Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #1501
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
The 13 Gilbert, AZ, BBs sold from $5,950 to $7,100. Maybe that's fair for AAs with the Cummins 8.3. But they are 1991-1993 models.
I was sort of watching those buses but completely lost interest once the bidding went over $3000.

WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #1502
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I ended up with one of the 98 AmTrans from TN a couple weeks back. Felt confident that they were just pulled out of service in November so we drove the Kia down to pick it up. Checked fluids, fired it up and drove off. Maxed out at 65, set the cruise and put my feet up on the dash. I'm pretty happy with it so far! Stripping it out starts this weekend.
I was wondering about those. Congratulations, and happy converting!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #1503
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I was wondering about those. Congratulations, and happy converting!

Just went back and checked their listings. They have a 84 pass and two 54 pass back up for bidding. I may try to pick one of the smaller ones up for a food truck conversion.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #1504
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Just went back and checked their listings. They have a 84 pass and two 54 pass back up for bidding. I may try to pick one of the smaller ones up for a food truck conversion.
Sweet

Old 03-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #1505
Skoolie

I have been wondering - could there be a better way to track this stuff? Not discounting the hours that everyone spends combing through these sites - but it seems like there might be a market for a service that indexes, researches and then exposes good deals on buses. It seems silly that so many people have to spend so many hours looking through multiple sites to find a good deal.

I started the process of compiling a list of all the links I could find to all of the resources out there for finding Skoolle candidates (still under construction). My thought is, once I have all of these in one place, I can begin the process of building programed scripts that will scrape each of the sites and catalog all of the info that is gathered, including a dashboard showing soon ending auctions. We could prioritize the findings based on known good configurations of buses.

It seems that most state/gov surplus run their stuff through online auction sites. The counties seem to sell, either directly to buyer/dealers through bid processes or they send them online and via clearance auctions (Richie Brothers). All of the online options seem to use pretty standardized coding for their sites (i.e. the structure of the pages and their coding would allow me to grab key information and index it elsewhere).

I would be happy to take some of the upcoming free time that I will have to help the skoolie community develop a resource that everyone can use to combat or at least find alternatives to the other stuff that is being sucked up by dealers and such. What do you all think?

Not trying to hyjack the thread, but this seems very relevant. If I should break off into another thread, let me know.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #1506
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post
I have been wondering - could there be a better way to track this stuff? Not discounting the hours that everyone spends combing through these sites - but it seems like there might be a market for a service that indexes, researches and then exposes good deals on buses. It seems silly that so many people have to spend so many hours looking through multiple sites to find a good deal.

I started the process of compiling a list of all the links I could find to all of the resources out there for finding Skoolle candidates (still under construction). My thought is, once I have all of these in one place, I can begin the process of building programed scripts that will scrape each of the sites and catalog all of the info that is gathered, including a dashboard showing soon ending auctions. We could prioritize the findings based on known good configurations of buses.

It seems that most state/gov surplus run their stuff through online auction sites. The counties seem to sell, either directly to buyer/dealers through bid processes or they send them online and via clearance auctions (Richie Brothers). All of the online options seem to use pretty standardized coding for their sites (i.e. the structure of the pages and their coding would allow me to grab key information and index it elsewhere).

I would be happy to take some of the upcoming free time that I will have to help the skoolie community develop a resource that everyone can use to combat or at least find alternatives to the other stuff that is being sucked up by dealers and such. What do you all think?

Not trying to hyjack the thread, but this seems very relevant. If I should break off into another thread, let me know.
That's a great list
You can add to the auction area: Tommy Lutes auctioneer
http://tlauctions.com ( Texas based gets busses a few times a year)
To the dealer sites:
http://www.kerlinbus.com (Indiana)
http://www.macallistertransportation.com (Indiana)

Old 03-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #1507
Skoolie

Quote:
That's a great list
You can add to the auction area: Tommy Lutes auctioneer
http://tlauctions.com ( Texas based gets busses a few times a year)
To the dealer sites:
http://www.kerlinbus.com (Indiana)
http://www.macallistertransportation.com (Indiana)

Perfect!! Keep them coming lol. Will add in the morning!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #1508
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Perfect!! Keep them coming lol. Will add in the morning!
I have a ton more at home, I will post them when I get in.
Some are fair, some are ridiculously overpriced lol. Those 2 dealers range to both ends of the spectrum.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #1509
Skoolie

Quote:
I have a ton more at home, I will post them when I get in.
Some are fair, some are ridiculously overpriced lol. Those 2 dealers range to both ends of the spectrum.

One thing I have learned about dealers, they will come down on price lol. Let me start a thread dedicated to this so we don't jam up this thread. I like the real time nature of what this thread has personally.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 AM   #1510
Bus Crazy

Quote:
One thing I have learned about dealers, they will come down on price lol. Let me start a thread dedicated to this so we don't jam up this thread. I like the real time nature of what this thread has personally.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
It seems in the spirit of the thread. A resource for finding the perfect skoolie. But you are probably right. Thanks for taking the time to put that together!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #1511
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

There are only a few several dozen to look through on GovDeals and Public Surplus. Five minutes into my morning coffee, and I've "browsed" the buses for the day. I've just never felt like it was too hard, and the folks who do think its hard usually are happy to pay 3x the price for a dealer-sourced bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #1512
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
1946 Ford school bus on eBay in Oklahoma; needs... everything.

1946 FORD SCHOOL BUS

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #1513
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
https://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/6011567958.html
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #1514
Skoolie

48ft former NASA double decker bus!

Https://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/5992801389.html
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #1515
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post

That's really cool!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #1516
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
1946 Ford school bus on eBay in Oklahoma; needs... everything.

1946 FORD SCHOOL BUS
Finding replacement glass is going to be the hardest part of restoring that bus.

As for dealers, another thing I've noticed with a lot of them is that they don't even list all their inventory on their websites. Wisconsin Bus Sales (Bluebird dealer for Wisconsin) doesn't even list any used buses on their site although I know for a fact they have trade-ins sitting around the lot.

I'll have to post some pictures next time I'm over there.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #1517
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Finding replacement glass is going to be the hardest part of restoring that bus.
Why do you believe so? Looks to me... it is all flat glass. Any competent glass shop can cut automotive-grade laminated glass to any size and shape.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #1518
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post

Registering that bus for public roads may be difficult. To my knowledge, the maximum length for single-unit buses and RVs is 45 feet. Height must also be considered. Some states allow 14 feet, and some only 13' 6".

NASA may very well have used this on their own property only.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #1519
Bus Geek

Another ground-up project -- 1967 International school bus; Sacramento, Northern California.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6026863099.html

Old 03-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #1520
Skoolie

Quote:
Registering that bus for public roads may be difficult. To my knowledge, the maximum length for single-unit buses and RVs is 45 feet. Height must also be considered. Some states allow 14 feet, and some only 13' 6".

NASA may very well have used this on their own property only.
I did wonder about it being so long... hopefully it sells before my tax refund comes in or I may have some explaining to do to the wife

I've always kept a look out for a double decker, I guess being raised in the U.K. With so many of them around left a soft spot for them.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote