Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can write a contract, legalzoom is a great place to get things as such for a relatively low cost..

now, if he uses a title loan place then the gist of the deal is that you should receive a good check from them so you are 100% paid off ands the contract is between the buyer and his loan provider,,

if you become the provider by allowing him to pay you over time, you want to make sure you are just a lien-holder and not the owner.. re-read as you want no liability for what may happen to him or the bus after the transaction..

you'll have to check in that state how the vehicle can be titled in his name and youy listed as a lien-holder.. he receives a memo title to tag / insure the bus ands you arent laible if he runs over someone..
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #42
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you can write a contract, legalzoom is a great place to get things as such for a relatively low cost..

now, if he uses a title loan place then the gist of the deal is that you should receive a good check from them so you are 100% paid off ands the contract is between the buyer and his loan provider,,

if you become the provider by allowing him to pay you over time, you want to make sure you are just a lien-holder and not the owner.. re-read as you want no liability for what may happen to him or the bus after the transaction..

you'll have to check in that state how the vehicle can be titled in his name and youy listed as a lien-holder.. he receives a memo title to tag / insure the bus ands you arent laible if he runs over someone..
-Christopher
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate your help. The seemingly serious offer said if I am set on $2500, he will find a way to pay me over time. I just received a phone call offering $2000 cash from another guy and he did everything he could to discredit and seed doubt about the pay over time plan. "Do you really think he will pay you anything? He is probably going to take it to the woods to sleep in and you will never hear from him again."

Does anyone have any suggestions on the risk I am taking? Is $500 worth the uncertainty/hassle? If I went with the first guy, I probably wouldn't receive anything until well after he got it fixed.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
Is $500 worth the uncertainty/hassle?
I really feel for the position you're in......I don't think I could have kept my composure and optimism as well as you have.

Money talks. I'd take the $2k. Is $500 worth the worry and angst you'll feel over the next x number of months, or years, it takes guy #1 to pay you back?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'd take the $2k and run. You already admit the first guys deal will be a hassle and you probably won't get all your money once he sees how much he is going to have to put in it. Contract is not worth the paper it's written on. If he defaults on this small amount your options are to sue him or eat the loss and get on. If you win a judgment against him you get another piece of paper that says he still owes you money. Ever try to collect on a small claims judgment?

Bird in the hand..........

Tell the new guy that if he came up with $2200 you not feel as bad blowing the other guy off.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #45
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
I really feel for the position you're in......I don't think I could have kept my composure and optimism as well as you have.

Money talks. I'd take the $2k. Is $500 worth the worry and angst you'll feel over the next x number of months, or years, it takes guy #1 to pay you back?

I hide it very well... This has been the most stressful month and a half I've ever had. I have probably lost a few years off my life due to it. I'm trying not to let it bug me too much and just put my head down and power through it.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #46
Skoolie

What would be the best solution to transfer the money? He stated he has cash and will go look at it first thing in the morning. For some reason he didn't catch I lived in PA, so meeting is not an option. I guess my options are mailed check, bank wire transfer, or Western Union/Moneygrab.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if the phone is ringing alot with offers then put the 2k guy at bay.. but for **ME** unless the first guy is getting a financial loan where you get a check and he pays someone else over tijme.. then id take the 2K and run...

ive been screwed by so many people who "I Just need a couple months to pay".. or "can I sleep in your apare room for a month or two?".. yeah ..

you would either
1. sign the title over and the guy may or may not pay you.. I do have to say im questioning why a guy with no money and no parts would buy a bus with a broken expensive transmission...

2. keep the title.. and then what? if the guy didnt pay.. you then have to tow the likely still-broken bus off someone's property who threatens to sue..

I really do like to think the best of people.. but on deals like this things seem mis-aligned..

take the 2K sign the title over with an agreement of somne sorts that he tows it off the lot of said mechanic where its at.. you dont want that guy coming back on you in any way..

and of course the other option is if you have any interest in rebuulding the bus you keep it and find a cheap storage lot to stash it away for some months while you get a plan together to get it fixed..

christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #48
Skoolie

The second guy that offered cash said "Ok" to $2200. Now he will not answer my texts/calls. God I love people.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Get the money wired by Western Union, then no problem and quick.
He'll need your contact info, address etc to send.

Glad you got something out of that. If anything you have the "bus" bug now....

Chin up,

John
Old 08-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
The second guy that offered cash said "Ok" to $2200. Now he will not answer my texts/calls. God I love people.
Leave him a message that says if he doesn't contact you tonight you will let the other guy have it. If he doesn't call, move on.

This again is a peeve of mine. Why would you try and negotiate a price on something you haven't even seen or inspected. Are you going to try and negotiate me down for the lower phone negotiated price when you get here and see it's not what you thought. Now I'm dealing at a disadvantage because I've already lowered it. The people who want to negotiate a price on the phone I tell them I will accept their offer if they Paypal me the money now, and then you can pick up your bus at your convenience, no refund. If not, show up, inspect it, bring a wad of cash and we'll talk.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #51
Skoolie

Both prospects either backed out or are ignoring me. I have one more person interested and if that falls through, I think it's scrap time. If everything goes to plan for the scrapping route, I would get roughly $1500 best case scenario.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Sorry for your troubles. NEWBIES take note.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #53
Bus Geek

When/if you scrap it, are the tires good, pull them and resell them for $1500+. Understorage boxes on mine can be unbolted. Drain the fuel into another diesel vehicle. Recoup all you can resell before scrapping it.
I still believe I can make much more on the sale of my 87 scrapping it than selling. But when you figure in the labor it doesn't motivate me a whole lot.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sorry for your troubles. NEWBIES take note.
I hope my hellish experience offers a lesson to others. I am not sure if it was malice or plain stupidity, but the previous owner never stated the words, "The retarder doesn't work." I specifically asked him over 4 times throughout our 6 conversations if anything did not work or was not in operation to the point of being annoying. I even called him after the purchase and asked if I needed to know anything before driving it. I know if a mechanic told me to keep a certain switch off while driving, I would pass that knowledge along to the next owner. Not hearing these four words has cost me thousands of dollars I don't have and an enormous amount of time and hassle. I will not let a sorry excuse for a human being like this get me down or ruin my end-goal. I will have a bus, but I will just have to wait until I recover.

The bus is headed to the scrapyard tomorrow. I believe they are interested in the metal and engine/controller. I would have to ask them about the tires. I do know that I can have either the scrappers or a local skoolie remove the PLC/modules, a few random parts, and some seats to make roughly $1500. There is a fellow skoolie interested in these parts and I made sure the scrappers will save them. We would need a local to help us pick these parts up and ship them. I may be able to find buyers for the rest of the seats and possibly the tires. I have a cooler, I think 5qts of 15w40 oil, and biocide/injector cleaner all brand new sitting in the bus for anyone interested in helping. Be on the lookout for anyone possibly interested in seats/tires/wheels.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I hope my hellish experience offers a lesson to others. I am not sure if it was malice or plain stupidity, but the previous owner never stated the words, "The retarder doesn't work." I specifically asked him over 4 times throughout our 6 conversations if anything did not work or was not in operation to the point of being annoying. I even called him after the purchase and asked if I needed to know anything before driving it. I know if a mechanic told me to keep a certain switch off while driving, I would pass that knowledge along to the next owner. Not hearing these four words has cost me thousands of dollars I don't have and an enormous amount of time and hassle. I will not let a sorry excuse for a human being like this get me down or ruin my end-goal. I will have a bus, but I will just have to wait until I recover.

The bus is headed to the scrapyard tomorrow. I believe they are interested in the metal and engine/controller. I would have to ask them about the tires. I do know that I can have either the scrappers or a local skoolie remove the PLC/modules, a few random parts, and some seats to make roughly $1500. There is a fellow skoolie interested in these parts and I made sure the scrappers will save them. We would need a local to help us pick these parts up and ship them. I may be able to find buyers for the rest of the seats and possibly the tires. I have a cooler, I think 5qts of 15w40 oil, and biocide/injector cleaner all brand new sitting in the bus for anyone interested in helping. Be on the lookout for anyone possibly interested in seats/tires/wheels.
The engine is worth a good bit.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #56
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The engine is worth a good bit.
They want the engine/scrap metal to cover their tow and labor bill. I did let them know I have a buyer for the engine, but no response yet.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #57
Skoolie

I had everything set up for the scrappers to pick up today. I then received a text about the ad after midnight last night. I worked with him for a little last night and most of today. He seemed pretty serious and took pictures of cash/receipts for sending via Western Union. He said they flagged it as fraud and didn't allow the transaction. This spooked him and he looked up a website called safefunds.com. We have an open transaction on this site. They hold his funds, I send the title, and then they release to my account. He will send the funds to the site tomorrow morning and also have the bus towed to TEC Equipment. It will stay there until he gets a transmission for them to fix it.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #58
Skoolie

He had it towed to TEC Equipment and they are saying it is an Allison transmission again. They do not have the equipment for working on Allisons. Freightliner NW said the same thing until an actual Allison dealer asked them questions about it. They must have found the serial on it and determined it was a ZF. I contacted Pacific Torque again and their response was, "We are both an Allison dealer and ZF distributor. You have a ZF transmission in your coach." I really hope this guy didn't waste a tow like I did.

When I bought this, they sent the title to PA for me. I haven't signed it and the only information of mine is my name printed on it under "Reassignment by dealer." Before I send this to the buyer, should I sign it or leave it blank? I hope he doesn't try to back out and stick me with the tow bill because of this confusion about the transmission. Since I haven't signed the title, does that mean I don't have to worry about him leaving it registered under my name?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #59
Skoolie

Quote:
He had it towed to TEC Equipment and they are saying it is an Allison transmission again. They do not have the equipment for working on Allisons. Freightliner NW said the same thing until an actual Allison dealer asked them questions about it. They must have found the serial on it and determined it was a ZF. I contacted Pacific Torque again and their response was, "We are both an Allison dealer and ZF distributor. You have a ZF transmission in your coach." I really hope this guy didn't waste a tow like I did.

I made a few calls and sorted it out for him. They made the same mistake the first shop made. An inexperienced mechanic went out and said thats a hydromatic Allison for sure. It took Bill going out and double checking to sort it out. It is in fact a ZF. The Ecomats look very similar to Allison hydromatics I guess.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Even if they look similar...I gotta wonder about a the qualifications of a tech that can't tell the difference.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote