Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Ohio inspections are tough to pass.. my guess why they seem to have good mechanics.. certain parts of the state use more salt than others...

the district mine came from has a large amount of country roads to cover... more often than not the back roads in ohio are many times tar and gravel as opposed to full blacktop.. they are snow-plowed down but not all the way and then sand mixture is dropped on the roads as opposed to salting...

I know the biggest challenge rust-wise with mine was the roof.. small-town ohio is known for lots of tree lined streets.. so we had to do some rust repair on the roof where tree limbs had wrecked the generally not perfect quality carpenter-bus paint...

I also believe handicap busses in smaller districts may be treated with more kid-gloves as those districts know they need those type busses to last longer due to the excessivecosts associated with replacing a handi-cap bus...

I DO know that i would stay away from any IC busses that come from ohio.. the cheapie materials the IC's are using now are rusting out quite quickly...

but then the district of columbus where I live beats the crap out of their busses and I wouldnt wish anyone a bus from this district...

not too many busses come up from columbus because until recently they had contracted with first sudent for 90% of their transportation needs.. first student bought used busses and then ran them into the ground... 2 or 3 years ago columbus canned the contract and bought 400 brand new IC's.. and now that those busses are off warranty they are quickly in over their head maintaning them...

the smaller districts around can and do sell busses themselves.. and some of those suburban districts release busses that are actually in pretty good shape.. but being in close proximity to the city they list them quite HIGH.. first student Used to buy them and then run them in the main city..

I dont know where they go now but seems like since first student no longer buys them up that the prices for some decent busses have come down.. still more than most want to pay here.. though I did look at a 2009 IC CE300 at a decent price.. but RUSTY! the underside had the normal floor-surface rust but the outside ribs already had rust around and under them.. only 60k miles.. thought about geting it for its allison 2000 and DT466( I think.. or was it a maxxforce DT? have to drive by it again).. plus I know I could sell the 2 Thermoking A/C systems for some $$$..

its tires are Good Year (RSA?) with a date code from 2013..

of course the tag on it says everything works.. but i didnt call on it.. I dont need another bus... still tempting though for parts..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Here in Wisconsin First Student usually orders stripped down bare bones IC buses with nooothing on them whatsoever - leaf spring rear suspension, hydraulic brakes, only one driver fan. They don't even come with heated mirrors They then run them into the ground and dump them at auctions when there's absolutely no life left in them.

In a few years the used bus market will be flooded with the newer style IC busses with those awful Maxxforce engines. They will be complete and utter lemons without exception.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #33
Bus Geek

I thought the Maxxforce7 was the failure of an engine. on par or even worse than the VT-365... but I had heard better things about the MaxxForce DT which is what replace the Maxxforce 7...

I went back and looked at that 09 I saw.. for real... the oil level is over-full and seems thin... the engine has a "skip rhythm" when started.. the bus is in fact a CE200 (I had thought 300) and has the MF7 with the sequential turbos.. and the common rail fuel system that failed so miserably... the rust is a lot worse than what I thought as there was water on the floor inside that had come from both A/C units in yesterdays storms.. the seat feet are pretty rusty which means its leaked for a long time.. who knows that the floors under the rubber are like..

bith A/C units work although 1 condenser is down 2 of 3 fans.. the compressor would rattle after the unit ran a bit.. so that A/C compressor is shot or greatly shortened lif.e.... and they still wanted that high price for it????

I did measure the driver window and a similar one has a shot at fitting my carpenter.. so I may be able to replace mine with a brand new one from IC.. thats the only good that came out of that meeting...

-Christopher
Old 06-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SafTLiner
Engine: CAT 3126
I started seeing a lot of these pricing variations and got mildly worried that getting a decent bus was going to require 6k or more. There does seem to be some impact in the bus market from the large uptrend in youtube bus conversions and tiny homes.
RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #35

Hi all. First post here. My son and I have wanted to go full time RV for 6 years now and are hoping this year is finally the year. Most of our stuff has sold and house goes up for sale next week!

Our current plan is to go skoolie. Just read through this thread and am wondering if you have any advice for us to find a bus that isn't selling at such a high price? We are in FL and it sounds like this might not be the best place to try and buy one.
branley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by branley View Post
Hi all. First post here. My son and I have wanted to go full time RV for 6 years now and are hoping this year is finally the year. Most of our stuff has sold and house goes up for sale next week!

Our current plan is to go skoolie. Just read through this thread and am wondering if you have any advice for us to find a bus that isn't selling at such a high price? We are in FL and it sounds like this might not be the best place to try and buy one.
I like KY and TN buses. What part of FL are you in?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Thanks. That's helpful.

I'm in Clearwater.
branley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...28&acctid=6588

Quote:
High Bidder: l*****d
Sold Amount: $7,910.00
Buyer's Premium (10.00%): $791.00
Total Price: $8,701.00
A really lackluster run-of-the-mill bus is now nearly nine grand?
Man, I feel better about my bus every day!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
add N C to that, good clean busses
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...28&acctid=6588

A really lackluster run-of-the-mill bus is now nearly nine grand?
Man, I feel better about my bus every day!
wow!! I think thats an example of what I mentioned earlier.. 2 people likely got in a bidding war over it that were accustomed to paying dealer prices and so they bid up that bus against each other thinking it was still a "deal".. and not likely an exporter or a dealer wouldve given a 1/2 that for that bus.. maybe an exporter definitely not a dealer..

-Christopher