Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #1281
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses
250hp mechanical Cummins 8.3 and an MT643.

Somebody slap me, please.

I'm considering two Blue Birds for Project Albatross -- one with Detroit 8.2, and one with Cat 3208.
The 8.2 is near, and the 3208 is far -- so that's a wash, sort'a.
In either case, I would be entering an 8.3 or better on my Christmas list.

Both are All Americans. Stronger frames and more, if I understand it right...?
That's what I've heard as well.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #1282
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fixed link

I offered 24,000. He's thinking about it.

Thanks for fixing that.

I hate that eBay can't just give you a URL when you click the share button. And then I forgot to proofread my post before I hit the button.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #1283
Bus Nut

Quote:

In either case, I would be entering an 8.3 or better on my Christmas list.

Just out of curiosity, what's on the "or better" list?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #1284
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Cummins L10, M11.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #1285
Bus Nut

Quote:
Cummins L10, M11.
Nice.

And don't forget about the N14.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #1286
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Which became the ISX. I drove a 500 HP ISX for a while. Most powerful engine I ever drove, over widest RPM range.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #1287
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: t444E
Rated Cap: 210HP 28,000 GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The generator is worth more than the bus will sell for!
That is a cool looking THING... but I doubt that generator is worth 10K... maybe 2K
godisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #1288
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisgood View Post
That is a cool looking THING... but I doubt that generator is worth 10K... maybe 2K
Find me one for 2k!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #1289
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Find me one for 2k!
OK OK OK MAYBE 3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
It is at 3100 now(reserve not met SURPRISE)
I didn't notice who did the conversion, but things looked pretty nice. The walls were covered with what looked like 3/4" white ??plastic type material, with fiberglass between it and the exterior walls. Floors were covered with the "G" type flooring, that is in another post. It had been parked for about 6 mo. and they list the batteries as "dead", but they look like they might be OK. The only signs of rust that I saw were on bumper bolts, and the like. There is enough wire left in the bus to rewire 3 or 4 buses. (the light bar stays on it (whooHoo)
It is parked on a city lot at IAH Bush airport, if you want to drive it home.
How much would it be worth if it didn't run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Yeah, it's at $3,100 w/reserve not met and I'm guessing the reserve will never be met. Still, whoever ends up with the highest bid will probably be able to talk the city into accepting the bid. (I've done this before with government/city/state auctions.)

This really does look like an ENG conversion: ENG Mobile Systems, Specialty Vehicle Manufacturing

Top quality parts, and if you can find the public records I bet this thing cost in excess of $100k to the tax payers.

Probably used very little; expect to replace all rubber hoses and break it in. It's also likely depending on city regulations that maintenance records will not be released.

7.3 seems a bit underpowered but it'll still go and generator probably has very few hours. I'd also assume from previous experience that this thing was very well maintained whether it needed it or not.

I honestly can't talk myself into another bus but I think whoever gets this thing is going to be more than happy with it. ...probably even stored inside before it was replaced with something better.
Good Call I didnt think the reserve would be met either. They are probably just testing the water so to speak.

Quote:
Do you by chance know if this conversion was done by ENG Mobile Systems (usually there is a build plate inside?) If so, the overall conversion quality is going to be amazing. Literally everything will be top of the line.

How many hours were on the generator? If it's a PowerTech those things will run for 20K+ hours. I also bet those miles are original.

I'd imagine this bus cost serious dollars to build.

If I didn't have 3 other big beasts I'd SERIOUSLY be bidding on this thing. Someone here NEEDS this!

Anyone want to buy a GMC so I can buy this?!
How much would you spend on it if you did not have the GMC and it was not running?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #1290
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhawk View Post
I'm assuming your talking about the mobile vet bus. If so, I had a completely different opinion of that one.

When I looked at the photos that thing doesn't have too much of a rust problem that can be seen but it is from a humid area also near the ocean so it may or may not have rust issues. It's in pretty rough shape overall, looking pretty worn and tattered in many places. I'd guess the floor is in rough shape from all the excretions of animals that got cleaned up but some seeped places. Plus it had the animal wash bay in the back so you can guess things got wet on a typical day. My guess is it would need a pretty good cleaning and might have a smell in it that would need to get washed out and taking up the wood under the floor would get rid of a lot of smell.

I see what you guys are saying that it has a genny, hydraulic leveling, probably has gray water and fresh water tanks, etc but look closely at everything you can see it wasn't taken good care of. Knob missing off leveling controls, back door bungie corded, drivers area looks beat, the body has a lot of dings and scrapes, etc. I know I come from an aviation maintenance background but stuff like that says whoever worked on it didn't take much pride in their work or didn't know how to maintain things. Sure, the hydraulics will work without a knob but they didn't spend the money to fix it. What's wrong with the door that it needs a bungie? Things like that tell me the maintenance people didn't fix things right but just did bandaids. Again, that's just my take.

On the plus side I did think that one has a lot of stuff inside that you could sell to recoup some of your money. Those cages are probably worth a bit of money as they look well made. The surgery table would be worth some money to a pet groomer I would guess (nothing more than a guess though). That wash bay would be good for a groomer too.

I just thought even after you got it empty you might find surprises under the underlayment and the rest looked too tattered/unmaintained for me. But that's just me and we are all different.
Cages are $150 each at the most.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #1291
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Fixed link

I offered 24,000. He's thinking about it.
You are a funny guy.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #1292
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Cages are $150 each at the most.
No not the mobile vet bus .. this cool looking thing "bus" thing Public Surplus: Auction #1783269

Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #1293
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by godisgood View Post
No not the mobile vet bus .. this cool looking thing bus Public Surplus: Auction #1783269

So did anyone from here win it ?

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #1294
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
it says the reserve was never met on that fire truck so it may not have sold..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #1295
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Quote:

How much would you spend on it if you did not have the GMC and it was not running?
If I didn't have the GMC? I'd probably have an extra $30k after the ~11 years I've had it.

If it wasn't running? And I don't imagine it's not in running condition aside from needing new batteries, which is pretty common. But, let's say the motor is shot. Assuming it's an E-N-G conversion, and assuming it's rust-free and physically in good shape I'd pay more than $10k as-is. Depending on type of generator and condition of the rest of the equipment I could see spending $15k even with a dead engine.

...but that's a lot of assumptions and I wasn't interested enough in doing the research, so to me the bus isn't worth buying unless I can make room for it. (I also already have a much larger E-N-G conversion I'm working on. )
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #1296
Bus Geek

I already have 2 busses.. a 3rd would be too much for me to keep running and driven.
-Christopher
Old 02-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #1297
Bus Geek

This may be a job for Shaun and I, if it keeps getting re-listed.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #1298
Bus Geek

with a reserve higher than 10k the seller has lofty goals for what they want out of it.. unless they just want ot keep listing it so it shows up in ever ysearch engine known to man so more and more people will bid.. ive known people on Fleabay to do it.. after fleabay caught on to people bidding their own item tyey started running and relisting items esp when ebay would run specials on free listing or free relisting fees.. that way it would garner more search enginbe hits.
-Christopher
Old 02-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #1299
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If I didn't have the GMC? I'd probably have an extra $30k after the ~11 years I've had it.

If it wasn't running? And I don't imagine it's not in running condition aside from needing new batteries, which is pretty common. But, let's say the motor is shot. Assuming it's an E-N-G conversion, and assuming it's rust-free and physically in good shape I'd pay more than $10k as-is. Depending on type of generator and condition of the rest of the equipment I could see spending $15k even with a dead engine.

...but that's a lot of assumptions and I wasn't interested enough in doing the research, so to me the bus isn't worth buying unless I can make room for it. (I also already have a much larger E-N-G conversion I'm working on. )

Cool any pics of the larger ENG conversion...? as if i know what that is...it sounds cool
Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #1300
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
with a reserve higher than 10k the seller has lofty goals for what they want out of it.. unless they just want ot keep listing it so it shows up in ever ysearch engine known to man so more and more people will bid.. ive known people on Fleabay to do it.. after fleabay caught on to people bidding their own item they started running and relisting items esp when ebay would run specials on free listing or free relisting fees.. that way it would garner more search enginbe hits.
-Christopher
KNOWLEDGE