Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #301
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
What's the verdict on Chinese tires? Not worth messing with or...
I'll be buying a set when my conversion is "done".
For how many miles most folks will be putting on a school bus conversion, these tires will be out of date before they're close to being worn out.
Name brand tires get REALLY pricey.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #302
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, I'm not totally used to the idea of tires expiring. Apparently they don't make them like the used to make them.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #303
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not totally used to the idea of tires expiring. Apparently they don't make them like the used to make them.
Its nothing like that... its just sorta common knowledge that heavy commercial tires should be changed after 8-10 years. They will likely live long after that but why risk it?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #304
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
What's the verdict on Chinese tires? Not worth messing with or...
KHUMO tires FTW!!!!![emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #305
Bus Nut

Quote:
1970 MCI 40' pusher project - $3500

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/rvs/5537347159.html

I don't know why they would want to cover good metal with fiberglass ends. Needs work, but that's a pretty respectable price. Reported to need tires.

Looks like a possible good deal if the engine and drive train are in good shape as they mention.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #306
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its nothing like that... its just sorta common knowledge that heavy commercial tires should be changed after 8-10 years. They will likely live long after that but why risk it?
Are there any ways to reduce the dry rotting of the tires that is the common complaint after 7 or 8 years? Will tire covers and conditioners help? Nitrogen fill instead of air to reduce the amount of moisture inside the tire?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #307
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
whats the best way to spot dry-rotting or expired tires?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #308
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
whats the best way to spot dry-rotting or expired tires?
-Christopher
Check em and look for dry rot, check the date code.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #309
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Are there any ways to reduce the dry rotting of the tires that is the common complaint after 7 or 8 years? Will tire covers and conditioners help? Nitrogen fill instead of air to reduce the amount of moisture inside the tire?
I don't think its just the dry rotting factor.

Search around for tire threads or ask Cowlitz, he knows about this stuff a lot more than the rest of us.
I myself am fine with using tires past their date, but not by an extra decade or anything.
Just saying that $1500 or so for tires every 8-10 years isn't the end of the world, but a blowout could be.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #310
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
How to read tire codes...

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #311
Bus Geek

Haven't you seen old tires with cracks in them? That's pretty rotten but I've even driven on heavily cracked tires and didn't have any trouble. I don't recommend it, but they usually will hold up.
I figure I'll keep using this set of tires just like all my other tires. If I'm thinking about replacing the tires, when I have that first flat is when I usually get a whole new set. Not for the oddball puncture.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #312
Bus Geek

Quote:
Haven't you seen old tires with cracks in them? That's pretty rotten but I've even driven on heavily cracked tires and didn't have any trouble. I don't recommend it, but they usually will hold up.
I figure I'll keep using this set of tires just like all my other tires. If I'm thinking about replacing the tires, when I have that first flat is when I usually get a whole new set. Not for the oddball puncture.
IDK if that's a very good approach. When you're driving something as large as a bus, it becomes much more crucial. You don't wanna wait for that first flat, man. If not for your own safety, for the safety of other motorists.
Things like this are why its so hard to find insurance.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #313
Bus Geek

Oh really? I'm the guy with the brand new set of Toyo's on my bus. I'll probably never wear them out, but I'm not going to replace them in 8 or 10 years bust because the tire guys recommend it. Yes, this is a heavy vehicle. Buying top quality tires was the first thing I did after purchasing my bus. So, I appreciate the insinuation that I'm the reason buses are so hard to insure. I'm guessing my tires are newer than your tires.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #314
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh really? I'm the guy with the brand new set of Toyo's on my bus. I'll probably never wear them out, but I'm not going to replace them in 8 or 10 years bust because the tire guys recommend it. Yes, this is a heavy vehicle. Buying top quality tires was the first thing I did after purchasing my bus. So, I appreciate the insinuation that I'm the reason buses are so hard to insure. I'm guessing my tires are newer than your tires.
I said that waiting for a flat to change bus tires is irresponsible. I was being polite, at least I thought so.
WHat sort of response do you expect with that kind of statement?
I'm not here to be mean or make enemies or any of that.
I'm not insinuating anything. Stating a fact. No reason to turn it into a peeing contest.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #315
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Nitrogen fill instead of air to reduce the amount of moisture inside the tire?
What is the verdict on filling your tires with nitrogen? Whether it be bus or car tires. Is it a gimick or is there real value in doing so? Any cons in doing it?
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #316
Bus Geek

This isn't a contest of any sort. We don't use our buses in the same manner and our builds aren't even similar. It's pretty silly to assume that everyone needs to do as you do, because otherwise anyone is a part of the insurance problem. My system works pretty well.

"Things like this are why its so hard to find insurance" is an insinuation or accusation. Replace your tires any time you like, but what I do does not affect insurance availability for anyone and it's not your place to insinuate that my methods are the reason for insurance problems.

I'm pretty sure I'll still be driving on these same tires in 10 or even 15 years, if not longer. When they need to be changed, by becoming unsafe, I'll change them. Also I'll give you advance warning before I enter Florida so you don't have to pass my dangerous bus.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #317
Bus Geek

Quote:
This isn't a contest of any sort. We don't use our buses in the same manner and our builds aren't even similar. It's pretty silly to assume that everyone needs to do as you do, because otherwise anyone is a part of the insurance problem. My system works pretty well.

"Things like this are why its so hard to find insurance" is an insinuation or accusation. Replace your tires any time you like, but what I do does not affect insurance availability for anyone and it's not your place to insinuate that my methods are the reason for insurance problems.

I'm pretty sure I'll still be driving on these same tires in 10 or even 15 years, if not longer. When they need to be changed, by becoming unsafe, I'll change them. Also I'll give you advance warning before I enter Florida so you don't have to pass my dangerous bus.
Please, take this to PM's as its rude of us to bicker and derail an otherwise pleasant thread. Peace, bruv.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #318
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
great info!! is there a code placed into Re-caps so you know thats what they are or are there other identifying factors that label re-caps?

-Christopher
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #319
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
What is the verdict on filling your tires with nitrogen? Whether it be bus or car tires. Is it a gimick or is there real value in doing so? Any cons in doing it?
the only reason I use nitrogen in my cars is the fact it doesnt change pressures hardly at all with temperature.. so unless I get a leak my pressures pretty much stay the same..

living in ohio means that times like we are having now.. its been 46 at night and then sunny and 83 in the daytime.. I would always have arge swingsi n tire pressures..

im not sure if there are any other benefits to nitrogen over air?

-Christopher
Old 04-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #320
Bus Geek

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to bicker. I've wanted to meet you for a long time if I ever get that far from home. I think you're assuming that I'd have a flat while flying down the interstate on old tires, while in actuality my flats usually come high up in the mountains on logging roads at relatively low speeds. We don't all make our builds the same or even use out buses the same.
Maybe you can teach me something I don't know. This is where we find that out. I'm not a tire guy and that's why I go to visit Mr Schwab. Considering my driving record I am not affecting anyone's ability to get insurance.
I know you're talking about replacing tires in ten years. I don't know what my tires will look like in ten years. If they show any signs of weakness I may replace them, especially if I'm actually going to be putting on some road miles. If I only continue using this as a fishing bus at high mountain lakes I may have the same tires for a very long time. Probably longer than I'll last.

Sorry if you're getting upset. I thought this was discussion.