Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #351
Bus Nut
 
skoolie_n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 446
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
What do you guys think? I presume since this is not a school bus, that the body is fiberglass? Maybe a little pricey?
1998 BLUEBIRD BUS EXCELLENT CONDITION CUMMINS DEISEL

And this? i kind of like the side window AC unit idea
https://treasure.craigslist.org/rvs/5549113152.html
__________________
n00b build > http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ily-10122.html
Not my fault if anything I post results in someone losing a finger...
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #352
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 3,100
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
What do you guys think? I presume since this is not a school bus, that the body is fiberglass? Maybe a little pricey?
1998 BLUEBIRD BUS EXCELLENT CONDITION CUMMINS DEISEL

And this? i kind of like the side window AC unit idea
https://treasure.craigslist.org/rvs/5549113152.html
that first one looks to be in good shape!


the second one was called mini-birds..
definitely was a school bus
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #353
Bus Crazy
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 1,858
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
In comparison, last October my '97 Bluebird TC1000 was $2,600 with 167K on it.

This first one appears to be basically the same as my current 26'r, but with the city bus setup and windows. I like white buses and that looks good from what I can see. It also looks like someone is trying to double their investment in the bus or maybe it's a dealer. I'd love to have it but that's too rich for my blood.

That second one; Can you imagine all the hours that went into detailing that paint job? That body style reminds me of Grumman vans, only with windows and seats. Something like that would make a good spare bedroom for when family visits, especially if it was free.

You're not finding anything on Public Surplus?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #354
Bus Nut
 
skoolie_n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 446
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that first one looks to be in good shape!


the second one was called mini-birds..
definitely was a school bus
-Christopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
In comparison, last October my '97 Bluebird TC1000 was $2,600 with 167K on it.

This first one appears to be basically the same as my current 26'r, but with the city bus setup and windows. I like white buses and that looks good from what I can see. It also looks like someone is trying to double their investment in the bus or maybe it's a dealer. I'd love to have it but that's too rich for my blood.

That second one; Can you imagine all the hours that went into detailing that paint job? That body style reminds me of Grumman vans, only with windows and seats. Something like that would make a good spare bedroom for when family visits, especially if it was free.

You're not finding anything on Public Surplus?
The $$$ of the 1st one was what jumped at me, too...but i do like the style and color.

2nd bus..i'm starting to like that body style! i see these a lot in MDC, probably because roadways are too narrow for larger busses!

Nothing interested me on public surplus from FL...passing time viewing entries from other states...yearning to work on mine...
__________________
n00b build > http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ily-10122.html
Not my fault if anything I post results in someone losing a finger...
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #355
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 6,160
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
time out purely by calendar?? or time out as in they may not have a lot of miles but have become unsafe by caracking, rotting, etc??

do you really throw a tire out because its just "old" or only when it shows signs of damage?

-Christopher
On something like a bus, the date codes on your tires become much more important than a car.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/27175273/...hool-bus-tires

adding weight to a bus doesn't help things any.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #356
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 3,100
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
On something like a bus, the date codes on your tires become much more important than a car.

CBS46 investigates the age of school bus tires - CBS46 News

adding weight to a bus doesn't help things any.
the ionly reason I ask is because usually as a tire ages physical and visible signs will shoew that the tire is getting unsafe...

the steel belts arent goingto rust encased in rubber.. thoiugh they might if there are deep cracks in the tire and the belts show - visible aging..

my last bus the tires were old but showed no signs of cracking or dry rotting because IO kept them treated and the bus was stored indoors away from the harmful UV that often is the demise of rubber...

are you saying there was likely hidden non visible aging to my tire that caused it to be unsafe ? they were past their code but looked and drove like new...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #357
Bus Crazy
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 1,858
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
If you're being inspected under the school bus rules, the requirements are considerably more stringent than the general public is used to. Generally speaking these truck tires are quite high quality and we sure aren't going to use them like a trucker would. The will very likely age out before we're even half way through them. It's a fact.
I have driven farm trucks with heavy loads on old cracked tires that were visibly way beyond their years of service. It was low speeds but hauling large loads. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there.
Point is if my tires are timed out and I still have 80% of the tread remaining and no apparent visible damage, I plan to continue using those tires. The tire shops are not shy about telling you when you need to get new tires, or when you can use them beyond the normal life if they are still in good condition. Perhaps I will get two new steer tires and continue running the older tires on the rear. I don't know yet. Check back in 8 years.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #358
Bus Nut
 
Docsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arizona via Baton Rouge
Posts: 640
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
time out purely by calendar?? or time out as in they may not have a lot of miles but have become unsafe by caracking, rotting, etc??

do you really throw a tire out because its just "old" or only when it shows signs of damage?

-Christopher
I believe commercial tires are replaced based on age and not wear. I mean, semi's get new ones every few years due to mileage. Are you going to put 300,000 miles on your bus in 8 years? I'd be lucky to get 150,000 and I drive across country 4 times a year.

Of course you did say you had a shortie, which your tires may be smaller than the ones on my hog. I have 11R 22.5's.
__________________
My build thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467197
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #359
Bus Crazy
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 1,858
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Please don't make me drive the tires off this bus.

I think I'd be lucky to get 30 or 40K on these, then I'll time out.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #360
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Talkeetna, Alaska
Posts: 18
1958 studebaker bus. A bit rusty but interesting.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/5563353279.html
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.