Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I understand that, im justr saying for those that seem to be all intent about turning up the screws and such on their busses that the smaller engines can be built to put it out.. and all the more most people drive these busses on average it would likely last as long as they want..
BUT
as in every category horsepower costs money..

I myself am in a bit of a different category because I'll build, mod, update, etc because its part of the fun for me... and if i blow something up I use it as a time to Upgrade.. but I realize that is not the attitude nor the abilities / means of many here... nevertheless im memntioning it because more power can be had..
-Christopher
I don't see the benefit of turning up my 5.9
It's governed at 70. It gets there as fast as I want it to already.
But if I had the time/resources I might turn it up for fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #2332
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You can do some amazing things with the Cummins B series engines but there is a big difference between "horsepower"...and "reliable horsepower". Turning them up a bit can yield substantial benefits if you are consistently running heavy or spend a lot of time in the mountains. Just don't go crazy.

450 from a 6BT? Heck, I've seen well over 800 from a 4BT. Nuts? Uh...ya.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #2333
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Not wanting to go crazy with horsepower, but for entering the freeway or other situations where power is briefly needed. Would that mess things up to put in a set of the marine injectors?

So far I haven't moved the fuel plate or messed with the smoke wheel in the pump. I'm not pulling hills very well on the highway. I'm fine in the mountains because I can go slow. On the highway it's rare for me to get up to 70 mph, needing both a tailwind and a hill. I think it's safe to assume this bus spent its life at low speeds judging by the way it was gummed up. Fuel additive made a major difference within the first half hour of adding it.

I'm not looking for power so I can go faster. Just for those hills.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #2334
Bus Geek

What I'm seeing with this power issue is a number of differing hp ratings all on the same engine. This 5.9 seems to be rated from 180 hp to 250 hp in some of the longer buses with the 5.9. The marine injectors are apparently rated at 300 hp.

I'm not a fast driver, but these mountains I live in make me go embarrassingly slow. I'm just looking for something that will help me keep up with traffic better.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #2335
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
What I'm seeing with this power issue is a number of differing hp ratings all on the same engine. This 5.9 seems to be rated from 180 hp to 250 hp in some of the longer buses with the 5.9. The marine injectors are apparently rated at 300 hp.

I'm not a fast driver, but these mountains I live in make me go embarrassingly slow. I'm just looking for something that will help me keep up with traffic better.
The 5.9 I have is 260hp and 440(I think) torque at 2300 rpm.
I didn't have an issue with hills (small mountains here in Western Massachusetts at 60) or with acceleration (faster than any of the tractor trailers)
All in all it impressed me. It drives well around town and handled an 800 mile drive well without ever getting hot.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #2336
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
The 5.9 I have is 260hp and 440(I think) torque at 2300 rpm.
I didn't have an issue with hills (small mountains here in Western Massachusetts at 60) or with acceleration (faster than any of the tractor trailers)
All in all it impressed me. It drives well around town and handled an 800 mile drive well without ever getting hot.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #2337
Bus Geek

Precisely. The hp ratings are all over the place on the 5.9s. Granted other parts may have been upgraded also. I'm looking for a simple fix that will give me a bit more top end when needed.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #2338
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Precisely. The hp ratings are all over the place on the 5.9s. Granted other parts may have been upgraded also. I'm looking for a simple fix that will give me a bit more top end when needed.
The biggest problem involved with increasing HP in a bus is keeping the cooling system sized adequately for the task at hand.

On RE buses moving enough air across the core is the big issue.

On FE buses getting enough core to cool is the issue.

If your bus engine is rated at 160-190 HP you will have a different radiator than if it was rated at 200-250 HP. You will have a significantly different radiator if your engine is rated for more than 250 HP.

If you up the HP for those sprints onto the freeway you probably won't have too much of an issue with overheating. But it will be very tempting to keep your foot in it while pulling a grade. It will be at that time that you will overheat.

If you don't overheat on the coolant your exhaust gas temperatures will spike high enough to melt down your pistons. More fuel can create more fire. More fire will create a whole lot more heat. And if that heat is trapped in the combustion chamber long enough it will literally melt the tops of your pistons.

On the other end of the engine is the other problem you will encounter when upping HP. Allison transmissions are pretty stout, including the AT540 series of transmissions. They will stand up to a lot of abuse as long as they are used within their design parameters. I have seen a lot of buses with the AT540 go the whole service life of a bus and never need anything outside of oil changes and filters. Increase the HP from 190 to even 210 and you run the real risk of toasting the transmission. The same can be said if you have an MT640 and you up the HP from 250 to 300 HP.

It is one thing to modify an engine in a pickup that will rarely ever see a total combined weight of 20K lbs. It is a totally different thing to modify an engine that is always running around at weights in excess of 20K lbs. Add a trailer or toad out behind with total weights in excess of 30K lbs. the ability to melt down becomes very real.

It is much better to get the power package you want in a bus rather than swapping and modifying what you got. The $$$ spent will end up being significantly more than if you had purchased the bus with the big HP engine in the first place.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #2339
Bus Geek

Thanks Coach, those are all the bad things I was afraid of.

I do appear to have a full size radiator and my fan only kicks on when I near the tops of mountains, but then I'm not going full throttle either. You're right about those long pulls through long mountain passes and being tempted to use the extra hp. I do intend to get a hitch, front and rear, but don't intend to haul a toad. My toad will be a dual sport bike inside the lift door.

I've been unsatisfied with the power on this bus, but it is slowly improving. As fas as I know the 8.3 isn't used in this TC1000, but I can fantasize. It's been explained that the 8.3 is a lower rpm engine, so my theorizing has serious flaws.

This is interesting, because for several years now I've been telling people to buy the right bus instead of changing it after the purchase. This bus just doesn't seem to come with the option of a larger engine. I'll get used to it the way it is.

On a second note, are there issues with p-7100 adjustments? Haven't done that either. I'm guessing it's the same advice. Keep it stock for longevity.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #2340
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yes there are probably economic savings to going and looking for the right bus and hoping to find something that may not exist.. but just like Hotrodders and Street-rodders.. sometimes you just gotta, or want to, build what you want... nothing wrong with either one,. but generally you gotta pay to play when it comes to power oin general at leats power done right for lonegivity..

if oyu turn up the screws and do something that turns up RPM, thats where you can get into trouble... engines that have lived their whole lives at a certain max RPM then are turned up to a higher redline are very susceptible to breakage..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote