Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Opinions on this B600 short bus

Wondering what everyone's thougts are on this Ford B600 short bus.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5446111385.html

Also wondering if any one would have any idea on what MPG it would get.

Owner suggested it took $30 to drive from LA to Sandiago and back, I guesstimated this to work out around 20 MPG which seams very good but I am skeptocal on weather it would obtain such good economy.

Another I was looking at is a 1983 International

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/5506144558.html

Wanting to convert it into. Little hippy love bus for my girlfriend and I to travel the Americas in. We are both from Australia and don't have such buses so any info and guidence would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Shanu

Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
You would get that kind of mileage if you were going downhill...both ways...with the engine turned off...being pulled by reindeer...and being pushed by a tribe of African Pygmies.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Both are too expensive. $2500-$3000 is more realistic. And 20 mpg? No way. 10 is more like it.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Don't forget there was probably a very strong tailwind on the trip to San Diego at the time. Not sure about the reindeer, they're probably already booked.

I love those little buses. I'd prefer the diesel engine, but for an '88 and what appears to be a bunch of bucket seats in it the price seems quite high. Maybe they go for that much in your area, I have no idea. The '88 is a nice bus and the mileage is great. The other bus is nice too but personally I won't get another gasser. It all depends on how you want to use it.
Those short buses tow great, depending on your power setup. Problem is you can't get much into them. You might think you won't spend that much time in the bus, but if you're traveling cross country you will. You're probably going to spend a lot of time fixing it up like the rest of us, or partially. Whatever suits your needs.
I like both buses. I think they probably are both in quite remarkable condition for the age. They look good in the photos but I wouldn't pay that much for either of them.
I know that doesn't help you. To much information missing, but I think you're on the right track. Spend some time reading any of the build threads that interest you.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote