Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Opinions on rust?

Well, normally people day don't link a bus you want, but anyone has probably seen this one already....im really liking this bus, and am currently winning the bod, but would like a second (or third or 4th) opinion about the rust I may be getting myself Into.

I was unable to get pictures of the underside, and only have the interior shot of the stairs to base my judgement off of. Should seeing this rust on the stairs and dash be a warning that the undercarriage could be pretty bad? I'm expecting rust, just not sure how bad it could be. Didn't see any rust around wheels and lug nuts so that seemed promising

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...270&acctid=898

jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Skoolie

From the pics, I’d buy it if I were looking.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
Well, normally people day don't link a bus you want, but anyone has probably seen this one already....im really liking this bus, and am currently winning the bod, but would like a second (or third or 4th) opinion about the rust I may be getting myself Into.

I was unable to get pictures of the underside, and only have the interior shot of the stairs to base my judgement off of. Should seeing this rust on the stairs and dash be a warning that the undercarriage could be pretty bad? I'm expecting rust, just not sure how bad it could be. Didn't see any rust around wheels and lug nuts so that seemed promising

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...270&acctid=898
Good luck...interesting it's restricted to US...but looks good...Idk if it states where it's from...lots of the TX coastal towns flooded during Harvey...lots of northern states use metal devouring chemicals on their roads

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Bus Nut

It's in Missouri, North West area. I'm thinking this could be the one if price stays right. I expect rust and to do some treating underneath it, just hoping it's not too bad
Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
When I lived in Missouri I was amazed at how fast things rusted. Then I moved to Florida, holy hell I'm amazed I haven't started rusting myself.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Opinion?...rust sucks. Just had a Galveston School District bus on the local news last night. Parents of the kids had videoed the incredible amount of rust on it speaking out with their safety concerns. Looked like it could collapse any minute. Spending it's life pretty much on the beach in salt air takes its' toll...rapidly. Go inland thirty miles and it's not a problem.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Opinion?...rust sucks. Just had a Galveston School District bus on the local news last night. Parents of the kids had videoed the incredible amount of rust on it speaking out with their safety concerns. Looked like it could collapse any minute. Spending it's life pretty much on the beach in salt air takes its' toll...rapidly. Go inland thirty miles and it's not a problem.
Possibly flooded?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #8

Year: 2000
Engine: 3126 CAT/AT545
Rated Cap: 26
it looks like that school isn't afraid to run their rigs in the slop. did you notice the set of chains on the bus parked next to yours? I would suspect a fair amount of rust on this one.

where I'm from in the northeast, school gets cancelled if the weatherman says we might get a dusting. in fact I have never seen a set of chains on a bus in my area.
JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Bus is outside KC my Bluebird came from an adjoining district (Independence) has about the same mileage the only rust it has is the lower two steps seems to be little if any on the underside or the frame.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
Bus is outside KC my Bluebird came from an adjoining district (Independence) has about the same mileage the only rust it has is the lower two steps seems to be little if any on the underside or the frame.
you are awesome. hopefully this school district took similar care of their buses as yours did.

if it stays within my budget and doesnt jump 7.5k the last day like the last one i bid on, this may be my bus
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
it looks like that school isn't afraid to run their rigs in the slop. did you notice the set of chains on the bus parked next to yours? I would suspect a fair amount of rust on this one.

where I'm from in the northeast, school gets cancelled if the weatherman says we might get a dusting. in fact I have never seen a set of chains on a bus in my area.
Where are you in the NE that cancelled school because of a dusting of snow? In Ct. if the snow was heavy they sent a snowplow out and the bus just followed it to the school. I only remember 1-2 days that we were let out early due to a freaking blizzard. Here in Ga. if there is ice on any section of road hindering student pick up, then the whole town shuts down all schools, if 1 student can't make it, none have to go.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
Bus Nut

im not gonna lie, never having driven a bus, all those damn switches seem a bit overwhelming
Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That’s a nice looking bus. Yes, the stairwell has a little corrosion on the stairs likely from the kids tracking in salt. If you look at the base of the service door there is nothing showing but good steady paint. Same for the back door. No chair lift.
You don’t have to mess with most of those switches. Put your glasses on and read the tags on the switches. If your mirrors are frosted you’ll figure it out pretty quickly.
That’s a near perfect size that will drive like a pickup truck. I’d buy it if I had to change horses. Looks good for in or near the rust belt. Then again it’s likely you’d know more about rust issues since you live there.
Gonna get it?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That’s a nice looking bus. Yes, the stairwell has a little corrosion on the stairs likely from the kids tracking in salt. If you look at the base of the service door there is nothing showing but good steady paint. Same for the back door. No chair lift.
You don’t have to mess with most of those switches. Put your glasses on and read the tags on the switches. If your mirrors are frosted you’ll figure it out pretty quickly.
That’s a near perfect size that will drive like a pickup truck. I’d buy it if I had to change horses. Looks good for in or near the rust belt. Then again it’s likely you’d know more about rust issues since you live there.
Gonna get it?
I live in Texas, far from the rust belt. I will be getting this bus as long as it stays in my budget. Already winning the auction for nown and I'll be in between both my jobs when it closes so I'll be on the pc watching
Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Looks like a really clean bus! That small amount of rust on the step well looks to be isolated to that area at least.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Bus Nut

on to the next one i guess. i was willing to put 3200 into it, cuz i figure thats what i can still having enough for insurance, plane ticket, return trip, etc., and someone just bid it up to 3250
oh well. luckily theres plenty of buses out there
Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There are certain times when people don't pay attention to the auctions, like christmas and tax time. After April 15 you'll notice prices pick up.