Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2023, 01:24 PM   #6461

Wanted to buy

im wanting to buy an international school bus with a DT360A ENGINE AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION. body condition is not too important to me as the body will be used for storage.

im wanting something that i can take the body off of and then put my 1 ton 82 GMC crew dually body on, shorten the frame by moving the spring mounts forward to fit my bed. ill end up putting in a divorced transfer case and then 5 ton military axles and wheels.

i live in RURAL south dakota, so lots of dirt roads and lots of snow, will use this rig to plow our driveway and to get my wife to work at the hospital when conditions are bad!!!
on january 28th 2019, i went into a comma with a staph a infection. there was a blizzard outside and a deputy had to throw me over his shoulder (i weighed around 170 pounds) and carry me to my neighbors truck so they could take me to the ambulance at the state highway. last year our road was closed because of 12 feet of drifted snow. we had to get out another direction. luckily our yukon xl has 35 inch mud tires on it. and that was a struggle!

the bus needs to be an early 1990's to have the right engine, and it must have a manual transmission. it also has to be a conventional and NOT a pusher or sloped hood to work for me.
if the bus has rotted tires i have a friend with a semi truck and lowboy trailer in iowa that can transport it for me.
putting my body on the bus frame is no work like doing a engine swap would be. my truck runs and drives i just need something bigger than i already have and iv'e converted skoolie's with this engine/trans combination in the past . im a 65 year old former mechanic.
thank you!

insanecandycane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #6462
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I rarely see DT360 busses anymore for sale.. the engines come up for sale pretty regularly as do the typically used spicer 5 speed transmissions. is the 1 ton chassis shot? im thinking a 1 ton should be able to be body lifted and a 360 swapped in..

a lot of the DT based school busses that age esp full length have the heavier Budd or dayton hubs.. so you might need to swap out spindles or axles to get the right size wheel hubs for your wheels of choice.. there were short busses built running on the 19.5" 8 lug wheels which would be a good hub fit for that 1 ton.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #6463
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
helping my son off and on to put a 360 in a 2003 350 super duty that had the 6.0.
mods so far to get it in are front cross member , move tranny crossmember, cut out part of the firewall, custom make motor mounts and next is cowling the hood to clear the vicious clutch fan. couldnt fit enough electric fans to move enough air. but its in and solid.
turbo down pipe this weekend if we get house/yard chores done tomorrow while i am smoking a turkey.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:46 PM   #6464

yep, that the thing with putting an engine in a pickup truck frame, lots of mods to be made.
putting a body on a bus frame is a lot easier.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:36 PM   #6465
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Saw this in person last year and on FB just now. For those of you who want a toy hauler.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0168364015727/
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:55 PM   #6466
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Here's one for someone with a little vision and (a lot of?) spare time:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-gmc-tdh-3501-rv/

(probably also gonna need more than $300 by the time this one's over)
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:20 PM   #6467
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
🤯 BB Shorty Command Center

Zephyrhills, FL

Day 1
⏰Auction Date: Jan 19
TAMPA GOVT SURPLUS EQUIP/VOC TRUCK AUC

www.proxibid.com/1997-BlueBird-TC1000-Bus

City of St Petersburg (P932), VIN: 1BAHBCSH9VF076980, odom reads 012,538 miles, pwd by Cummins 5.9L 6-cylinder diesel engine, automatic transmission. Equipped with: Cummins Onan generator, pwr heated mirrors, fresh air/heat blower fan, Whelen controller, PA system, bathroom, spotlights, awning, shelves and cabinets,microwave, mini fridge. Limited function check completed at check in.

This rig was apparently professionally built for the well funded & fairly wealthy city of St Petersburg, FL. (☥Home of Scientology) It does not appear to have much wear. it's."Move-in ready." Just add beds in the back room,🚪on the other side of the interior door! Driving with A/C? idk 🤷
I'm familiar with the auction house. Good folks.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:55 AM   #6468
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Its like a wanderlodge in fun size.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:49 AM   #6469
Bus Geek

it does drive with A/C.. they were still using it when I had my place in st pete in 2016-2018.. I saw it on the road a few times and always had the windows closed.. am guessing they ran the generator.. I seem to remember it being labelled as part of the police department and it would be out around city events like christmas festivals and music events.. always wondered what it was about.. ill bet that sells for 15K plus... maybe not.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:18 PM   #6470
Bus Nut

Smile

Even this, 1/2 dead, olfart will be watching this one.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:20 PM   #6471
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
TAMPA GOVT SURPLUS EQUIP/VOC TRUCK AUC
Wow, this one almost makes me want to start on a second skoolie. Good thing I'm not clinically insane.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:45 PM   #6472
Bus Crazy

Community Outreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
it does drive with A/C.. they were still using it when I had my place in st pete in 2016-2018.. I saw it on the road a few times and always had the windows closed.. am guessing they ran the generator.. I seem to remember it being labelled as part of the police department and it would be out around city events like christmas festivals and music events.. always wondered what it was about.. ill bet that sells for 15K plus... maybe not.
----------------------
St Pete may have more than one of these or possibly it was repainted. The auction item is blue, with a slightly different swoosh on the sides. Surely the same South Florida motorcoach outfitter.

Community Resource Center Volunteer Team
"In 1992, the St. Petersburg Police Department set out to develop a partnership with neighborhood associations and community residents to augment the agency's community policing philosophy."

A photo from 2014

Here again in 2017

They've been using as a mobile community outreach center, heath-&-wellness and neighborhood crime deterrent.

🚍We could likely query it's entire provenance via public records.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:49 PM   #6473
Bus Crazy

Sold: $16,500

She Gone!
Auctioned today for only $16,500

I queried the vin though Bluebird's database This TC1000 was originally sold new to Lee's Custom Coaches, Inc, out of Largo, FL. Per public records, Lee's (no longer outfitting coaches) had numerous contracts to build these coaches, commissioned by several Florida counties.

Any persons planning to commision a skoolie build, ought to be searching for something more comparable the aforementioned item. The sale demonstrates the tremendous depreciation of the original investment. Counties need not perform any labor, nor recoup any expenses. The obsolete equipment is disposed of & replaced.

(St Pete's new rigs have quad slide-outs on Freightliner M2-106 chassis. Totter-Homes.)

[URL="https://www.frontlinecomm.com/new-deliveries/stpetepd-c-45x-4-0"][Img]https://8271928.fs1.hubspotusercontent-na1.net/hubfs/8271928/St.%20Pete%20C-40X-4/
Old 01-20-2024, 08:12 AM   #6474
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Not mine but listed by a friend who tried to run a ski bus to the local hill. Message them for more details. I have not personally looked at the bus but if serious I can check it out / drive it and give you my unbiased opinion.

Ted
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:26 AM   #6475

NMNA: 3 window handicap 1995 INTERNATIONAL 3800 DT466 Central Point OREGON

https://www.auctiontime.com/listings...rnational-3800

Toad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:12 AM   #6476

28' FS65 Cat C7 Allison 2000 handi 105k mi
Tracy-Clark NEVADA
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?lid=82947999

Old 03-13-2024, 03:40 PM   #6477

please understand that im wanting the DT360 engine because it has none of those sensors that can fail. i know the engine well and have even supped them up some. they will NOT be affected by any ELECTRONICS KILLING WEAPONS , NATURAL OR MAN MADE.
one day every one of your electronically controlled vehicles will be able to be bricked if your social score is NOT high enough, or any xyz excuse the government desires. you might be ok with them bricking your car, but I AM NOT. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK THEY GOING TO DO, SINCE THEY PASSED A LAW THAT SAYS ALL NEW VEHICLES ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A KILL SWITCH INSTALLED AT THE FACTORY?? they will use that "kill switch" to force you to comply with anything they tell you, if you do not comply, your car/truck/rv is not a BRICK!

a bus is usually rated as a 28,000 pound vehicle. that means the frame is heavy duty and much stronger than a 1 ton trucks frame.
as for tire and wheel selection? i did say that i was going to swap in some 5 ton military axles and wheels. used tires will be fairly cheep and im just NOT into any FLASHY CUSTOM OR EVEN CHROME wheels. in my opinion and opinions are like rectums, everyone has one, the modern automobile just keeps turning into a bigger piece of dog poop every year . the DT360 will happily run on vegetable oil or the used engine oil drained out of BRICKED CARS!

im 65 years old and a former mechanic. i have converted 2 busses into mobile living use. the first one in 1988 and the last one in 2006. before that my grand father built a bus into a mobile hunting/fishing paradise, and he died in 1974.

MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON SKOOLIES DOES NOT WANT SUCH AN OLD ENGINE AS THE DT360.
SINCE IM BUYING MORE REMOTE LAND IN ANOTHER STATE and moving there, ill make the bus body livable and use it to pull a trailer (old camper i gutted out) we use for storage. the 1 ton will pull a smaller camper we use for storage, and ill hire a trucker to move our 53 foot refer trailer there too.
buying an old camper and gutting it out is much cheaper that buying a utility trailer or a storage building for that matter. and there is no requirement to buy license and pay taxes while it is used for a storage building.

i recently aquired a 1968 ROLITE "FOLD UP" CAMPER! i will either fully restore it, or offer it for sale to someone to RESTORE. it even has the spare tire and i have a nice clean title from the lady that purchased it in the 1990's and put it in a private campground on a lake for her families use WHERE IT SAY FOR 25 FULL YEARS!
TODAY I put a modified shelter logic garage over it with 6 mill clear green house plastic to prevent any wet weather doing damage to it. it is just to RARE and too original and too nice to do anything but restore it!
i did NOT intend to offend anyone with my comments, in case someone gets offended, everyone has their opinions. so i apologize in advance just in case .
Old 03-13-2024, 05:55 PM   #6478
Bus Geek

I love my dt360 but is a sled for a heavy bus. You want a dt466, the best years were 94-96 in dognose and in Amtran a mechanical 466 was available iP through 97 and early 98 flat nose. They are mechanical and do well with being turned up. It seems like you are going to build a heavy rig. Get a couple spare in frame kits and you have a pretty bulletproof setup as long as you never have a bottom end failure like a spun bearing ..

Personally all the conspiracy stuff is BS and I just laugh at it but fully mechanical diesels are no joke really good solid engines that have proven themselves. Dad has a 1980 scout diesel that’s got 375K and still starts up and runs .. even on crappy fuel it runs .

I remember losing an alternator in it and drove home hours in a cold night. The voltage was so low the heater fan quit and the headlights were just a glow but it got me there..
Old 03-14-2024, 10:09 AM   #6479

2003 International 3000
T444E
VIN: 4DRBRABL23A952391
Mileage: 124438

5-window length: rear handi door + drive side emerg exit door

https://www.govdeals.com/asset/57/18897

Old 03-16-2024, 01:52 PM   #6480
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
1949 CD Beck & Company beck motor coach

Found this on Marketplace - Salado Tx.
$2,500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

Seller's Description
1949 Beck Motor Coach Bus. Still has all the original features and only driven 26,870 miles.

Plenty of history with the is beautiful old bus. Originally the Southwestern Trasit Co Fort Hood Shuttle until 1959. The original bus driver purchased the bus from Southwestern in 1960 and sat on a ranch in the San Saba area before being driven back to Killeen in the 80's. Who knows, maybe Elvis had been sitting on these seats?

I'm told that the bus still drove however is missing the radiator. This would be amazing restored and I purchased to make a tiny house.

I have the title. I will not reply to Is this available messages.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9961.jpg  
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote