Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Places to purchase a Bus

Would it be possible to start a list of websites, dealers, auctions that sell buses as a sticky? These are just a few I frequent that seem to have decent buses at fair prices. Are there others you can add?

Auctions:
https://www.govdeals.com
https://www.publicsurplus.com
https://www.purplewave.com

Dealers:
Avery's Used Buses Trucks Emergency Rescue Vans
Midwest Transit Equipment | New Buses and Used Buses for Sale
https://www.buscrazy.net
Buses For Sale: School, Tour, Mini Shuttle, Prevost, Ford, MCI | www.BusesForSale.com
Northwest Bus Sales: Used & New Buses for Sale

Others:
Craigslist.com
Searchtempest.com

kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Auctions
http://www.onlinepros.com
422 Sales

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hi! I am new here and have been reading so many of these threads trying to educate myself before I ask a lot of questions, though I'm about at the point to start asking questions about specific buses...
I did look at all these sites for buying buses, but I wanted to mention (especially for other new people) that this bargainbusnews.com doesn't seem like a very good site because they are selling this bus I already saw on craigslist (listed for $9500) for $16,900 (!!!):
1976 American General Bus 9078 - Antique Buses, Motorcoach Conversions - Buses for Sale

I don't really know if its a deal at 9500 or not but I can't imagine why it would be almost double on their site and I wonder if they actually have the other buses there or if they just find stuff on craigslist and post it? Anyways, here is the other post in case anyone is interested in it: https://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/d/tour...412494505.html
matengi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Canyon State Bus Sales – Phoenix, Arizona
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Looks like a brand new site just opened to buy and sell your skoolies.

https://convertedschoolbus.com
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmmm. A sign of the times?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hmmmm. A sign of the times?
Always a new site/company trying to cash in on this. Its always geared toward the uninitiated, tiny-house beholden crowd.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbyrd70 View Post
www.ConvertedSchoolBuses.com
Was just listed three posts up.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Was just listed three posts up.
New to site but I have been reading for a while. I think I may have passed your place the other day are your buses kinda blue?
Chunderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunderboy View Post
New to site but I have been reading for a while. I think I may have passed your place the other day are your buses kinda blue?
In eustis?
nah, my bus is yellow and its out in Sorrento.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
In eustis?
nah, my bus is yellow and its out in Sorrento.
OK. Some other guy is selling school buses on 437, a little north of 44.

You must be exceptionally close to where I live.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
OK. Some other guy is selling school buses on 437, a little north of 44.

You must be exceptionally close to where I live.
Oh, yeah he's a used car lot?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh, yeah he's a used car lot?
No I don't think so. Just a guy with some buses on his land I think. I passed it really quickly so I cannot say for sure. Are there many people into conversions around here?

Did I read earlier that you buy your buses from auctions sight unseen? I am definitely wanting to take on a conversion but I am just in the research phase right now. I have no idea as to the 'best' type of buses. All I know is that I like the classicly shaped buses and I want a full size.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
No I don't think so. Just a guy with some buses on his land I think. I passed it really quickly so I cannot say for sure. Are there many people into conversions around here?

Did I read earlier that you buy your buses from auctions sight unseen? I am definitely wanting to take on a conversion but I am just in the research phase right now. I have no idea as to the 'best' type of buses. All I know is that I like the classicly shaped buses and I want a full size.
Everyone here will recommend checking out a bus thoroughly before bidding and laying down hard earned cash. While this is extremely good advice, I bet many here who recommend that ended up buying a bus sight unseen. For some it just doesn't pay to fly around the country at about $1000 per trip to check out every bus that looks promising. Due diligence can keep you from buying a rusty bucket. Most auctions you can call and get maintenance questions answered. many auction buses have just come out of the school system and records can usually be found. In my mind if I get taken after doing as much research as I can for $2k-$3K, it isn't going to kill me and I'd just flip it and start over.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Everyone here will recommend checking out a bus thoroughly before bidding and laying down hard earned cash. While this is extremely good advice, I bet many here who recommend that ended up buying a bus sight unseen. For some it just doesn't pay to fly around the country at about $1000 per trip to check out every bus that looks promising. Due diligence can keep you from buying a rusty bucket. Most auctions you can call and get maintenance questions answered. many auction buses have just come out of the school system and records can usually be found. In my mind if I get taken after doing as much research as I can for $2k-$3K, it isn't going to kill me and I'd just flip it and start over.
So now that I have purchased a bus unseen I will digress and say that it is important to try and know as much about the purchase before dropping hard earned cash on a bus. The one I bought turned out to have tranny issues that may or may not have been an easy fix. But being in the middle of BF,Egypt and not equipt to do any work on it I was very fortunate in that the seller had no problem refunding my money. I suspect in most cases it would not have gone this well and they could have told me to pound sand and get my bus off their lot. This would have required an expensive tow to somewhere that I would have had to pay to get the issue resolved. I'm prelooking at my next find.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Bus Geek

i think if you can get someone to look at one its the best scenerio.. but there asre times like EC's bus where it made its 1000 mile maiden voyage fine but then major issues occured right after it was home... at least it was home... one never knows what schools might do to patch something together enough to bring a decent price at sale.. I never used to think that school directors cared what happened to the busses after they decommisioned them.. then I learned that ion some districts, proceeds from used bus sales are partially or wholly given to transportation departments to use for tools, equipment, training classes, etc.. in those cases the schools would want the busses to run and bring the highest at auction even if they fell apart 3 days later..

there are now services and individuals starting up making their business out of going out and looking at items for sale on auction sites.. it first started with Lease cars.. the last 2 cars ive leased I never went to the dealership for the pre-turn-in inspection.. a 3rd party came out.. and completely evaluated the car.. these independent parties will also do the same for private buyers looking to scope out auction or out-of-town for sale vehicles.. some of them will just take pics and listen to it run.. take a video.. others will face-time or Skype with you Liove and you can ask questions to them and the seller right on a video call. "wegolook" is a national such company and may be higher priced than others..

other options if you want to take it on yourself is post an ad on say letgo, offerup, or craigslist where you'll pay someone 'X' to go out and look with you on the phone, video chat, etc..

obviously forum members close by are often willing to go look at a bus for you and help you determine what it is.

also use the Q N A on the auction sites... they typically answer or give a phone number you can call to get specific questions answered.. ive seen more than once where a defect was posted in the QnA section of an auction site after someone asked about it.. but the original descriptipn was obviously just a cut N paste from every bus the district has for sale..

the auction site QnA can help with things top speed, gearing, etc.. as can the VIN.. if you get serious about a bus, snag the VIN off the auction site (its usually there).. and call a dealer... Navistar for one, can tell you exactly what trans, rear end gears, wheel and tire size etc that was factory on the bus you are looking at.

-Christopher
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Since you assume I am an unscrupulous seller and that I would flip while hiding known problems, then I can rightfully assume you are a complete asshole.

As far as buying a bus from someone who hasn't own it very long could mean that it's a bus that was purchased recently at an auction purposely to flip for better money. Doesn't at all mean that there are issues.
there are also people that buy a bus and then realize when driving it home that a bus isnt for them.. or they get ready or start the project and realize they are in over their head.. and thus flip a perfectly good bus with nothing wrong..

its not bad karma to buy stuff and sell it.. thats kind of how the world works...
-Christopher
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there are also people that buy a bus and then realize when driving it home that a bus isnt for them.. or they get ready or start the project and realize they are in over their head.. and thus flip a perfectly good bus with nothing wrong..

its not bad karma to buy stuff and sell it.. thats kind of how the world works...
-Christopher
What you say is true....

It's not bad karma to buy and sell "honestly"........
And some people "may" sell fast for various reason with no bad intentions.... I never said otherwise.

But there are also people who get burned and then burn somebody else to recoup their loss..........
A fact..commonly happening every day...
Far more liars and scammers out there than truthful sweet innocent folks.......... another fact!

So my point was/is..... beware...know the truth....
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #20
Bus Geek

I'm trying to find gasser bus models, specifically those with the early-oughts GMC 8.1L "8100", ideally 4x4 and/or 4.10

Any tips on a way to learn what year/models to look at, how to filter through the auction listings?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote