Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Not a skoolie, but a really tempting unicorn.

So this is not a skoolie and I apologize if it's not ok to post here.

I'm still looking for a (preferably partially converted) short to mid-size bus. When I came across this. 26' Uhaul Box truck with modified box, already insulated and a pretty neat, but still basic, interior design. I love the raised overhead cabin and I think it ould look great with a nice paint job on the exterior. Thought some of you here might find it interesting.

1988 International, diesel.

Close to zero information in the ad. So here's my question: What should i ask the seller?

- transmission (what's good, what's bad)
- mileage
- mpg maybe?
- rust (it's in Montana)
- which material is the insulation

What else? I don't know much about busses/trucks.
Thanks!

https://missoula.craigslist.org/rvs/...483561410.html

ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there was a couple really neast tricked out box trucks at the last Skoolie gathering.. they have their advantages like already having an empty boc with high headroom ready to build on... obviously they need insulated real well, but then you can cut your own windows, wire it, etc.. or go xompletely stealth like one of them did by cutting no windows and just skylights... it looked like a box truck, not a camper or home..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHieronimus View Post
So this is not a skoolie and I apologize if it's not ok to post here.

I'm still looking for a (preferably partially converted) short to mid-size bus. When I came across this. 26' Uhaul Box truck with modified box, already insulated and a pretty neat, but still basic, interior design. I love the raised overhead cabin and I think it ould look great with a nice paint job on the exterior. Thought some of you here might find it interesting.

1988 International, diesel.

Close to zero information in the ad. So here's my question: What should i ask the seller?

- transmission (what's good, what's bad)
- mileage
- mpg maybe?
- rust (it's in Montana)
- which material is the insulation

What else? I don't know much about busses/trucks.
Thanks!

https://missoula.craigslist.org/rvs/...483561410.html
It's a international? Isn't the dt466 and at 643 a decent guess? I mean, Idk...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
It's a international? Isn't the dt466 and at 643 a decent guess? I mean, Idk...

Would be except the pictures look like a V8 and manual transmission.

I would guess that it could be 6.9idi
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Would be except the pictures look like a V8 and manual transmission.

I would guess that it could be 6.9idi
Bigger is better huh?

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

The construction style on that thing is a nightmare, honestly.
Just having dew TOUCH that chip/sawdust/glue wood turns it to mush.
(It will get wet, too.)

The engine is decent, 6.9 is what it should be, but could be a 7.3 also. Non-turbo though, so the thing is gutless.
Another thing, look at all the wood in there. What do you think it weighs?

It already needs springs for sure.

Looks like it sat for years and years. (Hoses. belts, water pump, tires, brake lines (is it the abortion juice brakes those were famous for?)

This one is a prime example of a 6500 dollar dream that will cost 16,000 more to finish.
Even finished, those extensions will rot off the top of the body in a couple of years.
Better to admire than purchase.
caseythenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

That's identical to my '88 U-Haul... although I haven't messed mine up like that!

The box looks like it's aluminum (some came with fiberglass-reinforced plywood sides, which tend to separate and rot). But it's already been pretty well destroyed by their questionable construction decisions. The wood looks nice inside but there's no way it's going to stay water-tight even if it never went on the road.

All these trucks came with hydraulic disc brakes, 5 speed transmissions, 7.3 IDI engines (non-turbo, real loud!), and rear air suspension. They had different rear axle ratios, mine will top out at 69mph though.

The air springs aren't terribly expensive or difficult to replace, but even with new ones it's tough to get the entire air system sealed up so they don't leak when it sits - they're deflated in the pics.

Overall it's an extremely simple, easy to work on, reliable truck. But this one's been butchered... The roof is a single 8' x 26' sheet of aluminum, and while it might be possible to securely patch the holes they cut in it, for $6500 I wouldn't bother.

Another thing is the vinyl on the sides... originally they were painted white with U-Haul's vinyl graphics. When U-Haul sold them, they'd cover the whole thing up with white vinyl. Then someone else put new vinyl over that, which you can see peeling. There's no way to get it all off other than an EXTREME amount of manual labor!
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut

You're going to have height issues with that Uhaul rig. 13 feet is the limit to safely travel down most interstates. When you get off the interstates the heights get a lot lower for overhead structures like powerlines. Some overpasses are as low as nine feet. I have ran into this when I use to own lifted 4x4 vehicles.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote