purchase, once ive heard back about some details on it. ive seen others post not to directly link a bus you want so others dont get it, so is there anyone who is not looking to buy a bus who i can send the link to get an opinion based of the pictures and limited info given? i dont know much about busses, so id love the opinion of someone who knows more.

its early 90s bluebird. also, is there a way to check actual mileage on these things because the odometer reading is incorrect
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
So, randomly stumbled across a bus today, caught my interest, and im definitely considering it to purchase, once ive heard back about some details on it. ive seen others post not to directly link a bus you want so others dont get it, so is there anyone who is not looking to buy a bus who i can send the link to get an opinion based of the pictures and limited info given? i dont know much about busses, so id love the opinion of someone who knows more.

its early 90s bluebird. also, is there a way to check actual mileage on these things because the odometer reading is incorrect
Tell us about the engine/trans combo. I doubt there is a engine computer to verify odometer, maybe maint records? When unsure of milage, I look at the wear items- brake pedal, drivers seat, dash wear.

Good luck in your hunt !!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,237
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If you don't have an accurate odometer, ask for maintenance records. THey will have the mileage and date of each service.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 493
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
its a 91 bluebird, 7.3L, automatic, air brakes. about all the info i got, vin wasnt listed. waiting for e-mail reply with vin and condition of several things, or ill call them tomorrow when i get a chance between jobs or on lunch. limited pics, only close ups are on a couple tires so hard to tell about overall condition from pics for me. looks in alright shape, no dmg i can see, straight body, little dirty but nothing a pressure washer and paint couldnt fix

only way odometer is correct is if that 7.3 can roll over 1mil miles
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 1,252
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MPV-EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
its a 91 bluebird, 7.3L, automatic, air brakes. about all the info i got, vin wasnt listed. waiting for e-mail reply with vin and condition of several things, or ill call them tomorrow when i get a chance between jobs or on lunch. limited pics, only close ups are on a couple tires so hard to tell about overall condition from pics for me. looks in alright shape, no dmg i can see, straight body, little dirty but nothing a pressure washer and paint couldnt fix

only way odometer is correct is if that 7.3 can roll over 1mil miles
Not unusual for these diesel motors to go a million miles.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 13,308
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not unusual for these diesel motors to go a million miles.
Pretty unusual for any school bus to roll over a half million these days, let alone a million.
MAYBE some Crown with real class 8 gear might go a million, but regular school buses are pretty much pooped by 350k or so.
A million mile 7.3 in a school bus? I highly doubt it unless its had a couple engines.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,231
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Pretty unusual for any school bus to roll over a half million these days, let alone a million.
MAYBE some Crown with real class 8 gear might go a million, but regular school buses are pretty much pooped by 350k or so.
A million mile 7.3 in a school bus? I highly doubt it unless its had a couple engines.
This ^^^

The engines can go starship mileages, but not in a school bus.

The medium truck engines that go long distances are fitted in medium-duty trucks. They fire them up in the morning, and they get nice and warm, and run like that, all day.

School bus use is considered "severe-duty" and reduces the B50 figure quite a bit.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8,924
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
91 with a 7.3 IDI.. definitely not going to be a fast moving bus
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 1,252
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MPV-EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Pretty unusual for any school bus to roll over a half million these days, let alone a million.
MAYBE some Crown with real class 8 gear might go a million, but regular school buses are pretty much pooped by 350k or so.
A million mile 7.3 in a school bus? I highly doubt it unless its had a couple engines.
My buddy is a diesel mechanic and rebuilds these all the time. Yes, a million miles without a rebuild is unusual, but with proper maintenance, and a rebuild when necessary, diesel engines will last that long.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 493
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Got reply with pic of vin, found out good info on running condition / ok info about tires (about half meat left on em). Gonna do a bit of research and follow up again about service records and other stuff I think of
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.