Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #1101
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post
So the fix for these buses will be cleaning or replacing the DPF? Or does having issues with regen mean larger issues with the engine?

Do you happen to know any info about DPF specs for this year of bus? I am guessing I could call BlueBird with the VIN and they could tell me?

Thanks for the info! Did not know about this part of the bus mechanics - something to be aware of when we purchase the bus!
Don't know specific information on this bus. Cleaning or replacing DPF is going to be expensive. There are ways around it but not something I would discuss on a public forum. This type system has only been in place since 2007.

Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #1102
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
While under-body storage can be nice, make sure not to get one with too much storage under it. You'll still want enough free space under there to hang tanks, route plumbing, etc.
If there is more storage than free space, some of the storage will become free space. As of now it will be a weekend/vacation warrior. So losing some storage space to a couple of tanks and battery boxes wouldn't be the deal killer for me. It actually would make it a bit easier to mount the tanks possibly, and the batteries.
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #1103
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
Don't know specific information on this bus. Cleaning or replacing DPF is going to be expensive. There are ways around it but not something I would discuss on a public forum. This type system has only been in place since 2007.
Copy that! Thanks for the info - something new to learn about diesel mechanics, lol.

Is there a good way to test this when purchasing a bus?

I am guessing on a newer bus like this, there maybe stored information that a dealer can look at prior to purchase? We plan to find the bus that looks good and hire a local mechanic to inspect the bus for us. We also have a good friend that is willing to travel with me to pick it up.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #1104
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread. That's will be my next read. They are in the lead for where I may buy a bus. I am seriously leaning toward a rear engine... Most have the full storage underneath, would save some time with some of the systems.
I want one
Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #1105
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Quote:
If there is more storage than free space, some of the storage will become free space. As of now it will be a weekend/vacation warrior. So losing some storage space to a couple of tanks and battery boxes wouldn't be the deal killer for me. It actually would make it a bit easier to mount the tanks possibly, and the batteries.
I don't follow.

How would having a metal box in the way, that's designed to support a couple hundred pounds, make it easier to mount a tank to put 800 pounds of water in?
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #1106
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Copy that! Thanks for the info - something new to learn about diesel mechanics, lol.

Is there a good way to test this when purchasing a bus?

I am guessing on a newer bus like this, there maybe stored information that a dealer can look at prior to purchase? We plan to find the bus that looks good and hire a local mechanic to inspect the bus for us. We also have a good friend that is willing to travel with me to pick it up.
The newer the bus the harder to fix and more expensive it is.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #1107
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I would fully second that! That's most of the reason I bought a mechanically injected bus. Although I am really tempted to go on this one as a second bus.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...ew?auc=1773047
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #1108
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
What about something like this? It has a 5.9L but guessing an older and possibly less complex/cheaper to repair transmission?

I am also guessing this would be sans emissions controls that seem to be an issue for newer buses?
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #1109
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
On my RE I found even with the storage there's a lot of room between the frame rails, unless you get one where strorage goes all the way thru
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #1110
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
I just want that 98 that was robbed from me!

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #1111
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
On my RE I found even with the storage there's a lot of room between the frame rails, unless you get one where strorage goes all the way thru
Yep. That's what I was talking about.

Quote:
What about something like this? It has a 5.9L but guessing an older and possibly less complex/cheaper to repair transmission?

I am also guessing this would be sans emissions controls that seem to be an issue for newer buses?
Link?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #1112
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I don't follow.

How would having a metal box in the way, that's designed to support a couple hundred pounds, make it easier to mount a tank to put 800 pounds of water in?
I would have to fabricate something to begin with. Having it housed in a semi weather tight area wouldn't be the worst thing. If it comes to it, I would still hang the tanks, but the place I hang them would be enclosed. In my head the fresh water will reside at the rear of the bus beneath the bed, with a toilette on one side and a shower on the other. Then some bunk space for the crumb snatchers, then a kitchen/lounging area. A three season camper, with the possibility of a southern journey south is the working plan. Oh and on a budget! Lol.
It also seems, from what I have been able to gleen from the threads I have read so far, that some of the rear engine rigs have a bit more head room. I am.not planning on a roof raise, so that is also desirable.
I hadn't thought about the load limit of the storage bins, and I thank you for the heads up. I am still a bit away from actually purchasing anything... Need as much info as I can get!
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #1113
Bus Nut

Quote:
I would have to fabricate something to begin with. Having it housed in a semi weather tight area wouldn't be the worst thing. If it comes to it, I would still hang the tanks, but the place I hang them would be enclosed. In my head the fresh water will reside at the rear of the bus beneath the bed, with a toilette on one side and a shower on the other. Then some bunk space for the crumb snatchers, then a kitchen/lounging area. A three season camper, with the possibility of a southern journey south is the working plan. Oh and on a budget! Lol.
It also seems, from what I have been able to gleen from the threads I have read so far, that some of the rear engine rigs have a bit more head room. I am.not planning on a roof raise, so that is also desirable.
I hadn't thought about the load limit of the storage bins, and I thank you for the heads up. I am still a bit away from actually purchasing anything... Need as much info as I can get!
On a rear engine, there won't be any room to hang tanks behind the rear axle. All that space is used up with transmission, engine, radiator, muffler, and air tank. I can't speak to what all is mounted behind the rear axle in a FE, but the farther back you go, the more at risk you are of catching the tank on something (pulling out of a parking lot, railroad tracks, etc). There's a lot of variables to consider.

Mounting the tanks to the frame rails inside a pass-through box could be done, I suppose. But it would be cramped quarters working in there. I wouldn't do it if I had the choice.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #1114
Bus Crazy

Under the bed, as in between the floor and the mattress in a frame (steal) to keep it from becoming an 800 lb projectile.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #1115
Bus Crazy

Quote:
On a rear engine, there won't be any room to hang tanks behind the rear axle. All that space is used up with transmission, engine, radiator, muffler, and air tank. I can't speak to what all is mounted behind the rear axle in a FE, but the farther back you go, the more at risk you are of catching the tank on something (pulling out of a parking lot, railroad tracks, etc). There's a lot of variables to consider.

Mounting the tanks to the frame rails inside a pass-through box could be done, I suppose. But it would be cramped quarters working in there. I wouldn't do it if I had the choice.
Not nessaerly true, I removed the muffler which opened up a nice big space & mounted my black tank there, granted it is made out of steel because it's mounted right behind the Rt rear dually's.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #1116
Bus Nut

Quote:
Under the bed, as in between the floor and the mattress in a frame (steal) to keep it from becoming an 800 lb projectile.
Ooooh, gotcha. I wasn't thinking of mounting it inside. That has the added benefit of keeping the tanks from freezing in the winter.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #1117
Bus Nut

Quote:
Not nessaerly true, I removed the muffler which opened up a nice big space & mounted my black tank there, granted it is made out of steel because it's mounted right behind the Rt rear dually's.
Where did you put the muffler?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #1118
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Where did you put the muffler?
Don't need one, with the turbo it's really not any noiser, plus I ran it staight up & out the top
Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #1119
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:

I know behind my rear axle (between the frame rails) is at least 12' of space....

ONLY PROBLEM, is getting gray water and black water drain plumbing from outside the frame rails, up and over the axle, and into the center of the rails.
This ramp slides in a rack that's mounted between and lower than the frame rails. Since this picture was taken, I've removed the ramp & rack.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #1120
Bus Nut

Quote:
Don't need one, with the turbo it's really not any noiser, plus I ran it staight up & out the top
Haha, that reminds me of an old guy my dad grew up around. Guy that worked for him knocked a stack off a truck and asked him what he wanted him to do. He said "f*ck it, it's got a turbo, that takes the "pop" out of it. Keep driving it."