Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Traveling

Ohio Schools Council Buses, Anybody bought from them?

Ohio Schools Council sells buses on Public Surplus. I don't recall if I saw someone say that Ohio buses are good, I thought I did. Do they have a good reputation? They currently have two decent looking Thomas 84 passenger buses up for auction, 99 and 2000.

I'm looking for sources of good 84 pass. buses and have found a couple. All are Thomas though, and none have International engines.

WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
some people think ohio busses have a lot of rust.. they can and may have more rust than some of the southern and western busses.. Ohio has pretty stringent inspectiuon criteria for busses ot be able to run.. but even so that depends on the ionspector who actually does the evaluation.. some are stricter than others...

my bus is an ohio bus.. I have Some rust underneath but nothing rotted out and have had a cpuple unforeseen mecahnical issues.. one was induced by me.. (installed a piss poor A/C belt).. the other was a brakes compressor died 500 miles into my maiden voyage.. no warning no belching oil, etc so i cant say that it was a known defect.. othewrwise ive put 6000 miles on this bus in the nearly 4 months ive had it...

if I were in oregon id probably be looking at busses in Utah and colorado before I looked at busses in ohio... those busses seem to be the cream of the crop with the biggest engines, best transmissions.. and alot of those areas use sand instead of salty on the roads in winter so less rust on them..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
Traveling

I lived in Denver for a year and a half. There is plenty of salt there. No salt in Oregon though.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldn't if you're from Oregon. Look in California and Arizona, places in Nevada, etc. I got mine from here for the only reason being that I live here. Unless you come out and do your own rigorous inspection, and get one helluva deal on it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

check out Bob Dorris Jr on youtube he just did a bus from ohio
not sure if he is on this forum or not
mtlove1492 is offline   Reply With Quote