Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #2321
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
As much as I' like more power, I'm thinking that 5.9 probably keeps me out of trouble being stock. I'm getting more used to being the slow guy on the freeway, but that's not new about buses.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #2322
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 850
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Buses for sale in Florida

https://floridasurplusauctions.hibid...entee-bidding/
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #2323
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,494
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Nothing I'd want in there, but it will be fun to watch what they sell for.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #2324
Bus Nut
 
tobeamiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 736
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Not a skoolie, but would make a nice conversion...

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...784&acctID=848


It's about 15 minutes away from me. If anybody's considering bidding on it, I can go check it out if you'd like me to.
I'd love to have that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
__________________
oh yes she did!
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/to...-it-16557.html
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #2325
Bus Crazy
 
david.dgeorge07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,404
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Does anyone know anything about these busses? What are their pros and cons? What are they likely to sell for? My employer has a sprinter van with the same nose and drivetrain and it's really nice. I'm guessing that these are not cheap. Do they make good conversions otherwise?
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2326
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,863
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
As much as I' like more power, I'm thinking that 5.9 probably keeps me out of trouble being stock. I'm getting more used to being the slow guy on the freeway, but that's not new about buses.
the guys with the dodge pickups are getting 450+ horsepower out of 5.9s...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #2327
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,494
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Does anyone know anything about these busses? What are their pros and cons? What are they likely to sell for? My employer has a sprinter van with the same nose and drivetrain and it's really nice. I'm guessing that these are not cheap. Do they make good conversions otherwise?
I'd RUN away, even if they weren't from FL.
Seriously, our buses in FL are crap. They're run into the ground, unless they're so problematic that they sell em early, like these Benzes.
Fl and Ga have to be the two worst states for buying a bus.
They're likely to sell for at least twice what they'd go for elsewhere due to our bus exporting market.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #2328
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,936
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the guys with the dodge pickups are getting 450+ horsepower out of 5.9s...
-Christopher
450HP???

Damn! Mine only makes 425HP......

But...I would never want this motor in a 25k lb bus.

It is great fun and with proper care it will likely last 200-300k miles in a 6k lb pickup that occasionally pulls a big trailer. However, when I gross 24k lbs I turn the power down to keep EGT's within reason.

There really is a reason why the 5.9's in buses and medium duty trucks are set up very conservatively. Reliability & longevity.

IMHO: If you want horsepower and reliability then the best answer is more displacement.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #2329
Bus Nut
 
oricha1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 896
Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
little shorties. i would bid on them if i knew they were in good mechanical condition and not cross country

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...16&acctid=7296

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...17&acctid=7296
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7296_17_1.jpg (99.5 KB, 9 views)
__________________
the more i learn, the less I know what to buy . . .
oricha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #2330
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,863
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
450HP???

Damn! Mine only makes 425HP......

But...I would never want this motor in a 25k lb bus.

It is great fun and with proper care it will likely last 200-300k miles in a 6k lb pickup that occasionally pulls a big trailer. However, when I gross 24k lbs I turn the power down to keep EGT's within reason.

There really is a reason why the 5.9's in buses and medium duty trucks are set up very conservatively. Reliability & longevity.

IMHO: If you want horsepower and reliability then the best answer is more displacement.
I understand that, im justr saying for those that seem to be all intent about turning up the screws and such on their busses that the smaller engines can be built to put it out.. and all the more most people drive these busses on average it would likely last as long as they want..
BUT
as in every category horsepower costs money..

I myself am in a bit of a different category because I'll build, mod, update, etc because its part of the fun for me... and if i blow something up I use it as a time to Upgrade.. but I realize that is not the attitude nor the abilities / means of many here... nevertheless im memntioning it because more power can be had..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.