Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #1181
Skoolie

Hey guys, honest opinion on this one? I checked it out yesterday and liked it. Without much negotiation and dropped the price to 5K but I'm sure tax and Licensing will be included on that price AZ it's from a dealer. If anybody is familiar with this motor would really like to hear your take on it

1988 Blue Bird All American FE 84 Passenger School Bus

Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #1182
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutm8 View Post
Hey guys, honest opinion on this one? I checked it out yesterday and liked it. Without much negotiation and dropped the price to 5K but I'm sure tax and Licensing will be included on that price AZ it's from a dealer. If anybody is familiar with this motor would really like to hear your take on it

What is the true mileage? 30k can't be right on a '88
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #1183
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Six grand is a lot for so old a bus.
What is the mileage actually?
The Cat 3208 is not a great engine. I've seen it referred to as a "throw-away" engine. And countless vehicles such as RVs with the 3208 replaced at 100,000 or so.
But on a bus this old, any sort of work may or may not have been done -- engine, transmission? Service record would really matter here.
It is a full 40 feet long.
The MT643 transmission is "the good one".

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #1184
Skoolie

I was thinking that they had possibly thrown a new engine in there.... triple A has a lot of buses spare parts Motors Etc so when I saw 30 K I imagined they put something newer than it but I'm assuming the price would be higher. At that price if the motor is not a great one I'll probably pass on it anyway. Thanks for the input guys
Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #1185
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutm8 View Post

I like it! Other than the price and Cat.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #1186
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
I've never owned anything with a 3208 in it, but my understanding of it is that it's a fairly decent engine. Cat designed them to be a "disposable" engine, but they actually turned out to have a decent amount of longevity. That said, they're still a Cat and you're going to pay premium prices for any parts you need.

And I've always really liked the looks of those older All Americans with the stacked round headlights.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #1187
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I've never owned anything with a 3208 in it, but my understanding of it is that it's a fairly decent engine. Cat designed them to be a "disposable" engine, but they actually turned out to have a decent amount of longevity. That said, they're still a Cat and you're going to pay premium prices for any parts you need.

And I've always really liked the looks of those older All Americans with the stacked round headlights.
that is one of the main reasons I was so drawn to it, I love the look of it. Also really like the driver's area hand the manual old school door. Will be buying for those reasons but definitely a plus
Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #1188
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post

I've heard similar. That they're decent. But hard to start, thirsty, and a bit gutless on the highway. From what I understand they make better stop and go engines than they do interstate engines.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #1189
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Oh, forgot to mention...

With the 4.63 rear end and the MT643, it's going to go about 64 mph at 2,400 rpm (which is about where those engines like to run). But like EastCoast said, the "gutless" factory might come into play and it might not be willing to hold that speed on any semblance of an incline.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #1190
Skoolie

That would be a no-go then, it will be getting a lot of travel and see a lot of incline. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #1191
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Tried to post this before but somehow it didn't post ?

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5976948177.html

Is this a good bus price and features wise ? Any cons ? I've seen something similar a week or two ago for 2k less...Any comments appreciated - and if you come to see it, I'd love to tag along and kick the tires
Asking price 5500
fuel:*gas
odometer:*179000

Noob here, but you can find a diesel with less miles for less.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #1192
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
spring.. around april / may is a time i see a lot of busses locally go up for sale.. im not sure about the auction sites but I definitely see local small districts selling them... it may also be peak time for buyers as well causing busses ot bid-up.. everyone weants to start projects in the warm spring before hot summer but that can be watertight by fall... buying now has the advantage only people in southern states even consider realistically being able to work on a bus.. I realize there are those here working in cold conditions but the majority of people getting started dont want to do that.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Asking price 5500
fuel:*gas
odometer:*179000

Noob here, but you can find a diesel with less miles for less.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
I think he meant diesel...but yes, I saw a similar one a few weeks ago for 2k less. It didn't said it had a 7ft tall roof though...
Teak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #1194
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
spring.. around april / may is a time i see a lot of busses locally go up for sale.. im not sure about the auction sites but I definitely see local small districts selling them... it may also be peak time for buyers as well causing busses ot bid-up.. everyone weants to start projects in the warm spring before hot summer but that can be watertight by fall... buying now has the advantage only people in southern states even consider realistically being able to work on a bus.. I realize there are those here working in cold conditions but the majority of people getting started dont want to do that.
-Christopher
I spoke to my local school district today and their auction is on May 13th. I guess thats going to be pretty close to a lot of others around here too.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #1195
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
I spoke to my local school district today and their auction is on May 13th. I guess thats going to be pretty close to a lot of others around here too.
I hope so. Cool user name BTW.
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #1196
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHooligan View Post
I hope so. Cool user name BTW.
Multiple deftones fans? Awesoooome, I'm also a fan
Old 01-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #1197
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I got an email from onlinepros (where I bought the red bus).. they have a lot of school auctions in texas coming up.. including Cy-Fair where i got redbyrd from.. I had posted a youtube video of that bus up, and a guy who went to school there says that CyFair was exclusively DT-466 busses that are freeway capable for the longest time. they bought a few of the T-444E shorties in around year 2000 as an experiment.. then went back to all DT-466 powered busses... so its worth noting when their auctiomn comes up in February that there might be some decent busses there.. though the exporters tend to hit houston fairly hard.

here is their main site.. they have some busses in a couple auctions now buit they seemed like Junkers so I didnt post them here.. but you can also see upcoming auctions and get on their mailing list if you are looking for a texas bus... once an auction goes active you can see if it has any busses or not..

they seem to be pretty accurate in representing the busses they sell and not "pumping them up".. if they dont run they tell you..

https://www.onlinepros.com/

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #1198
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I got an email from onlinepros (where I bought the red bus).. they have a lot of school auctions in texas coming up.. including Cy-Fair where i got redbyrd from.. I had posted a youtube video of that bus up, and a guy who went to school there says that CyFair was exclusively DT-466 busses that are freeway capable for the longest time. they bought a few of the T-444E shorties in around year 2000 as an experiment.. then went back to all DT-466 powered busses... so its worth noting when their auctiomn comes up in February that there might be some decent busses there.. though the exporters tend to hit houston fairly hard.

here is their main site.. they have some busses in a couple auctions now buit they seemed like Junkers so I didnt post them here.. but you can also see upcoming auctions and get on their mailing list if you are looking for a texas bus... once an auction goes active you can see if it has any busses or not..

they seem to be pretty accurate in representing the busses they sell and not "pumping them up".. if they dont run they tell you..

https://www.onlinepros.com/

-Christopher
Good lookin out man!
I'll keep my eyes on them for the elusive 466/air brakes shorty I'm holding out for.
NOn-WC-lift prefered.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #1199
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
There is an interesting bus on sandiego Craigslist.
1979 GMC. I am not smart enough to put a link in here.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #1200
Skoolie

Found a site with a bunch of buses today - appear to be a number of them in KS, OK and the midwest.

https://www.purplewave.com/search/bus