Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Need opinons on this bus

After seeing many busses come and go online, I think I found the one for me. But it might be too rusty, I need a devil's advocate. On a side note, I recently can across a product called "Rust Converter" it chemically changes the rust to an inert coating that will protect from further rust. This would help for 99% of the bus but some of it would be another cost/ time intensive story...

Info on the bus:

http://Bus rust, is this worth $2900.../gallery/ifloZ

2001 Chevy Bluebird. 145,000 miles, Chevy 366 Big block with a 5 speed manual tranny unknown make, hydraulic brakes, 56 passengers, tires still have a lot of tread left.

According to the seller, the steering is tight and good. Engine and brakes are in good working order as well. You can't see it in the photos but the outside/paint job of this bus looks very good. All the rust seems to come from the road salt used in the winters. (its located in Iowa)

The seller asked for $2900 but it didn't sell on Ebay and he never relisted, I think I can talk him down to $2700. (I am talking to him outside Ebay, he's sent pics and has been pretty helpful!)

unbentcrayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Couldn't open the link so I googled "bus rust, is it worth $2900" and found multiple pics on Imgur and discussion on Reddit, is that you?
Looks like surface rust on the frame work, nothing to worry about. Use a spray converter. I do see other things that would make me run. Is that 366 a gas motor, if so, your gas mileage will really suck. Shocks look way past their life. If those 2 things were not an issue, I would still not pay $2900
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Thanks for getting back to me!

I talked the guy down to $2700 and I was thinking the suspension system needed work as Well. As for the gas engine, I planning on staying put in a few places each year, so I'm not too concerned about the mpg. I've read that if you don't drive the bus a lot gas busses are cheaper to repair and maintain over diesel, any thoughts on this? I'm planning on driving out to look at it on April 2nd. Still have to remind myself every day its okay to walk away from this one...
Old 03-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #4

Seems like my link is broken, here is it again!http://Bus rust, is this worth $2900.../gallery/ifloZ
Old 03-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
I think you can find a bus that looks better for less. I picked up mine from govdeals for 2k, and it looks waaay better than that one as far as the rust is concerned. Or at least a better bus for that price

Tags
366 engine, bluebird, chevy, rust